Pre-Game Talk: Week in the Wild West (@SJ, @LA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Also, how solid do people think our top 4 is?

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Barrie

EJ - good #1
Barrie - elite #2
Beauch - very good #3
Holden - passable #4

Yes, Bigras will jump past Holden in a year or even less, but I'm talking right now. How good is this top 4 in comparison to our rivals? How comfortable are we, as fans, in this top 4? Patrick seems very happy with it.

Just my opinion but

EJ - passable #1
Barrie - very good #2
Beauch - very good #2
Holden - passable #4

I'm comfortable challenging for the playoffs with that top 4. I'd even be fine going into next season with top 4 as well. The only question mark is whether Holden can keep up his decent play. It would be nice to have one of Bigras or Zadorov on the bottom pairing to get some experience and acquire a fringe top 4 defenseman to pair with one of them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can't see Roy changing his top-4 (nor should he) and he plays them an insane amount of minutes. Bigras playing 8-10 minutes isn't doing him any good. Yes it's better than the tire-fire's we'd typically ice but Roy has repeatedly mentioned long-term development. If Bigras continues to see 8-10 minutes I think we'll see him sent down very soon.

Then my question is why keep him at all at this point if they want him to play more than 10 minutes, they know what the plan and situation is. Then why did they do this whole giant song and dance too just to arrive back at the same point, waive Gormley and replace him with AHL fodder would be the result of all these moves. I'm not saying there's no way Bigras could go back, it's certainly possible but it just seems a whole lot of nothing to arrive at the same point. If they weren't ok with him getting only those minutes then don't waste weeks of him in that role.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I can't see Roy changing his top-4 (nor should he) and he plays them an insane amount of minutes. Bigras playing 8-10 minutes isn't doing him any good. Yes it's better than the tire-fire's we'd typically ice but Roy has repeatedly mentioned long-term development. If Bigras continues to see 8-10 minutes I think we'll see him sent down very soon.

I'm very comfortable with it, but that is always going to depend on how Holden plays. This season, he's exceeded expectations beyond belief. So we'll see how he continues to play after the all-star break.

Also, I'd call Beauchemin a very good #2 given how he's played this season. That isn't what I want him to be long-term (though I wouldn't mind if his play never drops off), but he's been a legitimate top-pairing defensemen this season.

When is the last time we as fans could say we have arguably 3 top-pairing defensemen on this team? 2001? Even if they aren't top-pairing players in terms of their abilities, they all have shown to have the capability to play top-pairing minutes this season and thrive. I love it. I'm very confident in the top-4.

The 3rd pairing on the other hand...

Chicago played last playoffs basically with top-4. ThiRd pairing doesn't mate er that much.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Why are people freaking out over one game? Redmond is averaging 12min, same with Bigras.

I'm sure they will get more than 7min against SJ.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Then my question is why keep him at all at this point if they want him to play more than 10 minutes, they know what the plan and situation is. Then why did they do this whole giant song and dance too just to arrive back at the same point, waive Gormley and replace him with AHL fodder would be the result of all these moves. I'm not saying there's no way Bigras could go back, it's certainly possible but it just seems a whole lot of nothing to arrive at the same point. If they weren't ok with him getting only those minutes then don't waste weeks of him in that role.

Why did they claim Bodnarchuk? Why did they continue to play Nate Guenin? There are things that Roy does that leaves us scratching our heads all the time. Now that EJ is back I really don't' expect to see Bigras play anything above 10 minutes, and Roy will (hopefully) realize that it is best for Bigras to play in the AHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Bodnarchuk claim was from the pro scouts, not Roy. IMO they liked him as an extra defender, and have for a while. Combine that with being done with Gormley and you have a claim.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think Bigras goes back to the AHL at all. He's showing that he's ready and growing every game. Patrick isn't going to give that up and go back to having a completely crap third pairing while the playoffs are a legitimate target.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think Bigras goes back to the AHL at all. He's showing that he's ready and growing every game. Patrick isn't going to give that up and go back to having a completely crap third pairing while the playoffs are a legitimate target.

Also, most defenders have to deal with playing limited minutes to start out in the NHL.

It's clear Bigras is ready both physically and mentally, and getting experience at an NHL pace is more important at this point.

Bigras with two and a half years of experience in the NHL when FB leaves is better than Bigras with two years of experience when FB leaves.

It's also nice to have a sure thing on defense going into next year with all of the cannon fodder bottom pairing guys gone after this year. Well gone or up for contracts at the very least.

Now I'd like to know what we have in Mikko after the All-star break. Less question marks going into next year the better.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not having a good feeling for this week, Kings and Sharks might not be playing well, but it's still a tough trip. Lately the Avs have been more of the under siege team in respects to the last handful of games. Maybe some of the bounces going Avs way might not this week, but I will say that they deserve the goals they score. Avs do not carry the play a lot, but they capitalize on the chances they are given, which is good to see. If we're able to pick up points in either game by forcing OT, I would consider it an accomplish. Our ROW is pretty remarkable and beat every team below us in the standings, just gotta keep getting points any way.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Lose to SJ, hopefully in OT. Beat LA.

I think we're in both games, for me games against a team like SJ are a coin toss. LA really depends on which LA team shows up, the Stanley Cup contender, or the team that missed the playoffs last year.

It also as we all know, depends on how dialed in Varly is right now. One positive, Varly has shown himself to be a very good second half goalie thus far. Hes had multiple seasons where he was the best or one of the top three goalies in the second half.

If hes got his **** figured out, we'll be fine IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
LOL they have New Jersey at 6, us at 7, and Dallas at 15 :laugh:

Hey, I love the acknowledgement but that's a little far fetched

Both us and NJ are on 4 game streaks, Dallas has been on a 2-6-2 slide in their last 10 games. Not that hard to figure out IMO

It's weekly power rankings, not the standings

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Both us and NJ are on 4 game streaks, Dallas has been on a 2-6-2 slide in their last 10 games. Not that hard to figure out IMO

It's weekly power rankings, not the standings

Ahhhhhh I thought it was overall rankings as in where they thought teams were throughout the entirety of the season. Weekly makes sense.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs are too high, but I wouldn't say the Stars are too far off. They are just not a very complete hockey team and their flaws are being exposed now. I'd peg them in the 11-12 range.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The Avs are too high, but I wouldn't say the Stars are too far off. They are just not a very complete hockey team and their flaws are being exposed now. I'd peg them in the 11-12 range.

Yeah that is the reason I'm counting it as respect, usually we have to dominate for a while to even get past the middle of the pack in most media power rankings.

The NHL's had us at #15 for example, barely making their 16 team power rankings

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Hockeyviz has a pretty cool new "What-Ifs" feature up that shows you every night how the outcomes of all the games in the league affects your chances of making the playoffs.

http://hockeyviz.com/predictive.html

Not exactly sure the formulation for how they come up with their playoff % chances, but makes an easy way to track who you want to win/lose and how each night.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Today's news

I guess we don't want Varly in another B2B. I would have supported him playing both games, but I understand the rationale behind Pickard's start.

I prefer NewBalls over Redmond, but as long as Woody is there and cleaning up for them, I'm okay with the move.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I guess we don't want Varly in another B2B. I would have supported him playing both games, but I understand the rationale behind Pickard's start.

I prefer NewBalls over Redmond, but as long as Woody is there and cleaning up for them, I'm okay with the move.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad