NFL GDT: Week 17

member 157595

Although Watson seems like an upgrade over Schaub/Hoyer/Osweiler.

And Luck is an upgrade over Dalton/Connor Cook.

That's kind of like saying a steak seems like an upgrade over being hanged, drawn and quartered.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Houston will lose by 20, even if prime Brady was their qb. It's what they do.

The Texans are due if they have to go to Foxboro. They have to break through some point.

Ask the Penguins how “It’s what they do” worked out against Washington

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Leave it to the idiot Cardinals to damn near win yesterday and cost themselves the number one pick. I don't know how a franchise can be THAT stupid. And what's equally embarrassing is all the Cards "fans" cheering for them yesterday.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Players and coaches don't give a shit about the #1 pick, all the coaches knew they were getting canned anyways.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Players and coaches don't give a **** about the #1 pick, all the coaches knew they were getting canned anyways.
A coach who's getting fired I can understand, but a player under contract for next year? If they don't realize that losing that game is beneficial to them they're absolute morons.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A coach who's getting fired I can understand, but a player under contract for next year? If they don't realize that losing that game is beneficial to them they're absolute morons.
How do they know they'll be there next year?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If the Cardinals won, we would have had a 4-way tie at 4-12. Would have made for an entertaining tiebreaker scenario.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It was likely Larry Fitz's last game. They wanted a W for him.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
How do they know they'll be there next year?
The percentage of guys under contract next year, particularly the guys who could influence the game (Rosen for one) who would be traded/released is very small.
It was likely Larry Fitz's last game. They wanted a W for him.
Larry is the ultimate team first guy. He'd rather them get the number one pick then win a meaningless game on the road.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The percentage of guys under contract next year, particularly the guys who could influence the game (Rosen for one) who would be traded/released is very small.

Larry is the ultimate team first guy. He'd rather them get the number one pick then win a meaningless game on the road.
The ultimate team-first guy made a hell of a catch yesterday on a terrible throw to score a touchdown.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
The ultimate team-first guy made a hell of a catch yesterday on a terrible throw to score a touchdown.
He's one of those guys who goes out there and does his job no matter what. I'm not looking to get into minutiae. The bottom line is it is MUCH better for the organization to lose that game, and there are enough players on that roster under contract that could easily make that happen. The win is entirely meaningless. Anyone who thinks the team should win a meaningless game and cost themselves the number one pick quite simply doesn't get it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's one of those guys who goes out there and does his job no matter what. I'm not looking to get into minutiae. The bottom line is it is MUCH better for the organization to lose that game, and there are enough players on that roster under contract that could easily make that happen. The win is entirely meaningless. Anyone who thinks the team should win a meaningless game and cost themselves the number one pick quite simply doesn't get it.
I think you're the one not getting that the players don't really give a shit. That's not their job. The GM could've come down and demanded his best players get benched. He didn't.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I think you're the one not getting that the players don't really give a ****. That's not their job. The GM could've come down and demanded his best players get benched. He didn't.
So you're telling me the players under contract for next year are so stupid they don't realize losing and getting the number one pick will be beneficial to both them and the team? I find that very hard to believe.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So you're telling me the players under contract for next year are so stupid they don't realize losing and getting the number one pick will be beneficial to both them and the team? I find that very hard to believe.

No. They don't care.

Reactions: Bob Richards

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good luck trying to tell some of the most competitive people on the planet to not be competitive.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

Yes.

That's why the holding call on the Scoop n' Score that would've won the game for the Cards.

Then again, the ST didn't get that message either.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
They might know it on paper, during the week, maybe even in meetings and practices.

When the ball is kicked off competitive juices and egos take over. It's why I kinda wish the NFL had some sort of lottery system to determine draft picks. If you are 3-12 and fight like hell and win the last game of the season you shouldn't get punished for that because the other 3-12 team laid down.

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
No. They don't care.
Completely disagree that all players can't decipher this very basic scenario. And for the ones who can't, they're idiots. Because as we've seen particularly in the NBA, guys will do virtually anything to play for a winner.

As for turning the competitive juices off, I'm about as competitive a person as you'll find (not nearly at this level of course), but if you told me if I lose this meaningless game today my team will be better next year, I'd literally lay down and hand the ball to the other team. Winning hurts you, and it's not subjective nor debatable. Anyone who doesn't grasp that concept isn't terribly bright.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Completely disagree that all players can't decipher this very basic scenario. And for the ones who can't, they're idiots. Because as we've seen particularly in the NBA, guys will do virtually anything to play for a winner.

As for turning the competitive juices off, I'm about as competitive a person as you'll find (not nearly at this level of course), but if you told me if I lose this meaningless game today my team will be better next year, I'd literally lay down and hand the ball to the other team. Winning hurts you, and it's not subjective nor debatable. Anyone who doesn't grasp that concept isn't terribly bright.

No, they know the scenario. They still don't care. It's not their job. It's not really a difficult concept to grasp. Your NBA analogy is not relevant particularly because it's the sport where the draft is least relevant.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The other thing is, they would potentially be drafting guys to replace you. So maybe you can punt the game if you're a star, but for the rest of the the team you are still competing for your spot on the team or in the league. This isn't a league with guaranteed contracts like those other leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->