Patriots/NFL Week 2: At Miami, Pats trade Demaryius Thomas to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Crazy how many players are holding out.

Compared to the other major sports, NFL players are definitely treated more like disposable parts than their contemporaries.

Patriots have been pretty fortunate over the course of their run. Has there been anyone who has held out aside from Mankins, Samuel, and Seymour?

Part of it is unloading these guys before they become a problem. Another key seems to be avoiding drafting skill guys early in the draft.

Why pay the likes of Leveon Bell, Melvin Gordon, or Zeke Elliot when you’ve already gotten the bulk of their value and production? By the time they hit their second contract, these guys are basically cooked.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
With most believing D Thomas will re-sign with Pats, I really can't think of any surprise cuts. Even with Ryan Allen you could kinda see that coming.

On defense I think the biggest question mark will be pass rush. Trey Flowers didn't have huge sack totals but he was very consistent and got a lot of pressure.

Offense: Does the loss of Andrews disrupt what was a very good oline? Forget pass catching, can they get good run blocking from TE spot? I think that is more important without Gronk because you're not gonna get anything close to him as a receiving option. Can the WR group gel into a strength? Or at least not a liability?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think the defense will be one of the best we have seen during this dynasty

I’m really glad Jamie Collins is back and looking great. Was always one of my favorites. There’s a ton of depth everywhere. And the secondary is flawless

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
One random thought...the Raiders are carrying 4 QBs. Good lord that is stupid.

Remember the Patriots' dynasty only exists because they decided to keep 4 QBs in 2000. Brady started the year as the 4th stringer, and had moved up to back-up by the end of the year.

Obviously, this is an apples-to-oranges situation, but QB is such an important position that it's worth holding on to them if there's even a remote chance they could become something.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Remember the Patriots' dynasty only exists because they decided to keep 4 QBs in 2000. Brady started the year as the 4th stringer, and had moved up to back-up by the end of the year.

Obviously, this is an apples-to-oranges situation, but QB is such an important position that it's worth holding on to them if there's even a remote chance they could become something.
Yes but the difference is that Brady was a first year guy.

They have Mike Glennon, Nathan Peterman, and DeShone Kizer backing up Carr.

You know what Glennon and Peterman are at this point, garbage. Kizer is still intriguing, but there is no reason the Raiders should be keeping 3 QBs on that roster, let alone 4.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The NFL'S fascination with Brian Hoyer bores me to tears

Think hes got a job holding the clipboard for 2 weeks until Swag Kelly returns.

Jacoby isn't dynamic or anything and teams can shut him down very good backup but that is it Kelly is better at both throwing and running. Broncos QB situation would have been solved for the next decade if he didn't break into someones house dressed as Woody from Toy Story after getting in a fight and kicked out of the team Halloween party right as he was being named the starter. Hes a better version Jacoby on the field.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yes but the difference is that Brady was a first year guy.

They have Mike Glennon, Nathan Peterman, and DeShone Kizer backing up Carr.

You know what Glennon and Peterman are at this point, garbage. Kizer is still intriguing, but there is no reason the Raiders should be keeping 3 QBs on that roster, let alone 4.

Gruden has lost it. I thought KC with a regression surely coming would be out of it but that division is throwing in the towel before the year starts watch the 7-9 Chefs will win it. Chargers are being morons with Gordon and they were due to regress the aren't putting together back to back winning seasons before last year Rivers averaged like 5 wins a year this decade, Denver is making bad personel decisions one after the other Flacco doesn't have anything left, and Grudens lost his marbles.

Reactions: smithformeragent

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Crazy how many players are holding out.

Compared to the other major sports, NFL players are definitely treated more like disposable parts than their contemporaries.

Patriots have been pretty fortunate over the course of their run. Has there been anyone who has held out aside from Mankins, Samuel, and Seymour?

Part of it is unloading these guys before they become a problem. Another key seems to be avoiding drafting skill guys early in the draft.

Why pay the likes of Leveon Bell, Melvin Gordon, or Zeke Elliot when you’ve already gotten the bulk of their value and production? By the time they hit their second contract, these guys are basically cooked.

stayed away from RB's till my 4th pick in my fantasy draft grabbing Michel who I think could lead the league in rushing. 1st round RB value just keeps going down

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Well, seems like a lost year for Harry. Gonna be difficult for him to gain Brady's trust down the stretch when he comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad