Pre-Game Talk: Week 19: Will This Miserable Roadie Ever End? @Caps, @TBL

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I guess Olofsson will be scratched soon or Wagner fills in for Dermy while we wait for LOC.

Last edited:

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Still no LoC on those line rushes is very concerning. Does anyone know when his last shift was? Did it look like he got hurt?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
In CMac's defense when he took over he had to deal with:

1. Cap crunch due to winning a Cup. Guys get paid when you win it all.
During his first year as GM:
2. Losing Landy. Not sure if he was coming back during the season or playoffs or not at all.
3. Nuke was in and out of the lineup during the regular season. When playing he was not 100%. Then he lost him during the playoffs.
During his seacond year as GM:
4. Landy still out for the entire regular season.
5. He lost Lehky, Girard and Nuke for considerable length.
6. His 2C gamble failed. That one is on him although I get why it took that gamble. He just need to find a way to fix that.

I'll probably hear about "all teams have injuries" but it is important to note that all guys that he is missing/missed are his most important defensive forwards so it will certainly affect the team defensively. And even with that the team has had very good defensive numbers, 2nd overall in scoring goals, and were 3rd to 5th overall in the standings. I have said it in the past a few times this team cannot afford to lose both Landy and Nuke at the same time for long period of time. They can make it work for a few games but eventually it catches up with them. They are too important defensively, and offensively they miss them terribly to win battle in the corners, cycling, and in front of the net as screens and tipping pucks. They need at least of one of those guys.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Also it seems that Bednar breaks down the schedule in 10-game segments with specific goals for segments. It's a way to alleviate the monotony of a long season and to keep the guys engaged.
It's also a good way when he loses the room, he can find it again in the next 10-game segment.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Metallo

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
In CMac's defense when he took over he had to deal with:

1. Cap crunch due to winning a Cup. Guys get paid when you win it all.
During his first year as GM:
2. Losing Landy. Not sure if he was coming back during the season or playoffs or not at all.
3. Nuke was in and out of the lineup during the regular season. When playing he was not 100%. Then he lost him during the playoffs.
During his seacond year as GM:
4. Landy still out for the entire regular season.
5. He lost Lehky, Girard and Nuke for considerable length.
6. His 2C gamble failed. That one is on him although I get why it took that gamble. He just need to find a way to fix that.

I'll probably hear about "all teams have injuries" but it is important to note that all guys that he is missing/missed are his most important defensive forwards so it will certainly affect the team defensively. And even with that the team has had very good defensive numbers, 2nd overall in scoring goals, and were 3rd to 5th overall in the standings. I have said it in the past a few times this team cannot afford to lose both Landy and Nuke at the same time for long period of time. They can make it work for a few games but eventually it catches up with them. They are too important defensively, and offensively they miss them terribly to win battle in the corners, cycling, and in front of the net as screens and tipping pucks. They need at least of one of those guys.
I think the thing about #6 is that nobody (at least I'm not) blaming him for taking the gamble. It's the lack of a backup plan that could cost him his job.

That being said, the season's not over and the deadline hasn't passed... But the ball has been in CMac's corner since the second game of the season. You might quibble and say that it wasn't obvious that RyJo wasn't going to cut it until the 3rd game of the season, but still for the vast majority of the season it has been obvious the Avs needed an upgrade at 2C.

It's his response, or lack thereof, that will define the entire season. With us being in win-now mode, if his decisions cost us a chance at the cup this season, he should not be given the chance to do so again next. Forfeiting the playoffs for a second year in a row with this core should cost anyone their job.

Reactions: Alienblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad