Pre-Game Talk: Week of Home Cooking (WPG, NJ, DAL)

Tyson Jost's average TOI this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He admits disliking the Avs as well, so I'm fine with it. He's a blogger which is why he's allowed to be biased imo.
He's not a blogger anymore though, he's now one of the lead writers for ESPN's hockey because they fired everyone else.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Meh I dont have an issue with Bernier starting. He shut the Stars out last time, and played fairly well in the stretch where Varly was sick.

It's extremely important that we dont overwork Varlamov right now as well. Let him start 2 out of every 3 games and give Bernier the 3rd start for now. That way if we really are still in the playoff hunt come March, Varly should still only have ~40-45 games played and you can start to lean on him more when the games are that much more meaningful.

This was the big reason why Bernier was brought in. They wanted a reliable backup who could play 30 games if needed.

Reactions: Foppberg

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I was under the impression we signed Bernier because we had absolutely no one else to backup Varly and he was willing to take a one year contract

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So sorry I'm late with the GDT guys...likely inaccurate info aplenty as I rushed it. Had a potentially tense situation at work today with a former employee that ended up going a lot quicker than I expected. Anyhow, it's up.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Is anyone else starting to become very concerned with Varly? Relief appearance vs Dallas aside, he hasn't looked good this year and he has been trending downwards since 13-14. He had a .927 SV% and 2.41GAA that season; then 14-15 had a .921SV% and 2.56GAA; then 15-16 had a .914SV% and 2.81GAA; now, this season he's off to a winning start but has a .905SV% and 3.09GAA.

This team goes nowhere if he isn't playing above .920SV% IMO. Something to watch moving forward.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Is anyone else starting to become very concerned with Varly? Relief appearance vs Dallas aside, he hasn't looked good this year and he has been trending downwards since 13-14. He had a .927 SV% and 2.41GAA that season; then 14-15 had a .921SV% and 2.56GAA; then 15-16 had a .914SV% and 2.81GAA; now, this season he's off to a winning start but has a .905SV% and 3.09GAA.

This team goes nowhere if he isn't playing above .920SV% IMO. Something to watch moving forward.
I've been on his case for a while, and was actively arguing we should pick Pickard over him going forward, so yes I am/was concerned. He's very uneven in his play to go along with questionable durability, definitely not someone I would hang my hat on after his deal expires, barring a substantial turn in form.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I was on the "keep Pickard" train as well but that was because I saw no way in hell McPhee would actually select Varlamov in the expansion draft with his contract + injury issues + shallow goalie market. But it's definitely worrisome. God knows I have zero confidence in Jonathan Bernier.

It's going to suck if Varlamov continues to play like a bottom-10 starter in the league. He clearly loves it here and loves the team/his teammates, but you have to warrant your pay cheque and right now, he isn't doing that. I'd also argue he didn't earn it in 15-16, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad