Pre-Game Talk: Week 19: Will This Miserable Roadie Ever End? @Caps, @TBL

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I'm probably in the vast minority on this one, and I certainly don't plan on changing anyone's mind. Would like to maybe help protect a few along the way but whatever.

I'm not losing sleep over it, and it is semantics. He likes that Greig felt that way and was angry. Morgan should have been. And man, that clapper must've burned... but I find it hard to believe that you can say you like his response but not what he did. I also don't really think I'm being too much of a sissy on this one either as we've got plenty of folks around here still pissed May was an Av and all he did was say words.
I pretty much feel the same. If he had gone up and given him a face wash or crosschecked him low, I'd be perfectly fine with it. It was the cheap crosscheck to the head that I hated and think he should have gotten more than 5 games for.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
They aren't one in the same. You can like someone not liking that slapper and going after the guy, and not like the crosscheck to the face. I'm not surprised that people are lumping them together because that's how today's society is. Even more so is reading a tweet and assuming without context of listening to the interview and how he said it.

That was exactly my point. I am not assuming Bednar means he likes both. I'm saying if somebody says he likes the response but not the crosscheck it needs to be stated clearly because if not specified as you said people will assume you like the entire response.

As the guy who feels like he's mostly alone on the other side of the hill, let me just state that I absolutely agree with both of you.

However, what is different from what you both have stated and what was said about Bednar is that both of y'all distinguished between something calling for a response and what the response actually was. Whether intentional or not, what has been stated here is that Bednar simply approved. That is what I've been saying is inexcusable. If Bednar draws a distinction between the two, then why wasn't that included all the comments about what he actually said?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it is perfectly okay to not be okay with the response... but the acknowledgement of the realities in the league are a different manner. Greig broke an unwritten rule and nearly every hockey player in the league would have went after him. Coaches would want him gone after too. Reilly just went over the line with the crosscheck to the head. If he had hit the shoulder, nothing would have come of it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think it is perfectly okay to not be okay with the response... but the acknowledgement of the realities in the league are a different manner. Greig broke an unwritten rule and nearly every hockey player in the league would have went after him. Coaches would want him gone after too. Reilly just went over the line with the crosscheck to the head. If he had hit the shoulder, nothing would have come of it.

Just for the record I don't have an issue with responding to Greig's action. I hate the crosscheck.

Again, I feel like I'm an idiot for still talking about this, but how does the league get from it's okay to cross-check someone in the head after a goal, to it's okay to cross-checking someone in the shoulder, to where we get back to simply taking a number and hitting 'em hard on the next shift.

It's the response, any response, other than an immediate dropping of the gloves where the other player knows it's coming after a whistle that should be absolutely abhorrent to us all. If you still believe in old-school retribution (and I can get behind that depending on the situation) at least have the balls to do it when the puck is play and all players are going and giving 100%. Even if all a player wants to do is maybe cross-check someone in the shoulder or say stick an inch and half of the butt end of their stick up someone's rib cage in the corner, do it between the whistles, not after.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Again, I feel like I'm an idiot for still talking about this, but how does the league get from it's okay to cross-check someone in the head after a goal, to it's okay to cross-checking someone in the shoulder, to where we get back to simply taking a number and hitting 'em hard on the next shift.

It's the response, any response, other than an immediate dropping of the gloves where the other player knows it's coming after a whistle that should be absolutely abhorrent to us all. If you still believe in old-school retribution (and I can get behind that depending on the situation) at least have the balls to do it when the puck is play and all players are going and giving 100%. Even if all a player wants to do is maybe cross-check someone in the shoulder or say stick an inch and half of the butt end of their stick up someone's rib cage in the corner, do it between the whistles, not after.
Right or wrong... it is just the way hockey has been forever. Whenever a player does something after a whistle or takes liberties prior to a whistle... there is a response. If you tap the goalie while the puck is covered, there is an after whistle response. You make a big hit, especially on a star, you normally have to answer with a fight. Showboat, you have to be willing to take some heat. There is merit to arguing all the after whistle stuff being stopped, but it isn't going to be a reality in the game. Hockey prides itself on players policing the game and as long as that exists, this stuff will exist.

It is similar to the reffing debate. There is merit in changes, but the parties that have the power, have zero desire to change it.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I still think the slapper was funny af. If you don't want to get clowned on, play better. Suck it up princess (Reilly)
Yeah, I have zero issues with it. Imagine an NBA player throwing down a 360 tomahawk dunk in the closing seconds of a big win. only to have a player on the opposing team run over and forearm him across the face? Or a player in the NFL scores on an interception late in a 7-point game, spikes the ball emphatically, only to have a player on the other team run over and cheapshot him from behind? Or a MLB pitcher striking out the final batter in a big game, yelling out in celebration, only to have the batter charge the mound and swing at his face with the bat? Those all sound ridiculous, but yet in Hockey, it's not only tolerated but expected to happen.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Looks like Tampa is breaking out new uniforms for tonight

Um, meh. Would've been better of just bringing back the original jersey. Glad to see the original pants with the bolt on the side are back.

If there aren't "victory stripes" on those Espo should punch someone on the design team.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I'm legit shocked he's starting tonight. I know Georgiev has been leaving a lot to be desired, but Justus ain't it.
We can't play George every game, and Bednar lost faith in Prostate. Our GM is also slow to act. We don't got a lot of choices. We just gotta ride the Fatman.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Most likely the only thing that will matter from this season for this fan base will be the MacK vs. Kuch Hart trophy race..... And our answer to that is to start Annunen against the highest scoring forward in the league. Bush league.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Haha I was actually thinking about heading up to Tampa to go to this game. No way José after the Annunen news.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiarelli

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I'm legit shocked he's starting tonight. I know Georgiev has been leaving a lot to be desired, but Justus ain't it.
I was gonna say I smell a nice victory tonight but now I don't know.

Kucherov from his office wing on the pp on Annunen ugh

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Juicy starting so Kucherov can take an unassailable lead in the Hart and Art Ross races making MacKinnon so mad he drags us through the playoffs without any deadline moves

Bednar out here playing 6D chess

• Haha
Reactions: The Moops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad