Pre-Game Talk: Week for Redemption (@WPG, BUF, STL, @DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Duchene was offended because he felt no one should make more then him, and the organization didn't want to hurt his feelings, creating the whole mess.

Yeah, it's Duchene who had his feelings hurt over money...

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Yeah, it's Duchene who had his feelings hurt over money...

He didn't because management made sure no one would make more than him. If Duchene got a bridge deal, then ROR had to get one also, otherwise the face of the franchise would feel diminished.

Since ROR didn't agree with that Duchene felt offended, lol.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Duchene was interviewed after ROR signed the offersheet and you could see he was a little pissed. He was bothered that O'Reilly held out. I doubt very much that the two ever had words about the whole fiasco but I'm sure there was tension in the dressing room when ROR came back from Russia.

I predict we see on instagram or twitter tonight that Duchene and ROR are out to dinner together.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Seriously. This O'Reilly-Duchene drama rumor is so boring and aggravating. I mean who cares what those two guys might think or might have thought about each other. Mike Chambers and who else? Lay it to rest.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Duchene was interviewed after ROR signed the offersheet and you could see he was a little pissed. He was bothered that O'Reilly held out. I doubt very much that the two ever had words about the whole fiasco but I'm sure there was tension in the dressing room when ROR came back from Russia.

I predict we see on instagram or twitter tonight that Duchene and ROR are out to dinner together.

Who pays?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I really don't think with Duchene that it was about money, it was about putting yourself in front of the team. ROR did exactly that on more than a couple occasions.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
It sucks looking at the standings and knowing that 8 points went to the two worst teams.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I really don't think with Duchene that it was about money, it was about putting yourself in front of the team. ROR did exactly that on more than a couple occasions.

Exactly. I doubt it was the money he was making. In fact Duchene has said repeatedly that he doesn't care what anyone makes, and he doesn't strike me as a guy who just says something to be PC.

I think it was more that he held out on the team and then signed an OS. Acting as if he didn't really value playing on the team.

That said, Chambers and Dater are really tag teaming this stir up job from both ends. There's clearly not much there any more, and have a pretty cordial relationship.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think when it gets to the hold out stage, when you aren't fighting with your brothers, Then just to waltz in halfway through the season when everyone was struggling, I can't imagine many were thrilled with him at that point. I'm sure they all understand everyone goes through their contract stuff but when the puck drops you better be there.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
We are arguing about this because one of the guys finally broke the silence a little about any possible locker room tension. There is no point. ROR is gone, we got a decent return for him, and he is doing very well earning his piles of money elsewhere.

We are not gong to change each others minds on this. Some refuse to believe that Duchene has any but the highest motives. Some refuse to believe ROR cares about anything but money. Some refuse to consider that management was the one forcing the issue. And some will not entertain the idea that ROR is anywhere close to being nothing but a money grubbing, back stabbing whiner that wants a "C" and bags of money thrown at his feet despite never having earned either.

Shall we let it drop?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Easier to be a "team-first guy" when you have made quite a few bucks on your ELC, and to decide that someone else should just take whatever low ball offer the team have made.

I'm sure in his mind he couldn't believe ROR wouldn't take the same deal he had just taken.

ROR should just leave 4 million dollars on the table for the benefit of the team? Yeah right! :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Easier to be a "team-first guy" when you have made quite a few bucks on your ELC, and to decide that someone else should just take whatever low ball offer the team have made.

I'm sure in his mind he couldn't believe ROR wouldn't take the same deal he had just taken.

ROR should just leave 4 million dollars on the table for the benefit of the team? Yeah right! :laugh:

ROR was offered a bridge deal that was up to that point one of the highest in league history. He wasn't being lowballed. He held out and got his contract from Calgary in the end.

I don't care if players push for the most money that they can get... I have just never agreed with ROR's tactics.

What Barrie did on his bridge deal was perfectly fine IMO. Push up until the very end, but sign the contract before camp and start the season on time.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You think Mikko will be given a few games in the A or just called up when healthy? I would rather have Martinesen sit than Wagner, but Andreas seems to keep the other team honest to some extent.

Also from the Twitters:

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
ROR was offered a bridge deal that was up to that point one of the highest in league history. He wasn't being lowballed. He held out and got his contract from Calgary in the end.

I don't care if players push for the most money that they can get... I have just never agreed with ROR's tactics.

What Barrie did on his bridge deal was perfectly fine IMO. Push up until the very end, but sign the contract before camp and start the season on time.

He got 65% more from the Flames!!! And you don't think the Avs was lowballing him?

At the time he wanted a long term deal, and the team offered him less AAV then they had offered on the bridge deal.

Easier to say "just sign the contract and start the season on time" when is not your money!

But i get FANS thinking the way you think, but for Duchene to be offended? And you want me to believe that it had nothing to do with money for Duchene? Ok.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
At this point Mikko will need to play some and it's still contingent one some forward injuries, there's no way he can come up without one guy out and realistically he probably needs two.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You think Mikko will be given a few games in the A or just called up when healthy? I would rather have Martinesen sit than Wagner, but Andreas seems to keep the other team honest to some extent.

Also from the Twitters:

I love this. Post this on the main board where everyone seems to think Soderbergs been a flop for the avs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He got 65% more from the Flames!!! And you don't think the Avs was lowballing him?

At the time he wanted a long term deal, and the team offered him less AAV then they had offered on the bridge deal.

Easier to say "just sign the contract and start the season on time" when is not your money!

But i get FANS thinking the way you think, but for Duchene to be offended? And you want me to believe that it had nothing to do with money for Duchene? Ok.

Up until that point, Duchene had the highest bridge deal in post lockout history. Offering the same or similar to ROR, was not lowballing. It was paying the market price. Even today, RyJo's deal is the largest bridge and isn't that much more. Calgary overpaid in an attempt to not have the Avs match. That is how offersheets work. You sign a contract that intentionally tries to hamstring the other team.

It should be clear to you that the Avs didn't want to give ROR a long-term deal coming out of the ELC. The offer was there since ROR was demanding a long-term deal, so the Avs gave him an offer they they knew he wouldn't accept.

Very few players actually hold out... it is never looked upon fondly by fellow players. Duchene was probably concerned and more pissed about the team needing him during the lockout season. Having ROR for the full schedule might have changed how that team fared.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Up until that point, Duchene had the highest bridge deal in post lockout history. Offering the same or similar to ROR, was not lowballing. It was paying the market price. Even today, RyJo's deal is the largest bridge and isn't that much more. Calgary overpaid in an attempt to not have the Avs match. That is how offersheets work. You sign a contract that intentionally tries to hamstring the other team.

It should be clear to you that the Avs didn't want to give ROR a long-term deal coming out of the ELC. The offer was there since ROR was demanding a long-term deal, so the Avs gave him an offer they they knew he wouldn't accept.

Very few players actually hold out... it is never looked upon fondly by fellow players. Duchene was probably concerned and more pissed about the team needing him during the lockout season. Having ROR for the full schedule might have changed how that team fared.

Exactly, and that is low balling.

You can believe that Duchene is this choir boy that was only concerned about the team, but i don't. It seems pretty obvious to me that he was pissed because ROR wouldn't sign the same contract that HE, the face of the franchise, had signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad