Pre-Game Talk: Week of Crazy Pills (CAR: WED & CBJ: SAT)

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Practice today...wonder if we'll get some info on lines...

We may get a tweet if we are lucky. Probably at the end of practice.

I just realized that we do not play another divisional game until we verse the Jets at the end of November. Hopefully we get our [stuff] together and are ready to roll through the divisional games by that point. We have about a month to figure it out (while still winning, of course).

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Now now, ease up on your requests, Christmas isn't coming early for you guys this season. Asinine request for actual information.

:sarcasm:

We already know DP won't do anything, and I guess we can't ask BSN now because their Editor will complain about it on Twitter.

:dunno: what to do. I'm just curious to know what the lines were at practice today, while they may not be final for tomorrow's game, it could provide us some insight, and something new to talk about. Also hope to see Gormley in, I didn't get to watch all of Wednesday's game (was in class), but the word is he didn't look bad at all (although I guess he got outmuscled on some pucks?)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
We may get a tweet if we are lucky. Probably at the end of practice.

I just realized that we do not play another divisional game until we verse the Jets at the end of November. Hopefully we get our [stuff] together and are ready to roll through the divisional games by that point. We have about a month to figure it out (while still winning, of course).

Last season, through 6 games the Avs were 1-4-1, while not playing good hockey in any facet of the game (in my opinion, that is)...this year through 6 we're 2-3-1 (and could easily be 3-2-1 if it weren't for the 3rd period meltdown in game 1). Some may look at that as only a marginal improvement, but I still think considering the turnover the roster had overall, while being young in key places (20 y/o MacKinnon back at Center, and 20 y/o Zadorov) that there is big improvements. I do think the defensive play is trending in the right direction over the last 3 games, and if they had won against Carolina, people would have looked at the Advanced Stats as a big positive while producing a "W". I don't claim to know much about them, but the people I trust that do, have said that they Avs pretty much controlled that game, they just ran into a Goaltender who stole the game for his team...it happens, we should know better than most teams that a goalie can steal games for your team (hello, Varly).

If they can keep up a level of play similar to the last 3, while getting the offense going (for the love of god, shoot the puck instead of always looking for the "pretty" play!), then I think they'll hit a nice run. Yeah, it sucks we're in the Central, but the Avs are a capable team, they have the talent, and the last 3 games have been a step in the right direction (however large or small people want to view that step), they just need to keep taking them.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Last season, through 6 games the Avs were 1-4-1, while not playing good hockey in any facet of the game (in my opinion, that is)...this year through 6 we're 2-3-1 (and could easily be 3-2-1 if it weren't for the 3rd period meltdown in game 1). Some may look at that as only a marginal improvement, but I still think considering the turnover the roster had overall, while being young in key places (20 y/o MacKinnon back at Center, and 20 y/o Zadorov) that there is big improvements. I do think the defensive play is trending in the right direction over the last 3 games, and if they had won against Carolina, people would have looked at the Advanced Stats as a big positive while producing a "W". I don't claim to know much about them, but the people I trust that do, have said that they Avs pretty much controlled that game, they just ran into a Goaltender who stole the game for his team...it happens, we should know better than most teams that a goalie can steal games for your team (hello, Varly).

If they can keep up a level of play similar to the last 3, while getting the offense going (for the love of god, shoot the puck instead of always looking for the "pretty" play!), then I think they'll hit a nice run. Yeah, it sucks we're in the Central, but the Avs are a capable team, they have the talent, and the last 3 games have been a step in the right direction (however large or small people want to view that step), they just need to keep taking them.

Varly kept us in that game as well, he had to stop two breakaways. We could have lost that game in regulation.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Maybe the first game in our new thirds will be the kick in the pants this team needs. You know, because that's how stuff works.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
If memory serves me well, Gormley has an alright slap-shot from the point. At least that's what I saw when he played vs Edmonton as a member of the Coyotes. Maybe he can work well there

From what I have seen, his shot is a little less than Barrie's. His puck movement and IQ/shooting for a tip is much better than Holden though, so that should help.

Sounds like Dutchy is pretty high strung in practice today.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Everberg going straight into Roy's shut down line. Shows how much confidence Roy has in him, and makes you wonder why he wasn't up here over Rendulic to start with.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I never thought Comeau gelled well with the Sods-Mitchy duo. Glad to see him moved off of that line. I'm intrigued to see how Evs does there. They could be a possession, shut down monster line if they get chemistry together.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pretty much as expected with the lines. Didn't think Everberg would be on Duchene's wing and this is a good spot for him. Hopefully he gets a decent amount of ice time. That line has the potential to be pretty good.

Have never been a fan of a Comeau-Duchene-Iginla line. I doubt they last long together unless Roy really wants to force it.

Good to hear Gormley is practicing on the PP. Won't get my hopes up until I actually see Holden on the bench though on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad