Pre-Game Talk: Week of Excellence (STL, PHI, EDM, CBJ)

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
That's a large exaggeration, and just plain wrong, to say the least. Cliche is fine defensively. He provides no offense, but he's usually in the right spot defensively.

I agree that his defense is ok. But I still would like to see someone better. Positioning is really all he has got. But that alone isn't enough. He is ok on the PK, but nothing special. His inability to get the puck out of the zone, even in that situation, causes long shifts. And his 5 on 5 play just isn't good. That line has no offense and gets stuck in the Dzone so much. If you are going to be a defense only guy you at least have to be able to get the puck out of the Dzone. He can't pass it to team mates, and even just trying to chip it out for a shift change is screwed up too much. He really should only be playing if Talbot or McLeod is injured and we need someone for the PK who will be in position.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He's shown to be better Defensively then Talbot this year.

I would say they have been the same. Talbot is a lot better at getting the puck out of the zone though.

I know Bordy has been injured. But most of his NHL career he has had Bordy on his wing. Who would drag anyone down.

I disagree about his defense. Goaltending saves his ass.

Bordy didn't drag down Mitchell. Bordy-Mitchell-McLeod was a pretty dominate 4th line. They controlled the puck and really brought the intensity, even chipped in some offense. Bring in Cliche, suddenly that line is pinned in the Dzone constantly. Mitchell and Cliche were all that changed.

And Bordy is more than just an enforcer. Dude was quite good at puck possession. When he got the puck it wasn't just a chip up the boards like the rest of our 4th liners. He could actually fight off defenders against the boards and complete smart simple passes. He is decent around the net (rebounds/redirections) as well, for a 4th liner.

I get that you think enforcers are just a wasted roster spot, but you don't give Bordy enough credit for his other hockey abilities.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I would say they have been the same. Talbot is a lot better at getting the puck out of the zone though.

Bordy didn't drag down Mitchell. Bordy-Mitchell-McLeod was a pretty dominate 4th line. They controlled the puck and really brought the intensity, even chipped in some offense. Bring in Cliche, suddenly that line is pinned in the Dzone constantly. Mitchell and Cliche were all that changed.

And Bordy is more than just an enforcer. Dude was quite good at puck possession. When he got the puck it wasn't just a chip up the boards like the rest of our 4th liners. He could actually fight off defenders against the boards and complete smart simple passes. He is decent around the net (rebounds/redirections) as well, for a 4th liner.

I get that you think enforcers are just a wasted roster spot, but you don't give Bordy enough credit for his other hockey abilities.
I dont think he has enough good other hockey qualities to warrant an NHL contract.

It's your opinion vs my opinion. So it's hard to lay down any real arguments.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I dont think he has enough good other hockey qualities to warrant an NHL contract.

It's your opinion vs my opinion. So it's hard to lay down any real arguments.

Which 4th liners do you think have enough for a contract?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Which 4th liners do you think have enough for a contract?

In the entire league?

A few that has played on this team and left I can mention. I think Olver was a very good 4th liner. Vincour is OK. I'd rather have Van der gulik than McLeod, Cliche or Bordy. Not a huge fan of Brad Malone but he would have been better than at least one of the three we have now.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Olver was terrible, especially on the 4th line. He was too small, and didn't have any ability to play PK. When he played center, he would get dominated down low. DVDG is an AHL guy for a reason. He always had a decent spurt in the NHL then would be invisible.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
In the entire league?

A few that has played on this team and left I can mention. I think Olver was a very good 4th liner. Vincour is OK. I'd rather have Van der gulik than McLeod, Cliche or Bordy. Not a huge fan of Brad Malone but he would have been better than at least one of the three we have now.

I have to disagree on all those guys, I'm glad they are out of the org. Vincour is pretty meh in Lake Erie.

But the original question was why did Everberg have to be the one sent down, I still don't see many other options.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In the entire league?

All of those players would be downgrades on our 4th line at this point, even on McLeod. I too think you're selling Bordy short. He's not the best 4th liner in the league but as the one poster stated, he's very underrated in the offensive zone. He controls the puck very well down low and has surprisingly soft hands, with the ability to make short, effective but crafty passes down low. I knew this season would suck for Bordy because it isn't easy coming off of major surgery for a guy who already isn't the fastest skater. I think the Avs need to shut him down for the year and let him rehab, and then spend all summer working on his skating so that he can be even more effective next season

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Olver was terrible, especially on the 4th line. He was too small, and didn't have any ability to play PK. When he played center, he would get dominated down low. DVDG is an AHL guy for a reason. He always had a decent spurt in the NHL then would be invisible.

He had one game where he was awesome though. :laugh:

Trolver

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Olver was hilarious, and crazy inconsistent. When he played well he was awesome at just ticking off other teams and getting them to take bad penalties. Also hit like a truck despite his size. When he was off, he was a midget that couldn't do much.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
What's with the Bordy hate?

He was playing awesome for a 4th liner the last chunk of the season last year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I'd take Bordy over Mcleod but I still don't think he should be a regular in the lineup. But hey, what do i know? I think Cliche and Paul Carey do a solid job too :laugh:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Everberg hasn't been as good as in the beginning. But he is a better player than more than a few of the AHLers that we have in our bottom six. Wrong decision.

Would have preferered to waive Berra and run Varly and Pickard in a 2-1 ratio. But I understand doing this too.

Having Berra with us is still good insurance, because Varlamov has been healthy/injured so often this season.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Last season he was playing too much and fighting too little(although I know he had some sort of injury, so he probably couldn't fight, but it was annoying.) Only reason why Bordy got his contract is his fighting ability. Otherwise we would get someone else.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
In the entire league?

I think every name on this list is barely worthy of an NHL job. McLeod of the last few years, yes. This year though? Not so much.

Olver sucked.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Why they traded for Berra in the first place is puzzling when they had Pickard in the system.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
The last good 4th liners on this team were McClement and Hendricks.

Mitchell started as a 4C too but quickly moved up last year when Tanguay went down. Can't remember where he played in 2012 though. I like what Roy is doing to address the 3rd and 4th line deficiencies - cheap + young hardworkers with some skill - it's just going to take a year or two more to get those lines sorted out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Somebody is getting called up:

Colorado Avalanche @Avalanche · 15s 16 seconds ago
Coach Roy said he will consult with GM Joe Sakic today before calling someone up from @monstershockey for tomorrow’s game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad