Pre-Game Talk: Week for Redemption (@WPG, BUF, STL, @DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Until EJ and/or Stuart get back I get that, I'm talking after

Both would need to come back. Just one comes back, then Guenin or one of the kids probably goes down. Even if both come back we can still keep him and one of the kids up. I'm thinking he is our new 7th or 8th D at least for the remainder of the year. Seems they at least like him more than Guenin and if nothing else feel Gormley needs to develop his game further.

Beauch - EJ
Holden - Barrie
Kid - Stuart
Bchuk, Redmond

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wonder if they're playing Iginla with Wagner/Grigorenko and Martinsen purely because they realized he can't keep up in ES or because they want him to think about waiving his NTC as well.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I wonder if they're playing Iginla with Wagner/Grigorenko and Martinsen purely because they realized he can't keep up in ES or because they want him to think about waiving his NTC as well.

One can only hope its the latter... a lost to WIN tomorrow essential puts the Avs 2nd last in the West ... 4-6 points up on the McDavid-less Oilers... get a head start on the selling and see if there's any interest in Iginla/Tanguay.... call up Rantenen, and let the kids play so they get accustomed to playing on the big stage before next year starts.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
One can only hope its the latter... a lost to WIN tomorrow essential puts the Avs 2nd last in the West ... 4-6 points up on the McDavid-less Oilers... get a head start on the selling and see if there's any interest in Iginla/Tanguay.... call up Rantenen, and let the kids play so they get accustomed to playing on the big stage before next year starts.

The season isn't over if we lose tomorrow, you know that right

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I'm not rooting for them to lose. However I realize winning the Cup, or even making it far in the playoffs, are slim. They are still a couple pieces away. Long term wise, I think it would be better for the team to move the old players out for whatever assets they can get and stock up on picks. I mean, even the Avs farm team hasn't had much success in recent years due to lack of depth. The Avs style of hockey is run and gun, waiting for the opposition to make mistakes, and breaking out with numbers the other way. The veterans they've brought in are too slow to play such a system.

Furthermore, I don't think Roy's system is one that can win a Cup, but that's another story...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not rooting for them to lose. However I realize winning the Cup, or even making it far in the playoffs, are slim. They are still a couple pieces away. Long term wise, I think it would be better for the team to move the old players out for whatever assets they can get and stock up on picks. I mean, even the Avs farm team hasn't had much success in recent years due to lack of depth. The Avs style of hockey is run and gun, waiting for the opposition to make mistakes, and breaking out with numbers the other way. The veterans they've brought in are too slow to play such a system.

Furthermore, I don't think Roy's system is one that can win a Cup, but that's another story...

How are the chances of making the playoffs slim when we're a point behind a Nashville team, who are playing much worse than we are, for the final PO spot?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I dont think we are going to win anything either but the only way to ever get there is through experience and winning along the way. Roy is never going to give up and waive the white flag on the season, this season we are closer than we ever were last year, we will probably be in on it until the very end again. They aren't going to sell, that's not their style. Nobody wants our old crap, nobody with eyes and a brain wants Tanguay, nobody was interested in Briere last year. Iggy doesn't want to move. They might flip some prospects and AHL players like they did last year. If we are lucky maybe they can get something for Redmond.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
How are the chances of making the playoffs slim when we're a point behind a Nashville team, who are playing much worse than we are, for the final PO spot?

He said making it far in the playoffs i.e a long playoff run.

I do agree that chances are not slim at all. This is going to be a fun race until the end of the season. This is good for our young players, too, because the pressure games are starting now and it'll only get more pressure-packed. Seeing how they respond will be nice to watch.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He said making it far in the playoffs i.e a long playoff run.

I do agree that chances are not slim at all. This is going to be a fun race until the end of the season. This is good for our young players, too, because the pressure games are starting now and it'll only get more pressure-packed. Seeing how they respond will be nice to watch.

My bad. Misread that. We may not go far, but letting this core experience the playoffs again while showing that we're a team that's getting closer will be huge for us.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
Still a lot of season left to play and we're right on the brink of PO berth. We need to get in this year. As TV said, the kids need more playoff experience and to also fight their way out of the first round.

That being said, a road win against Winnipeg tonight would be a much needed start to the week.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That was a well written article by Dater. As has been pointed out many times, when he puts an honest effort in and doesn't have his own agenda, he can be quite good at what he does. It's too rare, though.

So I guess the rumours about friction between Duchene and O'Reilly were true. Can't wait for Chambers to jump all over this even more.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's written some nice pieces and it's not really AD's fault but it's just nothing new and kind of not needed to keep going there when there probably isn't much else to it. I can't imagine there were many thrilled with the hold out at the very least. I really don't want to open the dead horse for some more beating but it's funny that ROR's viewpoint is the Avs didn't want to commit to him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's written some nice pieces and it's not really AD's fault but it's just nothing new and kind of not needed to keep going there when there probably isn't much else to it. I can't imagine there were many thrilled with the hold out at the very least. I really don't want to open the dead horse for some more beating but it's funny that ROR's viewpoint is the Avs didn't want to commit to him.

That's what intrigued me, too. Although maybe he didn't word that properly, either, because Sakic/Roy made it very clear, at least publicly, that they wanted him here long-term.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy has to at least see what the defense looks like with EJ and the kids all in there. At least see in one game. I fully expect EJ back on Wednesday, given how he was practicing before the team left on the road trip, but we'll see.

Also, they have to give Grigs a game against his old team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Roy has to at least see what the defense looks like with EJ and the kids all in there. At least see in one game. I fully expect EJ back on Wednesday, given how he was practicing before the team left on the road trip, but we'll see.

Also, they have to give Grigs a game against his old team.

Holden-Barrie
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-EJ

Roll out all three pairs for 20 minutes, and if Roy doesn't want Bigras playing that much then just rotate EJ up with the others. I'd be comfortable having any of those pairings out at any point during a game.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Holden-Barrie
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-EJ

Roll out all three pairs for 20 minutes, and if Roy doesn't want Bigras playing that much then just rotate EJ up with the others. I'd be comfortable having any of those pairings out at any point during a game.
On paper it sounds great but until I see it, I won't believe it. Too bad, because Beauch is about as good a partner you could find for Zadorov right now.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
So many feelings! Good article. Still twists my stomach how everything went down with factor with the AVS. Loved oreilly but holding out and playing in the k was totally bush league imo. Puts a smile on my face that duchene was offended by that

You are happy that Duchene was so petty as to be bothered by ROR getting paid more?

The reason for the "holdout" was that ROR was asked to take LESS than Duchene, after leading the team in scoring. He refused, assumed he would be out for the season when he did not get a follow-up offer, went to play to continue development, then signed an offer sheet he would have been stupid to turn down.

As for him feeling like the team never wanted to commit to him. We have no evidence that the Avs ever offered him a longer contract. We assume so, but we don't know. Maybe they didn't. Maybe if they had offered him the same 6x6 contract Duchene got when both of them were due for contracts, he would have signed it and none of this would ever have been an issue. He sure as heck would have been worth it ... currently more points in fewer games than Duchene this season, and better D, and better faceoffs, despite not playing with a pair of Calder winners.

Enough of beating the dead horse, I am done.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Great read. I was actually surprised to see comments saying that Dater wrote the article, I even flipped back to it to double check :laugh:.

I don't think there was a bad guy in the whole debacle, it was just two sides who were stubborn to the point that it created friction. Nothing in the article is surprising, but it was nice that the whole situation was exposed at least from ROR's POV.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
So many feelings! Good article. Still twists my stomach how everything went down with factor with the AVS. Loved oreilly but holding out and playing in the k was totally bush league imo. Puts a smile on my face that duchene was offended by that

Duchene was offended because he felt no one should make more then him, and the organization didn't want to hurt his feelings, creating the whole mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad