Pre-Game Talk: Week of Hope (WAS, CAR, FLA, TB, STL)

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He didn't say. My guess Briere.

I hope that third line works, if so we might finally have 3 lines that make sense.

Hope you are wrong. Cliche has been bad recently. Gave up a goal against Dallas and Carolina and was the only reason (minus Varly giving them a PP) Washington scored their goals and won the game.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So we're looking at a Top-9 of

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-O'Reilly-MacKinnon
Everberg-Mitchell-Rendulic

Correct?

I hope to hell that the 4th line is something like

McLeod-Talbot-Briere

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Awesome to hear about that 3rd line...and I really hope it's not Briere out...he obviously isn't a dominant offensive player like he was 7-8 years ago but he hasn't been bad either.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Cliche will be the scratch.

3876625-2030816004-95.gi.gif

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
How can Roy use Guenin's +/- to argue for how good he is while not using Holden's -15 to argue against him?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We will get to see the lines that people have been calling for.

Tangs-Duchene-Iggy
Landy-ROR-MacK
Everberg-Mitchell-Rendulic

Time to see if they work.

Halleluja. Mack away from Talbot, and Everberg-Rendulic both with Mtichell. :bow:

This will be their best line tonight.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
This is the first time I've ever seen Roy say Talbot might be a healthy scratch at some point...

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_27326337/avs-discuss-how-reduce-shots-against-dennis-everberg
Cliche has been a healthy scratch only once previously this season, while also missing five games with an oblique injury.

"We're going to have an extra forward and I think it's going to creat some competition," Roy said. "(Thursday night), it's going to be him, the next game it could be (Daniel) Briere, it could be (Max) Talbot, we'll make a decision. Let's see how our guys play (Thursday) and then we'll make decisions. I think it's healthy for our team in that it creates competition."

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sounds like Roy is trying to take some pressure of the defenders by talking about the responsibility of the forwards when Avs don't have the puck. And part of the problem is that they're not backchecking as hard as they could be and they give way too much space along the boards and near the blue line. Avs are rarely in the position to get the puck back and they are not even forcing mistakes by pressuring the other team.

Same with the breakout. Forwards fly the zone early instead of making sure to provide support in the breakout. At the same time, several of our defenders tend to use panic clears even when they have good passing options, leading to less possession.

There are so many problems at the moment it's hard to sort out what is what.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is the first time I've ever seen Roy say Talbot might be a healthy scratch at some point...

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_27326337/avs-discuss-how-reduce-shots-against-dennis-everberg

That's the best news I've heard in a long time. That he's willing to lay Rendulic and Everberg, even if it means scratching Talbot. That means he finally believes in them, and sees that Talbot doesn't do **** on the ice unless it's on the PK. Which O'Reilly seems to have taken over as the #1 forward option.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sounds like Roy is trying to take some pressure of the defenders by talking about the responsibility of the forwards when Avs don't have the puck. And part of the problem is that they're not backchecking as hard as they could be and they give way too much space along the boards and near the blue line. Avs are rarely in the position to get the puck back and they are not even forcing mistakes by pressuring the other team.

Same with the breakout. Forwards fly the zone early instead of making sure to provide support in the breakout. At the same time, several of our defenders tend to use panic clears even when they have good passing options, leading to less possession.

There are so many problems at the moment it's hard to sort out what is what.

since that is so unique thing, in a sense that pretty much no other team except avs do that, i think it's coaching thing. maybe the players aren't executing it the way he wants it, though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Talbot is very effective in games when he's going absolutely ******* all over the ice, hitting, diving for loose pucks, battling like crazy and shooting, shooting, shooting. When playing the Flyers early this season you could tell he was turning it up about five notches. Unfortunately we just don't see that Max Talbot often enough...maybe some rest would do him a bit of good and we can see the "whirling dervish" again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad