NFL GDT: Week 17

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
No, they know the scenario. They still don't care. It's not their job. It's not really a difficult concept to grasp. Your NBA analogy is not relevant particularly because it's the sport where the draft is least relevant.
Fringe players who may get cut generally don't have a huge impact on the game. So you're telling me not one player on the Cardinals is smart enough to realize losing was better for them this weekend? Rosen is supposed to be a bright guy, he's not getting replaced in this year's draft. You don't think he wants as much help as he can get? You see how frustrated Peterson is with losing? You don't think he wants help? They're in positions to impact the game and know losing guarantees them the number one pick. A four year old could figure that out. Somehow I find it hard to believe that they're dumber than a four year old.

You say it's not their job to care. They wanna win don't they? Does losing Sunday give them a better chance of winning next year? Yes. So you're telling me if you played for the Cards you "wouldn't care" about the draft pick and go try to win a meaningless game?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fringe players who may get cut generally don't have a huge impact on the game. So you're telling me not one player on the Cardinals is smart enough to realize losing was better for them this weekend? Rosen is supposed to be a bright guy, he's not getting replaced in this year's draft. You don't think he wants as much help as he can get? You see how frustrated Peterson is with losing? You don't think he wants help? They're in positions to impact the game and know losing guarantees them the number one pick. A four year old could figure that out. Somehow I find it hard to believe that they're dumber than a four year old.

You say it's not their job to care. They wanna win don't they? Does losing Sunday give them a better chance of winning next year? Yes. So you're telling me if you played for the Cards you "wouldn't care" about the draft pick and go try to win a meaningless game?

Patrick Peterson already tried to get himself traded during this season if you’re wondering how invested he is in getting help for the team he’s already on.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Patrick Peterson already tried to get himself traded during this season if you’re wondering how invested he is in getting help for the team he’s already on.
Yeah, and that was squashed within days. (Not to mention completely supports my point). He was frustrated with losing. Well, the number one pick is certainly going to help in that regard. Peterson will be on the team next year, and he knows it. I notice you keep cherrypicking trivialities while not directly addressing anything I say. So I'll make myself a little more clear.

You say players don't care if they're surrounded with talent. I disagree.

You say it's not a player's job to pay any attention to the overall well-being of the team, yet we hear about guys trying to recruit friends ALL the time. So again, I disagree.

You feel top players under contract for next year are too stupid to realize it would be in their best interest to lose a meaningless game that guarantees them the number one pick. I disagree.

You did not answer my question. If you're Rosen, Peterson, DJ, you don't want/try to lose that game to ensure the team gets the number one pick?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If anything players are going to do what’s best for themselves. Putting good play on tape might help them get FA contracts or facilitate getting traded off their current team. Why would they care about a draft pick when half of them won’t be there next year anyway? Players are almost all competing for jobs every single year, very little is guaranteed in the NFL.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
If anything players are going to do what’s best for themselves. Putting good play on tape might help them get FA contracts or facilitate getting traded off their current team. Why would they care about a draft pick when half of them won’t be there next year anyway? Players are almost all competing for jobs every single year, very little is guaranteed in the NFL.
Guys not under contract for next year, sure. Or guys who are at risk of getting released. I completely understand them trying their best on Sunday. But Rosen, Peterson, DJ, Chandler Jones, Budda Baker, Reddick, etc. Absolutely not. First, I would've sat all of them, but if I'm them and the coaching staff doesn't bench me, I do everything in my power to help the team lose.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Guys not under contract for next year, sure. Or guys who are at risk of getting released. I completely understand them trying their best on Sunday. But Rosen, Peterson, DJ, Chandler Jones, Budda Baker, Reddick, etc. Absolutely not. First, I would've sat all of them, but if I'm them and the coaching staff doesn't bench me, I do everything in my power to help the team lose.

What if the players liked their coaches and knew this game could change whether or not he stays or goes? Wilks and his staff was clearly on the edge.

As a fan or maybe even as a GM, it makes sense to figure out creative ways to lose that last game. You see teams tank all the time in basketball. As a player or coach? Other than a few specific examples, it's tough.

I still think it would have been funny if Dallas took a knee on the 2pt convert to give the Giants a win and hurt their draft pick and chance to get their next QB, though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, and that was squashed within days. (Not to mention completely supports my point). He was frustrated with losing. Well, the number one pick is certainly going to help in that regard. Peterson will be on the team next year, and he knows it. I notice you keep cherrypicking trivialities while not directly addressing anything I say. So I'll make myself a little more clear.

You say players don't care if they're surrounded with talent. I disagree.

You say it's not a player's job to pay any attention to the overall well-being of the team, yet we hear about guys trying to recruit friends ALL the time. So again, I disagree.

You feel top players under contract for next year are too stupid to realize it would be in their best interest to lose a meaningless game that guarantees them the number one pick. I disagree.

You did not answer my question. If you're Rosen, Peterson, DJ, you don't want/try to lose that game to ensure the team gets the number one pick?

I answered the question multiple times, it's just at the point where you're either in denial or intentionally obtuse.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I answered the question multiple times, it's just at the point where you're either in denial or intentionally obtuse.
Perhaps I missed it, but I don't recall seeing you address the question in regard to if you were Rosen, Peterson, DJ, would you rather lose that game or win it? And if you'd rather lose it, which I think we can all agree is what's best for both the team and your situation for possibly the next several years, would you not do everything in your power to lose the game?

I still think it would have been funny if Dallas took a knee on the 2pt convert to give the Giants a win and hurt their draft pick and chance to get their next QB, though.
I was thinking the exact same thing in the Cards game once the Minnesota game went final and the Seahawks clinched the 5 seed. Luckily it was very late and essentially during Wilson's game-winning drive, but as a division rival with (at that point) nothing left to play for, I'd certainly want to give the Cards the win and cost them the #1 pick.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The idea that players want to lose games because their team can select some unnamed future draft pick who might be a net positive for them at some unknown time in the future is dumb.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
The idea that players want to lose games because their team can select some unnamed future draft pick who might be a net positive for them at some unknown time in the future is dumb.
So if you were under contract for the next 4 years and your team sucked, if someone said you could have the number one pick or the number four pick you'd say you don't care and just flip a coin?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad