Pre-Game Talk: Week for Redemption (@WPG, BUF, STL, @DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
For a young guy like Rychel I can see moving a pick but definitely not for a rental to hope to sign or a marginal upgrade. The reason why things are truly looking up is because they've built a foundation. We need to get there first before even determining when and where our window is. Lots of teams think they've turned the corner when they haven't. We need that young depth for the cap and for injuries in the future so we are taking guys off waivers to fill holes. A pick might not turn out but a trade might give you Brad Stuart. I'm still saying commit to the long term plan, don't kick the can down the road. This team needs to find a way to make more picks, not fewer.

I don't think we've solved enough yet, 10 days ago we were pretty concerned we wouldn't see any of the kids for the rest of the year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
For a young guy like Rychel I can see moving a pick but definitely not for a rental to hope to sign or a marginal upgrade. The reason why things are truly looking up is because they've built a foundation. We need to get there first before even determining when and where our window is. Lots of teams think they've turned the corner when they haven't. We need that young depth for the cap and for injuries in the future so we are taking guys off waivers to fill holes. A pick might not turn out but a trade might give you Brad Stuart. I'm still saying commit to the long term plan, don't kick the can down the road. This team needs to find a way to make more picks, not fewer.

I don't think we've solved enough yet, 10 days ago we were pretty concerned we wouldn't see any of the kids for the rest of the year.

Which is why it still has to be a long term move for me. So that we don't have to keep selling off 1st round picks and young high end prospects like Pittsburgh has done.

Chicago did make some shrewd moves for the now early in their competitive window that solidified their roster, and then they kept their first round picks for the most part. That's what I'd like to do, possibly seize an opportunity now to help open the window so that we don't have to keep fiddling with the puzzle at the NHL level at the expense of our futures.

Edit : To answer your edit lol, we have some answers now that we didn't have then because of that move IMO. We do know that Roy is going to do all to make this team competitive each year while hes here. Even though we might not be a top team, I think even with the possibility of tripping on our faces, we should probably somewhat embrace the idea that being competitive each year is the main goal. Building for the future, IE 2-3-5 years down the road is secondary now IMO. At least when it comes to waiting for prospects to help us at the NHL level as a priority.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The future is still very much the primary goal. You are right they are going to demand a competitive team each year and they were doing just that without any fruits from the ROR trade and a whole lot of iffy forwards and up until last week a lot of scary defense especially without EJ. I know it's easy to get excited but we aren't anywhere yet, one bad week and we could fall under 8 teams (and the opposite is true too). I know you are saying draft a kid he needs 2 more years in junior then probably an AHL year so he's at best 3 years out. But a big reason why we were in this mess is that's how they viewed development for far too long and stocked the pipeline with nothing. You have to build it to enjoy the fruits. Bigras was traded a dozen times over the last few weeks alone and oh look the guy can play in the NHL. Patience does pay off. It sucks but it does. Now if something specific comes up then let's look at it but in general let's not get ahead of ourselves, there is still A LOT of work to be done to get this org where it needs to be.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The future is still very much the primary goal. You are right they are going to demand a competitive team each year and they were doing just that without any fruits from the ROR trade and a whole lot of iffy forwards and up until last week a lot of scary defense especially without EJ. I know it's easy to get excited but we aren't anywhere yet, one bad week and we could fall under 8 teams (and the opposite is true too). I know you are saying draft a kid he needs 2 more years in junior then probably an AHL year so he's at best 3 years out. But a big reason why we were in this mess is that's how they viewed development for far too long and stocked the pipeline with nothing. You have to build it to enjoy the fruits. Bigras was traded a dozen times over the last few weeks alone and oh look the guy can play in the NHL. Patience does pay off. It sucks but it does. Now if something specific comes up then let's look at it but in general let's not get ahead of ourselves, there is still A LOT of work to be done to get this org where it needs to be.

Yeah of course this does depend a bit on the rest of this season, but I'm right about there as far as being ready to pay for a bit of a boost to ensure we get to the top of the mountain this season. I think it's that important IMO.

I want it to be a long term move, but I want it to also help us right now in these last 30 or so games of this season.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
One nice thing about being at 50 contracts is that they cannot trade a pick for a player. Pick and a scrub for a player, sure...but that gets us a better player (in theory). Ideally, I would like to see us do a 2for1, say Gormley and Hishon or Rendulic for one of the guys mentioned (not that that specifically would work...just something along those lines).

And do we know for sure if Sami has a contract. Spotrac is only listing 49.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I agree with a lot of that. It's possible they had Bodnarchuk on their list and were ready when he was waived but the day of EJ's injury is a bit coincidental. Maybe that happened first and then they said hey there's this guy we like too. But the 50 contracts is not ideal and I still refuse to believe their only idea was to just waive guys and hope one of them gets taken. It is possible they've been looking at a minor trade, they still might. But it's true the kids doing well might have altered that.

I don't think they were just waiving people hoping one got picked up. I don't think they were ready to just dump Gormley like that. All year Roy has been talking about his potential. Seems they like him as a prospect still but didn't trust him on the ice yet. Once we called up the kids that gave Gormley the opportunity to go down and play heavy minutes. I'm thinking they have been weary of sending him down due to his name, but they put his name out there and realized nobody was going to take him. Who knows though, I could see them thinking that he would have been picked up and that was the initial plan. Though, I'm guessing they were hoping to keep Gormley and have him work on whatever aspect is keeping him out of their good graces.

No way did they think Guenin would get picked up. Maybe they tried just hoping for a miracle, but I doubt that was the actual plan.

I don't think they are as worried about being at 50 as much as we fans are. I would imagine they still have a trade lined up. my gut tells me they are just sitting on Siemens and can trade him at any time. Maybe Redmond goes when EJ gets back if they decide to stay with both kids. If we really are in the mix for Drouin/Rychel (if the kids prove to be ready maybe we switch our focus to forward) we will probably be sending multiple pieces back. Maybe we trade Berra when he gets healthy (I see him being traded at some point before next season due to Sakic/Roy's comment about Pickard being here next year).

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I think Bigs looked very good last night too, and who would have thought we would take all 4 of those.. I am starting to believe we can catch Blues..
Hope they lose today

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think Bigs looked very good last night too, and who would have thought we would take all 4 of those.. I am starting to believe we can catch Blues..
Hope they lose today
He had the great shift in the offensive zone but he got beat a few times defensively. Wish he got a few more shifts.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah 8 of 8 points this week is unexpected, but this next week 5 games is even worse lol.

@SJ @LA CHI DAL WPG

Luckily after the SJ/LA B2B it's more spread out

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
On paper it is yikes but we play better against better teams

Forget what they look like on paper. I was at the Blues game and it was "yikes!" Glad the Avs won but all of these clubs are tough. Loved passing the Wild. Now let's put some separation between us and them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad