Pre-Game Talk: Week of Hall visiting his new home (Cgy, Phi, NJ)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he’s been a trainwreck over the last 3 weeks or so.

What in the world has Nieto done to warrant that? He's been perfectly fine as a 3rd line defensive forward, and really, even that is playing him too high in the lineup. We know the guy has absolutely no finish to his game and really belongs on the 4th line.

He'll likely be gone this offseason with O'Connor ready to take his spot.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nieto mostly played well against the Bruins with Calvert out so Bednar left him on that line but I'm glad they're going back to Calvert-Bellemare-Nichushkin. That line has been a problem for other teams.

There were some struggles early on but Bellemare is winning 51% of his faceoffs now, including some important ones late in games. The metrics are also starting to point in the positive direction now.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
One of the few things I suppose we disagree on. :eek:

It more or less goes to show you how deep our forward core is. When Compher (16 points) and Nieto (14) are in the worst 4 category with the seasons they've had, our other guys must be pretty good players or playing well.

God I love NUKE!

Reactions: AvsGuy

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What in the world has Nieto done to warrant that? He's been perfectly fine as a 3rd line defensive forward, and really, even that is playing him too high in the lineup. We know the guy has absolutely no finish to his game and really belongs on the 4th line.

Nothing to back it. He’s just been pissing me off. Running into his own players. Weak on the boards. I feel every night I’m screaming about him having full possession of the puck in the D zone but still failing at getting it out.

I’m probably more harsh on him than I should be but I feel he hasn’t looked himself.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

These lines are an exact indication of who belongs to be where.

The 4 worst forwards on this roster makeup the 4th line/extra forward spot based on what I’ve seen.

Jost is such a frustrating player to watch. He'll make an awesome hardworking play, usually ends up in the right spot to make another play then just everything immediately falls apart. He's like 85% there mentally/process wise but that 15% is everything that actually matters.

When a guy who hasn't scored in 90+ games ends up outplaying you, you know your time is up on a roster. I'd play Kamenev over Jost 10/10 times.

Reactions: klozge and S E P H

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jost is such a frustrating player to watch. He'll make an awesome hardworking play, usually ends up in the right spot to make another play then just everything immediately falls apart. He's like 85% there mentally/process wise but that 15% is everything that actually matters.

When a guy who hasn't scored in 90+ games ends up outplaying you, you know your time is up on a roster. I'd play Kamenev over Jost 10/10 times.
I’m done with both.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Nieto has been good but 13/41/11 has been a great trio.

Would it surprise anyone to find out Nieto has 14 points in 30 games this season?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Makar - possibility to play Friday
Grubauer - should play Wednesday
Johnson - should start skating this week

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

He has the smarts to be an effective player. But his physical tools do not suit this team at all.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado

Makar - possibility to play Friday
Grubauer - should play Wednesday
Johnson - should start skating this week

After listening to Bednar I am super confused as how to pronounce both Francouz and Zadorov's name. I always pronounced Z as Zah-DOR-ov - Bednar said ZAH-dor-ov. He also said Fran-cooh, not Fran-sooz? Which are right?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Kamenev hasn't looked like an NHL caliber player all season

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
After listening to Bednar I am super confused as how to pronounce both Francouz and Zadorov's name. I always pronounced Z as Zah-DOR-ov - Bednar said ZAH-dor-ov. He also said Fran-cooh, not Fran-sooz? Which are right?
His teammates pronounce it like Bednar does which is Zaderov. The entire hockey world calls him ZaDOORov even though nobody close to him does lol.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
His teammates pronounce it like Bednar does which is Zaderov. The entire hockey world calls him ZaDOORov even though nobody close to him does lol.
Z has said he doesn’t care either way.

It’s tough to break. Kadri is another one I’ve had to catch myself on since he said its not pronounced like “Cawdri”.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kamenev hasn't looked like an NHL caliber player all season

Why not bench both?

If both Kamenev and Jost keep their current play up, they won't be Avs next season. Kam because he's just not good. Jost because teams don't tend to keep around top 10 picks that disappoint... not that he can't be useful in some capacity.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol Moser is the worst for it.

"And ZaDOORov with a huge hit." He puts soooo much emphasis on the "door".
Why not bench both?

If both Kamenev and Jost keep their current play up, they won't be Avs next season. Kam because he's just not good. Jost because teams don't tend to keep around top 10 picks that disappoint... not that he can't be useful in some capacity.

I wouldn't even wait until next season for Kamenev. He's looked awful, all season. Slow, bobbling pucks, not physical. Just not an NHLer.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So far Colliton has not impressed me, but the kid may be in a little over his head. That's not a good team in Chicago.
I dunno, I feel like talent wise they should be better than they are. They made a lot of aggressive moves in the off-season, and it feels like it's all landed with a thud, and I think a good portion of that lands on Colliton and his player usage and systems. The problem with the Hawks in that 7-3 blowout wasn't a lack of talent, it was simply a total breakdown of defensive coverage in their own zone, and that falls on the coach either not using what he has effectively or his systems just not working well enough. He was very hyped before he got the job but I feel like he's really not delivering.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

I agree he's ideally a 4th liner, but I disagree about the finish. Nieto consistently scores goals that other 4th liners would whiff on - he's particularly great on rebounds and one-timers

Nieto has been good but 13/41/11 has been a great trio.

Would it surprise anyone to find out Nieto has 14 points in 30 games this season?

Wouldn't surprise me nope, I love Nieto

When we inevitably lose Long Beach and Zadorov, we are going to feel both losses more than we realize right now, they're great fits on this team

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Maybe I am endlessly optimistic or overly critical, but I feel like people whining about complimentary players is just a waste of time. Every team is going to have a Nieto or a Jost. We're in the salary cap age. Every team will have players that suck the life out of the game. Every team will have someone that plays absolutely brutal minutes on the ice.

My post isn't much more of a constructive use of time. But I feel like endlessly complaining and saying "you're finished" with such and such player is just futile.

Bednars Suit Game

Oct 5, 2011
CA

Can't agree more. He works hard and often finds himself in a dangerous spot for a shot or rebound but opts to pass it back to the wall or point.

There was a play last night where he beat some defenders, and had a nice opportunity for a shot in the high slot and passed it off to the winger on the right wall and the whole play died and the Flames regained control.

Reactions: S3rkie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad