Pre-Game Talk: Week 19: Will This Miserable Roadie Ever End? @Caps, @TBL

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Whoooooooooooo's ready to get our asses kicked tonight!?!

1707858116447.png

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado

Interesting that he liked Rielly's response. I guess this is where nice-guy-Coach Bednar, and former tough-guy-Player Bednar conflict a little.

He sure as heck wouldn't have liked that response if Rielly had headshotted one of our boys.

That comment somewhat disappoints me, I thought Bednar was more rational than that.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Interesting that he liked Rielly's response. I guess this is where nice-guy-Coach Bednar, and former tough-guy-Player Bednar conflict a little.

He sure as heck wouldn't have liked that response if Rielly had headshotted one of our boys.

That comment somewhat disappoints me, I thought Bednar was more rational than that.

Just proves how old man's league this is and I thought Bednar as one of the good guys.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I'm caught a little off-guard by this as well. But then again, everybody's wrong once in a while. This just happens to be a big one for Jared.

There is never a time where it is appropriate to crosscheck someone in the head. I understand that any time you are on the ice you need to be prepared for it, but in both these recent cases, Perron and Greig's actions came well after the play ended and when one would assume players should normally be allowed to lower their guard a bit. There's no way he should, in any way, support or approve of cross checking someone in the head intentionally...even in play, much less outside of it.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

There's a difference in liking the response and condoning a crosscheck to the face. I doubt he meant he liked the crosscheck to the face. I think most teams and coaches are fine with the response. However, there's a better way to respond than what he did. Drop the gloves. Crosscheck him in the ribs. Etc, etc.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
There's a difference in liking the response and condoning a crosscheck to the face. I doubt he meant he liked the crosscheck to the face. I think most teams and coaches are fine with the response. However, there's a better way to respond than what he did. Drop the gloves. Crosscheck him in the ribs. Etc, etc.
Fair comment. He may have just liked that Rielly pushed back, not necessarily that he clapped him in the face with his stick. I haven't heard the interview, so it would be good to get the context of that comment.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That's not terribly surprising, Bednar is one of the most forward-thinking coaches in the league but he comes from a very old-school background. Jared Bednar the player most certainly would've gone after a guy who did that.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You won't find many in the league that dislike the Reilly response... not sure why this is surprising in the least.
It's not surprising... just disappointing. The NHL is already decades behind other sports in protecting players from brain trauma. I'm not even sure if Bettman has acknowledged the link between repeated head trauma and long-term health consequences for players.

I also get that nobody really wants to see someone humiliate a team like that. But a cross-check to a dude's head outside of gameplay? Come on...that's f***ing bush league and you know. Bo's been known to run a little emotional for us, could you imagine him hotdogging on a goal and then getting cross-checked in the head for his efforts... after his bouts with concussions? Even showboating like a doofus doesn't deserve that type of response.

[edit...I also understand my hypocrisy knows no bounds as this response is coming from the guy who just the other day said if goalies don't want players bouncing pucks off their melon, they should quit sticking their coconut in front of the net by dropping to their knees.]

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If somebody, including Bednar, says he likes Reilly's response but not the intentional crosscheck to the head, he better states it very clearly because just saying you like Reilly's response includes the crosscheck to the head and that IMO is bush league. Nothing should call for an intentional crosscheck to the head.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's not surprising... just disappointing. The NHL is already decades behind other sports in protecting players from brain trauma. I'm not even sure if Bettman has acknowledged the link between repeated head trauma and long-term health consequences for players.

I also get that nobody really wants to see someone humiliate a team like that. But a cross-check to a dude's head outside of gameplay? Come on...that's f***ing bush league and you know. Bo's been known to run a little emotional for us, could you imagine him hotdogging on a goal and then getting cross-checked in the head for his efforts... after his bouts with concussions? Even showboating like a doofus doesn't deserve that type of response.
Nobody is saying the cross check to the head is okay... just the the response in going after him was proper. Obviously the stick got too high and that deserves a suspension.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
If somebody, including Bednar, says he likes Reilly's response but not the intentional crosscheck to the head, he better states it very clearly because just saying you like Reilly's response includes the crosscheck to the head and that IMO is bush league. Nothing should call for an intentional crosscheck to the head.
They aren't one in the same. You can like someone not liking that slapper and going after the guy, and not like the crosscheck to the face. I'm not surprised that people are lumping them together because that's how today's society is. Even more so is reading a tweet and assuming without context of listening to the interview and how he said it.

Reactions: Alienblood

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Holy assumption post here, Batman.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm probably in the vast minority on this one, and I certainly don't plan on changing anyone's mind. Would like to maybe help protect a few along the way but whatever.

I'm not losing sleep over it, and it is semantics. He likes that Rielly felt that way and was angry. Morgan should have been. And man, that clapper must've burned... but I find it hard to believe that you can say you like his response but not what he did. I also don't really think I'm being too much of a sissy on this one either as we've got plenty of folks around here still pissed May was an Av and all he did was say words.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
They aren't one in the same. You can like someone not liking that slapper and going after the guy, and not like the crosscheck to the face. I'm not surprised that people are lumping them together because that's how today's society is. Even more so is reading a tweet and assuming without context of listening to the interview and how he said it.
That was exactly my point. I am not assuming Bednar means he likes both. I'm saying if somebody says he likes the response but not the crosscheck it needs to be stated clearly because if not specified as you said people will assume you like the entire response.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad