Pre-Game Talk: Week of Hello Rock Bottom [vsCBJ | @WSH | @NYI | @BOS]

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd stick with Grubauer. Might be controversial to say but at least he was good last year, just keep rolling with him and hope it sticks because we know by now Varly is done.

Also any updates on the goalie coach(es)?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Thing with our goalies is that they were not always this bad. They were lights out at the start of the year, like wtf happened?

Reactions: McMetal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Thing with our goalies is that they were not always this bad. They were lights out at the start of the year, like wtf happened?

Varly ‘s start was slightly unsustainable and I figured he’d regress a little. But not like this.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Varly most likely re-injured his groin. He missed time with a LBI. A few games before his time missed is when he started he deep..... deep decent into horrid play. As for Grubs I'm not sure. It's probably all mental with him. After last years playoffs and some unlucky games this year, he just hasn't been good.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Varly most likely re-injured his groin. He missed time with a LBI. A few games before his time missed is when he started he deep..... deep decent into horrid play. As for Grubs I'm not sure. It's probably all mental with him. After last years playoffs and some unlucky games this year, he just hasn't been good.

Grubs sucked from the get go. Early on our top line was just out scoring everything. The record he had attached to the S% & GA was just hilarious and fugly at the same time.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Many things came together in my opinion. The defensive system is possibly the core problem along with Varly's injury issues (Grubauer just sucks although he's not as bad as he currently looks) but right now it's mainly defensive breakdowns and huge confidence issues. That's how I see it at least.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Me too. Been to busy with skiing and working to give a **** about the Avs right now.

That said. I'll be watching tonight more than likely for the first time in a while. I hope they keep it interesting enough for me to stay tuned in.
My brother is going to be at this one so I might watch so we have something to talk about, but it’s really hard for me to justify the obsession at the moment. I’m sure I’ll be back, though, they have been my favorite team for forever. Just need a break....

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

If that's the case at this point, just take him out back...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Grubs sucked from the get go. Early on our top line was just out scoring everything. The record he had attached to the S% & GA was just hilarious and fugly at the same time.

Yeah I think that's basically what happened. There were red flags all over the place even during the good start. Then Varly got hurt, the top line got burned out, and the struggles of guys like EJ and Girard were exposed.

Even Soda has managed to come back down to earth a bit. I thought he looked terrible against Columbus the other night.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It looks to me that they keep trying Varly so he can get back to where he was and then trade him. Just my opinion.

Reactions: klozge

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It looks to me that they keep trying Varly so he can get back to where he was and then trade him. Just my opinion.

I really don't think so. If they wanted to trade Varly and get anything back the time to pull the trigger was October / November as I was pushing at the time. Several teams badly need goaltending then and Varly was in great form. I think they keep turning to Varlamov because Bednar knows him...and keeps desperately hoping the Varlamov he's seen before will somehow re-emerge and save the season. I really don't think there's a strategy to it other than desperation.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I really don't think so. If they wanted to trade Varly and get anything back the time to pull the trigger was October / November as I was pushing at the time. Several teams badly need goaltending then and Varly was in great form. I think they keep turning to Varlamov because Bednar knows him...and keeps desperately hoping the Varlamov he's seen before will somehow re-emerge and save the season. I really don't think there's a strategy to it other than desperation.
Unfortunatly at that time Grubs sucked ass, so we had to keep our only viable goalie for what seemed to be a good team then.

Reactions: klozge

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
But in Oct/Nov Sakic wanted three goalies for a playoff run. Things have changed drastically since then.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The odds that the veteran starter with 200 wins under his belt will figure it out are still higher than the odds that a career backup will get hot. I get why they keep going back to Varley, he's the only goalie on the team with a track record.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd stick with Grubauer. Might be controversial to say but at least he was good last year, just keep rolling with him and hope it sticks because we know by now Varly is done.

Also any updates on the goalie coach(es)?

No. It's too late for that now. He hasn't shown even the slightest spark that would suggest he can be relied upon for the remainder of the season. He needs to be the backup and then hope beyond hope a good goalie coach is brought in to fix whatever the hell the issue is. Go with Varly (or one of the Eagles goalies) and come what may after that.

Either way, Parkkila should've been sent packing weeks ago. The time to do it would have been before the All-Star break. Allow a new goalie coach to work with the goalies while the team had time to rest.

Reactions: McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No. It's too late for that now. He hasn't shown even the slightest spark that would suggest he can be relied upon for the remainder of the season. He needs to be the backup and then hope beyond hope a good goalie coach is brought in to fix whatever the hell the issue is. Go with Varly (or one of the Eagles goalies) and come what may after that.

Either way, Parkkila should've been sent packing weeks ago. The time to do it would have been before the All-Star break. Allow a new goalie coach to work with the goalies while the team had time to rest.

Are goalie coaches easy to pull out of thin air in season? Legit question IMO..

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I'd be surprised if Cole wasn't concussed. I get the feeling of not wanting to lose a fight, but the guy wrapped you up with a free hand. Just go down. I am curious how much worse our PK will be with him out. I don't know the numbers, but I'd wager a guess that Nemeth has been out there on 50 to 60 percent our our allowed PK goals. And now he'll be seeing even more time. Yay....

Barrie was absolutely terrible last night. Cost us goals 1 and 4. He gets lost too easily in the defensive zone.

Greer looked pretty damn good in his 4ish minuets. Wish Bednar would give him a chance. It's not like LBN, Wilson and Kerfoot deserve 15 minuets a night. Spread the kid around see what he can give.

This back to back isn't going to be fun. If we don't call up Graves I shudder at the thought of Lindholm and Nemeth as a pair.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I get the feeling of not wanting to lose a fight, but the guy wrapped you up with a free hand. Just go down.
Sometimes you're in a daze because it happened so fast. There was one time I got attacked by a dog and the dog turned on me so fast that when I grabbed it by the collar I didn't know what happened. Afterwards I found out that it got like four to five bites on me including one on my rib cage (which I never even felt). Wilson didn't even allow him to drop his gloves and went crazy like the gorilla we've seen of him in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad