Post-Game Talk: WEEK 18 Pats finish 8-9 - a strange season ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The biggest issue I see moving forward is that the AFC is getting better.

Chiefs/Bills/Bengals/ aren’t going anywhere.
Chargers becoming legit with Herbert.
Jacksonville looks legit and should only improve moving forward.
Jets look to be QB away from being a real playoff team, there’s a long list of QB’s available this offseason.
Dolphins got in with their starting QB missing half the season.
Raiders will get a new QB for next year.

Patriots need to make real changes to keep up and not fall into chronic mediocrity

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
A supremely mid team going roughly .500 - to be expected

They have become the type of team they used to beat up on. It doesn’t take a great team to beat the mediocre job squads, you just gotta wait until they do something stupid.
Sadly and frustratingly, the Pats have become the team that often does something stupid to allow other teams to win.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The biggest issue I see moving forward is that the AFC is getting better.

Chiefs/Bills/Bengals/ aren’t going anywhere.
Chargers becoming legit with Herbert.
Jacksonville looks legit and should only improve moving forward.
Jets look to be QB away from being a real playoff team, there’s a long list of QB’s available this offseason.
Dolphins got in with their starting QB missing half the season.
Raiders will get a new QB for next year.

Patriots need to make real changes to keep up and not fall into chronic mediocrity
You’re not wrong.

You’ve got teams like Pittsburgh and New England trying to retool on the fly, too.

Never know what’s going to happen year to year. The Patriots have taken a conservative route to retooling. They’re a middler who feast on crap teams, but they’re pretenders.

Then you’ve got a team like Denver who swung for the fences on Wilson, went for broke, and are now bust.

Not easy decisions ahead for this organization. The one saving grace is that they maximized their windows (relatively) and won multiple titles twice.

Not an easy accomplishment at all.
But Bill’s legacy is under review here, and at the end of the day he’s done nothing without Brady.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Weird season indeed. Anxious to see what changes are made this offseason. Feels like they over and underachieved at the same time.

If this is it for Slate and McCourty, sad it had to end like this but both of their careers have as many high points as any other modern day athlete. Legends and wish them the best.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You’re not wrong.

You’ve got teams like Pittsburgh and New England trying to retool on the fly, too.

Never know what’s going to happen year to year. The Patriots have taken a conservative route to retooling. They’re a middler who feast on crap teams, but they’re pretenders.

Then you’ve got a team like Denver who swung for the fences on Wilson, went for broke, and are now bust.

Not easy decisions ahead for this organization. The one saving grace is that they maximized their windows (relatively) and won multiple titles twice.

Not an easy accomplishment at all.
But Bill’s legacy is under review here, and at the end of the day he’s done nothing without Brady.

Just makes it all that more challenging (competing in the near future) you basically have all the potential Hall of Fame QB’s in the AFC including the 3 best QB’s in the league and as early as next year it could be as bad as having the 5 best QB’s.

Mahomes
Burrows
Allen
Herbert
Lawrence
Jackson

So you can look at it as all those teams having a head start over the Patriots.

Then you have a mix of teams like the Titans/Steelers/Patriots trying to figure it out without having a elite level QB as their starter.

If I had to put money on the line I’d say Brady to Vegas if he doesn’t get to SF and Carr/Garoppolo to Jets.

So if Bill wants to compete in the near future whatever he has done right now is not working and they need to add legit talent into the roster with different coaches. Otherwise they’ll be anywhere from 6-12 without having a legit shot at challenging any of the top teams when it matters

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Well it was a great run while it lasted.

I foresee a return to the bad old days of 2-14 coming very soon.

Belichek & staff plus the front office and maybe even ownership are just burned out & used up at this point. They need a strong injection of new, younger blood.

Reactions: LSCII

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
I think anyone expecting wholesale changes will be sorely disappointed. Bill was cocky enough to hire his dumb friends to jobs they weren't qualified for when everyone said it was a bad idea, he's not going to sack them now when everyone is saying he should.

Reactions: BMC and dabid

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Matthew Slater will be in Canton next to his dad. I don't care what anyone says.
What special teams players are in HOF? Honest question. I mean I guess he could make it but I would personally find that disrespectful to other Patriot players who probably won't get in.

Dkh called McCourty a HOFer. We all love Dev but he made two pro bowls and zero first team all pros. That's not even close to HOF.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I think anyone expecting wholesale changes will be sorely disappointed. Bill was cocky enough to hire his dumb friends to jobs they weren't qualified for when everyone said it was a bad idea, he's not going to sack them now when everyone is saying he should.
What if he's told it's either them or him?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

The New England Patriots lost to this team at Gillette Stadium

I sincerely doubt he's at the point with Kraft where he'd be given coaching directives. And if he is he's probably gone himself so problem solved, for better or worse.
Oh it's for better but there will still be people who won't admit it

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
What special teams players are in HOF? Honest question. I mean I guess he could make it but I would personally find that disrespectful to other Patriot players who probably won't get in.

Dkh called McCourty a HOFer. We all love Dev but he made two pro bowls and zero first team all pros. That's not even close to HOF.
I believe he would be the first. He revolutionized modern day special teams. Teams saw the emphasis the Pats put on that unit and began copying it. Putting him in is not a slap in the face to other Patriots players. They'd be thrilled for him.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
At the end of the day, they never beat anybody.

Feasted on the Jets for the upteenth consecutive season.

Their “extra” interconference game was against the Cardinals with no Murray.

Tua gets hurt again so you avoid him in the home finale.

As Bill Parcells famously said “You are what your record says you are.”
That's exactly it. Of their 8 wins, only one, came against a quality opponent (Miami) and that was with their third string QB in the game. Their other best win in the end turned out to be Pittsburgh, but that was week 2 when they looked like garbage and had Mitch Trubisky at QB.

Otherwise they beat the Lions (trash), Colts (supertrash), Browns before Watson came back (mediocre trash), Jets twice (Jets), and Cardinals after their starter snapped his ACL on the second paly from scrimmage (also trash).

Their 9 losses, they were in the game at the end for at least 5 of them. But they say good teams find ways to win and bad teams find ways to lose. They were tight with Baltimore before a few red zone turnovers, took the Packers to the tail end of OT, were a Hunter Henry catch away from beating Minnesota, had a total meltdown in Vegas, and also had Cincy on the ropes until another damn redzone fumble. The only four times they got walked were Buffalo twice, the first Miami game in week 1, and f***ing 3-14 Chicago.

It really is the darkest timeline when you miss the playoffs but still pick 18th overall or whatever. But they're where they deserve to be. They mostly beat the teams they were supposed to beat and lost to the teams they were supposed to lose to. Just watching it play out was torture. Vegas and Chicago are primarily the reason they missed the playoffs. No excuse to lose those games to those teams - one from a complete no-show effort and one from historically bad decision. Either goes the other way they're in. We all know if they did make it in they would've just got rolled over in the WC game, but I think we'd all rather they made it in than being the last team out, if only for some semblance of pride.

Also infuriating is that today might've been the best the offense played all year. They actually opened up and used play-action. Mac had some of his best throws (but was nowhere near perfect) and looked more like 202`1 Mac than 2022 Mac - still not sold on him being the guy though. But there doesn't seem to be any alternative out there. Just replacing Patricia with Bill O'Brien or really any high school QB coach would probably make a significant difference in his production next year. But I still find it concerning that we're two years in and he doesn't have a signature moment, a signature win. He came close a few times, but never finished. Of course, not all his fault, there have been 3 or 4 games where we had the ball late going for the winning score and fumbled. Some drops, bad calls, taking the lead and the defense letting them down. But Brady always finished. The only 4th quarter comeback victory of the last two years was actually on the back of a JC Jackson pick-six of Herbert in LA last year and not a drive downfield by the offense. It's fair to say he hasn't had a lot of help from the offensive line, his RBs, his WRs, the refs, etc. But just like good teams finding ways, so should good QBs, right? And in the two years, the only times I'd say we beat a better team than us with a strong effort were Tennessee last year and the first Buffalo game in that crazy windstorm when no one could throw. That's a concerning trend. They used to be able to find a way to win these games, and between coaching and players, they're not getting it done anymore.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
No doubt they'd be thrilled i just think there's far more important Patriot players who won't come close.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
Well it was a great run while it lasted.

I foresee a return to the bad old days of 2-14 coming very soon.

Belichek & staff plus the front office and maybe even ownership are just burned out & used up at this point. They need a strong injection of new, younger blood.
It's time. With an end, comes a new beginning. Truly has been a long & historic run, so maybe the new 2-14, if it gets that low, will hit different now. Looking forward to relative "sucktitude" in the short term...lol

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad