Pre-Game Talk: Week of Hope (WAS, CAR, FLA, TB, STL)

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
6 points in 5 games isn't good enough.

I agree but this is a tough stretch of games and I see no way they don't drop a couple. But as long as they can pull out enough points to stay relevant we won't have to go on a 10-0-0 run later in the season to actually have a shot.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Hedman and Tyler Johnson are both hurt.

Coach Jon Cooper said he was unsure if either player would be available for the Lightning's game Tuesday at the Boston Bruins.

Seems like it will be a game by game basis. I hope Hedman is back against the Avs at the least. Would enjoy seeing him play.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Roy has to find a way to stop the bleeding. Avs allow way too many shots against and the only time the team seems to play with the right intensity is when they are down a goal or two and have to push. Something's off with the team.

Also, they have to stop giving a good effort for 20-30 minutes out of a game. Avs seem to think they're hot **** and they're not all that hot.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Roy has to find a way to stop the bleeding. Avs allow way too many shots against and the only time the team seems to play with the right intensity is when they are down a goal or two and have to push. Something's off with the team.

Also, they have to stop giving a good effort for 20-30 minutes out of a game. Avs seem to think they're hot **** and they're not all that hot.

I've taken a look at the shift charts of the last couple games, and in most any game the Avs have one of those momentum shifts and they push, it's right when Roy shortens his bench. Notably, he benches one player in particular. You could probably guess which one. Note how Tyson Barrie suddenly becomes a factor again when that happens. It's because there isn't a black hole on skates wearing #5 sucking the entire team into the defensive zone.

That, more than anything else, is what's "off" with the team.

I'll also add that during those times, Brad Stuart actually isn't pinned to the bench and the team still does okay. I'm still not enamored with him but he certainly isn't the problem at present.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Don't know where else to ask this so I'll do it here: When the Avs get all of the right pieces to surround their existing core, do you guys think we will be a team like the BlackHawks that will be atop of the league year after year? Or we will be a team that is good enough to make a run only once or twice?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Don't know where else to ask this so I'll do it here: When the Avs get all of the right pieces to surround their existing core, do you guys think we will be a team like the BlackHawks that will be atop of the league year after year? Or we will be a team that is good enough to make a run only once or twice?

No, because so far there are no indications that Avs top players can be consistent year after year.

Who is comparable to Toews and Kane?

Maybe MacKinnon will become consistent and put up big number every year, but Duchene, Landeskog etc...they're not consistent enough for the Avs to get to Hawks level.

You can surround your team with anyone you want but if your top players are inconsistent, you're gonna have problems.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Barrie hasn't been a factor in a while unfortunately. He's had a couple nice assists but he can give much, much more.

You're right, he can. Give him a better partner at even strength for longer than part of one period and you'll see better results.

As for the power play, well, pretty much everyone is underachieving there.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City

It's been a year and a half that they allow way too many shots. They get dominated by almost every teams and are not tying games late, winning in overtime, it's a lot of the same play as last year minus Mack and Duchene being non factors. Other

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy is doing his radio show tomorrow morning. If anyone wants to give the radio guys ideas on questions, I'd recommend tweeting them (@natelundy, @VicLombardi, @MikeEvans1043). Who knows if they'll ask them but it can't hurt, and last weeks questions were horrible.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy on the radio:

- It's important to continue to play the way they've been playing. Strong 3rd period in Washington, and not a great start in Carolina, but a strong finish. Goalies were both very good in those games and gave them a chance to come back. They need to cut down on shots against.
- They still believe in Berra, but Pickard has played very well and it's a good problem to have. They're not going to change their mind on Pickard, they want him playing games, and they want him playing in the minors.
- They gave so many shots because they had more giveaways than any other games. Their gaps weren't as good and it was easier for other teams to enter the zone.
- Pickard has been a nice surprise. He played only one exhibition game against Anaheim, and he's taken advantage of his opportunity. He's been working hard in the offseason to prepare himself well, and he's taking advantage of the opportunity.
- EJ has been their best player, the reason why he's at the ASG. He would say he's been their most consistent player. Confidence is big for him, he believes in himself now and starts to realize that he's capable of joining the rush more. The freedom they allow him to join the attack fits his game well.
- Always hope your offensive guys go to ASG, but they're all aware they didn't have the best start. They're working hard at their game. They haven't produced as much as they expected.
- Duchene's goal the other day was beautiful around the net, a lot like Forsberg. He's been playing better, and last game he put him back with Tanguay and Iginla, and thought they had great moments in that game. Having ROR playing with MacKinnon and Landy, hoping they'll take advantage of this opportunity.

More after break. Weak so far.

- Asked about relationship with Sakic. You can't always agree on everything, but important part is the respect, and at the end, sometimes Joe will rally, and sometimes Patty will rally, and they always think about what's best from team. They like input from Joe, sometimes he'd watch games from press box and come down and give his opinion. Roy likes when he does that. It depends on the situation, yesterday he spoke to Joe, he thought they needed more size and speed in lineup, so they sent down Street and brought back Everberg!!! They thought about lines, Everberg will play with Mitchell and Rendulic! Joe liked the idea, they both agree it's something they want to try.
- Broncos had a good year, played against a good team and we'll see what they do over the weekend.
- They're happy with EJ/Hejda, and Holden and Stuart are fine together, Guenin and Barrie have been a pretty solid duo. He mentioned Guenin's +/-...
- He doesn't see why hockey is different from other sports as far as having more egos. He said it seems to him hockey normally has team first players, but it may change a bit.
- Florida brings great memories from Cup run.

Everberg - Mitchell - Rendulic is great. Glad Roy wants that.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We will get to see the lines that people have been calling for.

Tangs-Duchene-Iggy
Landy-ROR-MacK
Everberg-Mitchell-Rendulic

Time to see if they work.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
We will get to see the lines that people have been calling for.

Tangs-Duchene-Iggy
Landy-ROR-MacK
Everberg-Mitchell-Rendulic

Time to see if they work.
Yep, this is probably the best possible combination he can put out there. I also think that means Briere is headed for the press box. If so, trade the guy for a pick or prospect.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yep, this is probably the best possible combination he can put out there. I also think that means Briere is headed for the press box.

I think that is likely.

I don't know if it is best combos, but at this point, it needs to be tried for a while to see if it can work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad