Pre-Game Talk: Week of Home Cooking (WPG, NJ, DAL)

Tyson Jost's average TOI this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
His best attribute in the NHL is probably his haymakers.

He's a smart defender technically to; uses his stick, length & strength well to keep the puck to the outside and get it away from opposing players; and he uses his skating to excel positionally. So I can actually see him being a quality PKer at the NHL level...like Stuart continued to be towards the end there. But Dunk's puck skills are just so bad that he terrifies me 5on5, even if he has a partner like Barrie or Girard who can handle all of the puck-moving responsibilities.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Eh, this is quite simple to me, really. Lindholm is back and he's going to play. The organization wants Bigras and Mironov to be playing, not sitting in the press box eating nachos. Especially if they can get big minutes down in the AHL as opposed to the 9-13 minutes they're both getting in the NHL.

Siemens is a lost cause at the NHL level. He's going to be an AHLer for life and will be a player that a team can recall when they need someone to sit in the press box and eat nachos but wants to free up space on their AHL team for other players to play. He's probably not going to look any worse than how Bigras or Mironov have in the NHL this season if he gets 9-12 minutes the odd game, but the organization is also perfectly ok with him just sitting in the press box, too.

Reactions: McMetal

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eh, this is quite simple to me, really. Lindholm is back and he's going to play. The organization wants Bigras and Mironov to be playing, not sitting in the press box eating nachos. Especially if they can get big minutes down in the AHL as opposed to the 9-13 minutes they're both getting in the NHL.

Siemens is a lost cause at the NHL level. He's going to be an AHLer for life and will be a player that a team can recall when they need someone to sit in the press box and eat nachos but wants to free up space on their AHL team for other players to play. He's probably not going to look any worse than how Bigras or Mironov have in the NHL this season if he gets 9-12 minutes the odd game, but the organization is also perfectly ok with him just sitting in the press box, too.

If one assumes that Bigras won't play ahead of Barberio, then that makes sense. But I think the better decision would be to sit Barbie and tell Woody that he doesn't need to worry about being scratched anymore, before giving him ~10 games with very consistent minutes and no benchings so that he can settle in the way Zads has since first coming back from his scratches.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If one assumes that Bigras won't play ahead of Barberio, then that makes sense. But I think the better decision would be to sit Barbie and tell Woody that he doesn't need to worry about being scratched anymore, before giving him ~10 games with very consistent minutes and no benchings so that he can settle in the way Zads has since first coming back from his scratches.
Well, that'd be using a certain amount of logic. Bednar and Co. have done a better job this season than last season, but their handling of Bigras/Zadorov leaves much to be desired this season. Can't win em all, though.

That said, Bigras has been a tire fire when he's been on the ice. Maybe this is for the best, to allow him to go to the AHL and dominate for a bit.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wouldn't say Bigras has been terrible. He just doesn't get a chance to balance out his bad plays with good ones because he makes one mistake and he's yanked off the ice. I'd love to see him get a real chance out there considering that there are no expectations for anything this season, but it looks like Bednar won't give him that.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wouldn't say Bigras has been terrible. He just doesn't get a chance to balance out his bad plays with good ones because he makes one mistake and he's yanked off the ice. I'd love to see him get a real chance out there considering that there are no expectations for anything this season, but it looks like Bednar won't give him that.

While there's some truth to that, he's also been bad in long stretches with limited/sheltered minutes. I agree that Bednar seems to have kept him on too short a leash but part of this falls on Bigras too. We'll see if he gets his game back in SA. Didn't someone on here post that Bigras has a bit of a work ethic issue? I'm not about to slag on the guy or dismiss him by any means but after watching Wojtek Wolski and Chris Stewart waste the immense amount of talent at their disposal, it's disconcerting.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
While there's some truth to that, he's also been bad in long stretches with limited/sheltered minutes. I agree that Bednar seems to have kept him on too short a leash but part of this falls on Bigras too. We'll see if he gets his game back in SA. Didn't someone on here post that Bigras has a bit of a work ethic issue? I'm not about to slag on the guy or dismiss him by any means but after watching Wojtek Wolski and Chris Stewart waste the immense amount of talent at their disposal, it's disconcerting.
Bigras came to camp in poor shape 2 years Don't think it was Bleackley level where he came to camp lookin 240 lbs with great big beer looking gut right then and there the organization was done for good with him .

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I really liked Stewart when he was here, the wheels fell off after he left. But this season he's been pretty decent...1.15M cap hit and is on pace for around 24-25 goals. He's on pace for his best season since 09/10.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The only thing ominous about all this is that the Avs around this time last year were actually not that much worse than they are this year record-wise. On November 29th, 2016 they were 9-11-1 and in the midst of a big home stand. We all probably remember what ended up happening there and in the subsequent weeks that followed. I still get the impression this team is way, way better equipped to handle things than last year's merry bunch of sloggers but still, I sure wish they'd finally start stringing some wins together. Tonight would be a good start.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really liked Stewart when he was here, the wheels fell off after he left. But this season he's been pretty decent...1.15M cap hit and is on pace for around 24-25 goals. He's on pace for his best season since 09/10.

We'll see if he actually keeps that pace up. That's the thing with Stewart. He scores in bunches and makes you think he's turning the corner and then disappears for long stretches.

The wheels fell off before Stewart left, the Avs don't seem to be overly picky when it comes to off-ice conduct but they reportedly got really steamed at him during his convalescence recovering from breaking his hand on Kyle Brodziak's helmet in a fight. I suppose things happen for a reason--the Avs don't end up with EJ if Stewart isn't part of the package.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Oh....I'd definately still do the trade today. I wasn't even against it back then. I think I was more upset at losing Shattenkirk than Stewart. I just liked his physical style. Our team needed that kind of a player to keep folks honest. Remember that game he crushed Bryan Allen for trying to go knee-on-knee with Duchene?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh....I'd definately still do the trade today. I wasn't even against it back then. I think I was more upset at losing Shattenkirk than Stewart. I just liked his physical style. Our team needed that kind of a player to keep folks honest. Remember that game he crushed Bryan Allen for trying to go knee-on-knee with Duchene?

I remember being pretty steamed about the trade at the time, but obviously in hindsight I've no reservations about it whatsoever. I'm not even mad that the team took a couple low first-round gambles in Wolski and Stewart to begin with. Both proved they were potential stars. Stewart I think will just be that utility role-player guy who pots in a few goals here and there, but his fundamental flaws will always keep him from being anything more. I just read a Russo article that mentions a goal against that was made possible partially because Stewie was being super-lazy on the backcheck. I definitely do not miss THAT.

But yes, when Stewie played mean he was fun to watch. Loved watching him barrel through opposing players.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
What’s the stat? Hasn’t Barrie been like top 5 in scoring for defensemen over the past 5 years or so? Where Can I look up that stat?

Some idiot is trying to argue Barrie with me.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What’s the stat? Hasn’t Barrie been like top 5 in scoring for defensemen over the past 5 years or so? Where Can I look up that stat?

Some idiot is trying to argue Barrie with me.

Here ya go.

NHL.com - Stats

Going from his first full season in the NHL in 2014:

2014-15: 53 pts (8th)
2015-16: 49 pts (14th)
2016-17: 38 pts (33rd, this was of course his off-year, but he still managed to outscore guys like Green and Brodie)
2017-18: Currently at 17 pts, technically he's at 14 among active defenders but Klingberg leads the whole pack at 21 pts.

And that's the thing--there are a lot of ties there, if you combine all the players tied into one place each his ranking goes way higher. And this is just point totals. There are other metrics to take into consideration as well.

Don't know if he's "Top 5" but he's been one of the most consistent puckmoving defensemen in the entire league the last five years, even the one season he and the rest of the Avalanche were abysmal, he still managed respectable numbers. If he were to ever be available for trade the rest of the league would make the Duchene speculation look like nothing. That's why I just can't get over the "But he's so terrible defensively!" crowd.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Here ya go.

NHL.com - Stats

Going from his first full season in the NHL in 2014:

2014-15: 53 pts (8th)
2015-16: 49 pts (14th)
2016-17: 38 pts (33rd, this was of course his off-year, but he still managed to outscore guys like Green and Brodie)
2017-18: Currently at 17 pts, technically he's at 14 among active defenders but Klingberg leads the whole pack at 21 pts.

And that's the thing--there are a lot of ties there, if you combine all the players tied into one place each his ranking goes way higher. And this is just point totals. There are other metrics to take into consideration as well.

Don't know if he's "Top 5" but he's been one of the most consistent puckmoving defensemen in the entire league the last five years, even the one season he and the rest of the Avalanche were abysmal, he still managed respectable numbers. If he were to ever be available for trade the rest of the league would make the Duchene speculation look like nothing. That's why I just can't get over the "But he's so terrible defensively!" crowd.

Thanks, man!

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The only thing ominous about all this is that the Avs around this time last year were actually not that much worse than they are this year record-wise. On November 29th, 2016 they were 9-11-1 and in the midst of a big home stand. We all probably remember what ended up happening there and in the subsequent weeks that followed. I still get the impression this team is way, way better equipped to handle things than last year's merry bunch of sloggers but still, I sure wish they'd finally start stringing some wins together. Tonight would be a good start.

I don't really agree, the records may be similar but last season even when we won it was lucky. This season we're competitive and stay in it pretty much every night.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't really agree, the records may be similar but last season even when we lost it was lucky. This season we're competitive and stay in it pretty much every night.

Oh I agree, the complexion of each team is completely different. But I'm just a little thrown by the fact that I thought for certain the fit hit the shan already by now last year, when in fact it didn't get really bad until right around this time. Terry Frei even posted an article on 11/17 that marked the occasion so that's why I was surprised.

They're a young team and the fact they're doing this well is a bonus as far as I'm concerned, and I feel greedy for wanting more this season. But by the same token I think this squad is talented enough to do more. They haven't won more than 3 games in a row (by the same token they haven't dropped a ton in a row either so...), they haven't yet gotten stellar goaltending, and I believe they've only won once when trailing in the 3rd so far. The potential for more is right there, I'd like for them to take it and run with it, even if it's only for a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad