Post-Game Talk: WEEK 5 - Pats worst loss at home since 1969 - The Sons of Billy Sullivan are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I’m not sure who else will be available, but I don’t know how I feel about handing the reins over to Mayo. I think I might actually prefer to cut ties completely with anybody associated to the current operation and go completely outside the organization. Bring in a football czar to pick his on field coach and draft his quarterback.
One thing to keep in mind here is Mayo has been getting HC interest outside of New England. If you're him would you want to have your first HC gig to be this dumpster fire? He might be able to find a better situation. If he was on board with being interim HC I would fire Belichick today and give Mayo a 12 game trial.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think what we're seeing now is years of bad drafting catching up with them.

I'm not as anti-Bill as everyone else, but it's apparent that since the NFL changed the preseason rules getting rid of two-a-days and limiting the off-season mandatory camps that the discipline they used to be known for has completely disappeared. They never took penalties and they never turned the ball over, now it's seemingly all they do. He hasn't adapted to the new rules. I think the brain drain as mentioned earlier is a huge factor as well. Not just the coaches of each individual unit, but his Rasputin Ernie Adams is gone, and that's the big mystery piece to me.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
One thing to keep in mind here is Mayo has been getting HC interest outside of New England. If you're him would you want to have your first HC gig to be this dumpster fire? He might be able to find a better situation. If he was on board with being interim HC I would fire Belichick today and give Mayo a 12 game trial.

Id' be happy with Mayo but not fair to evaluate him with current QB situation. I'm holding off all evaluations until a change at QB is made

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

The wording of the title of this article sucks.

Bill Belichick Fired? Early List of New England Patriots' Coach Candidates​

After further humiliation at the hands of the New Orleans Saints, it's fully fair for the New England Patriots to start speculating about Bill Belichick's successor.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
it would rehash that whole brady vs bill debate for sure
What debate? Pretty sure this has been shown to be no debate at this point. Bill is a fraud and always has been. He got lucky to have Brady gifted to him and rather than appreciate it, he shit all over it. If anything this should show everyone how criminally inept Bill was given he never gave Brady any help at WR. If anything, Bill limited the super bowls they won by not giving Brady someone like moss for more than one season.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

The wording of the title of this article sucks.​

Bill Belichick Fired? Early List of New England Patriots' Coach Candidates​

After further humiliation at the hands of the New Orleans Saints, it's fully fair for the New England Patriots to start speculating about Bill Belichick's successor.

I can't believe this list has Rich Focaccia on it

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Say they do axe Bill, is it worth picking up the option on Mac and seeing what it looks like with a different coach?

Or, different question:

What’s the more likely scenario to bear fruit next season?

Bring back Belichick without Mac? (Say you bring in Kirk Cousins)

Or

Bring back Mac with a new boss?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
What debate? Pretty sure this has been shown to be no debate at this point. Bill is a fraud and always has been. He got lucky to have Brady gifted to him and rather than appreciate it, he shit all over it. If anything this should show everyone how criminally inept Bill was given he never gave Brady any help at WR. If anything, Bill limited the super bowls they won by not giving Brady someone like moss for more than one season.
Very true, and I think many fans adopted that mentality too being led to football abyss by clowns like Felger and we can win with a QB like Andy Dalton vision. The replace brady with Jimmy G movement was also big for a while, in the end all proven to be nonsense and could have just stuck with the GOAT and gave him talent

Reactions: LSCII

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Say they do axe Bill, is it worth picking up the option on Mac and seeing what it looks like with a different coach?

Or, different question:

Or

I don't think Kraft wants to pick up after Macs option after spending all that money on offence and bringing Obrien back. Back to the drawing board with a FA QB or high pick rookie QB

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Or, different question:

Or

I want it all blown up. Fresh start here. Let the players like Mac get a fresh start somewhere new. Not interested in a retread like Cousins especially since he’s a proven loser. I want youth and athletic ability at the qb spot and the head coach spot. I also want an actual general mananger to run things instead of this singular voice bullshit we’ve had with Bill. Checks and balances are a good thing.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015

That's just excessive, but typical trash talk fare.

I'm not sure even peak Brady would look good behind the current Pats O-line with the receiving corps they have. 40+ year old Brady saw the writing on the wall and got the heck outta Dodge before the walls crumbled entirely.

That doesn't mean that I think Mac is a great QB, but any young QB who's had three different OCs in three years, an offensive line that couldn't stop a 90-year old grandma, and a receiving corps that treats every ball like a live hand grenade is going to look bad.

You put Mac on the Niners and they're still a super-bowl contender, but the Niners wouldn't want Mac cause they have much better options already in house.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's just excessive, but typical trash talk fare.

I'm not sure even peak Brady would look good behind the current Pats O-line with the receiving corps they have. 40+ year old Brady saw the writing on the wall and got the heck outta Dodge before the walls crumbled entirely.

That doesn't mean that I think Mac is a great QB, but any young QB who's had three different OCs in three years, an offensive line that couldn't stop a 90-year old grandma, and a receiving corps that treats every ball like a live hand grenade is going to look bad.

You put Mac on the Niners and they're still a super-bowl contender, but the Niners wouldn't want Mac cause they have much better options already in house.
I disagree wtih the SF point, the thing that will always be Macs problem is velocity and being accurate past 10 yards fitting balls into tight windows. The arm just isn't there

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The problem with the organization is that they could've just bottomed out 4 years ago with the Cam Newton year, traded off pieces, collected higher draft picks, etc., but they overperformed in 2020, spent a ton of money in the 2020-2021 offseason on mediocre free agents to patch the hole in the boat and got them mediocre results in both years. If they committed to a full reboot back then we'd probably be back in business right now. But now they're in a really bad position where they don't have anything they can really sell off and have to start a full rebuild from square one.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

Or, different question:

Or

They can do what they want with Bill, but bringing back Mac would be a mistake. I think he has serious attitude problems and has quit on the team-either consciously or unconsciously. Then you throw in that he doesn't have the arm strength to throw outside the numbers, and that means you cannot bring him back.

Reactions: capecodder

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
The problem with the organization is that they could've just bottomed out 4 years ago with the Cam Newton year, traded off pieces, collected higher draft picks, etc., but they overperformed in 2020, spent a ton of money in the 2020-2021 offseason on mediocre free agents to patch the hole in the boat and got them mediocre results in both years. If they committed to a full reboot back then we'd probably be back in business right now. But now they're in a really bad position where they don't have anything they can really sell off and have to start a full rebuild from square one.

I've said it, and it's been said by others, but the worst thing you can be in sports today is mediocre. In modern American sports, leagues are trying more and more to prevent the rich from using their financial might to buy championships. Across the board free agents just aren't as good as they used to be, and that's because even the "poor" teams can re-sign their top players.

Where does that leave us? Draft and develop as the best way to win. The NFL more so than any other league is not set up well to develop players, which means that drafting talent, specifically talent that fits your playstyle to maximize their abilities, is imperative. How do you give yourself the best odds of getting that talent? Drafting as high as possible, and you can only do that if you're bad.

It sucks watching bad football and rooting for the team to lose, but if they do things right, it's short-term pain for long-term gain.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Brady said he wanted to play until age 45.

Belichick famously said he didn’t want to be Marv Levy coaching into his 70s.

Levy was 72. Bill is 71.

He could have walked away after the Super Bowl win in 2018.

Could have walked when Brady did.

Could have walked away at any time these past few seasons.

He didn’t, and instead hung on.

Now the wheels are off the thing and now it’ll need to get ugly in order for it to get fixed.

We’re in uncharted waters, here.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Honest question, as I'm not a Pats fan: What's driving the whole Jerod Mayo discussion about him being potentially the next Head Coach of this team?

Seems to me, he's got a lot of Belichick Stink on him, and if you are truly going to clean house in the coaching staff, what's the rationale behind keeping him? He's an ILB Coach....what makes people think he should be spared from the coming purge, and is a viable head coaching candidate?

I mean if you are truly going to blow this thing up, why not just go scorched earth with this entire staff?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Or, different question:

Or

I want to see how Mac responds the entire year. However, it's embarrassing as a fan that for 3 years we've had 3 OC's, 1 of which wasn't qualified, no fixing the offensive line, to the point that Bill didn't even DRAFT one. Picking a Cole Strange in a draft position where you needed a better player. Mismanaged the offense to where there is nobody that is a threat. There is not one single player on OFFENSE that scares a defense. Even Rhamondre has taken a HUGE step back this year that I'm concerned about his health. No replacement for him either.

So yeah, while Mac hasn't been good. The entire f***ing team is atrocious and lacks talent. That's on Bill. He doesn't take any responsibility. And that's my issue. You drafted Mac at 15 and gave him what? His first year the kid was great. Positive vibes all around. Then the last 2 years we got an offensive line that literally NO current QB could do anything with. Not Mahomes. Not Tua. Not Allen. They would get annihilated like Mac.

If Bill goes or stays, I still pick up Mac's option. I draft a QB in the draft. And see what happens. But in order to do ANYTHING which Mac or another QB, you HAVE TO ADDRESS the clear issues and lack of talent on every side. Fix the o-line. Get a #1 WR. Get an elite guy. A true #1. Draft him.. do something. Get a guy a defense has to worry about. Draft a RB. Surround Mac or another QB with talent.

If not? You're just gonna ruin the player. It's funny how Goff is having a resurgence because of talent or even a capable O-line.

If you have no talent, your QB will suffer. And this is on BILL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad