Post-Game Talk: WEEK 15 - What happens in Vegas just went to a new level - speechless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Disclaimer: not a football guy these days, have only seen the highlight of the final play.

Could they not just kneel on it and play for overtime?

Who made that final pass to Jones, and has he ever thrown a football in his life? How can a professional athlete, a football player no less, look like he was throwing a football for the first time? It’s almost like he had the realization, just a half second too late, that he is actually left handed.

Has Mac Jones ever tried to tackle anybody? He didn’t even get run over. It was more that he gently laid down and allowed that other dude to gingerly step over him.

Everything is wrong
Yes, they absolutely could have just taken a knee and gone for OT. Or even thrown a deep pass to the endzone or even just into chip-shot field goal range and hope to get a pass interference call, which the Raiders being the Raiders is pretty likely. Then they'd have a final un-timed play to make a FG to win it.

As a Raider fan i think people are being pretty harsh on Mac Jones for this one play (rest of the game, fair enough) he must have been as shocked as anyone that all of sudden he had to make an open field tackle, the specific result is a little embarassing, but i think it's pretty understandable

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
I've been a fan of this team since I was a kid in the 80s and this season is the most infuriating season I've watched. I remember them known as the "Patsies" and being a total cupcake on the schedule. Maybe it is the past 20 years of "smart" winning football that has me being a snob and expecting more. But I can't devote my Sundays to this team and watch this stuff. I can be labeled a fair-weather fan, if need be, but I can't do this. It is obviously a "me" problem that I let them bother me so much. Same with the Bruins. It is overall, just a game, but it means more to the crazy fanatics then just a game.

I get so annoyed when I've seen this team make a multitude of dumb mistakes. The not running out of bounds when the half is almost over, the weird ass play calls, the crazy stupid mistakes like running backwards and lateralling the football 15-20 yards from the sideline back to your pudgy not super athletic QB. I don't want to come across as a know it all, but I've played football for quite a while and have been watching it for even longer and even I understand when you should be running out of bounds and not cutting back into the field of play before halftime or a few other absolute blunders this team has made throughout the season. I can watch bad football. I don't get this annoyed when they lose to teams that are straight up better than them, but this shooting yourself in the foot stuff is very tough to watch.

I'm going to obviously root for them and pay attention to the score, but I can't give up my Sundays for this brand of football. My wife will be thrilled even if it is only for 3 weeks.:laugh: Obviously, this post accomplishes nothing more than to vent frustrations and for some to judge me as a terrible fair-weather fan and I'm not even sure why I am writing it, except I am at work and still annoyed because of talking about it with a bunch of Giants fan out here in SW Vermont. :help::laugh:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Disclaimer: not a football guy these days, have only seen the highlight of the final play.

Who made that final pass to Jones, and has he ever thrown a football in his life? How can a professional athlete, a football player no less, look like he was throwing a football for the first time? It’s almost like he had the realization, just a half second too late, that he is actually left handed.

Has Mac Jones ever tried to tackle anybody? He didn’t even get run over. It was more that he gently laid down and allowed that other dude to gingerly step over him.

Everything is wrong
Long story short, MJ got stiff armed hard by Chandler Jones who's a big boy - he's not getting taken down by Mac on his back foot

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Yes, they absolutely could have just taken a knee and gone for OT. Or even thrown a deep pass to the endzone or even just into chip-shot field goal range and hope to get a pass interference call, which the Raiders being the Raiders is pretty likely. Then they'd have a final un-timed play to make a FG to win it.

As a Raider fan i think people are being pretty harsh on Mac Jones for this one play (rest of the game, fair enough) he must have been as shocked as anyone that all of sudden he had to make an open field tackle, the specific result is a little embarassing, but i think it's pretty understandable
I won’t hold it against Mac for not tackling Chandler Jones there for obvious reasons. However all of his whining about not having deep passes as part of the game plan better be in the past. He threw a handful of deep balls yesterday and they almost all off target. There is a reason they don’t want him throwing deep balls… he can’t throw them!

IveGotToBeMe

Jul 1, 2012
RI
Honestly, it's time to start over. I know this borders on sacrilege but it's time for a new, not associated with the organization or Belichick "bloodline", head coach. I love BB and everything he has done for the Patriots, the NFL, and the fanbase but this has to be the lowest point we've seen for a long time. BB said before the season and multiple times since "blame me". Unfortunately it's time to cut the cord. There is no holding out for him to chase the Shula record. What he's done is become selfishly focused on himself, his sons (nepotism), and his "hangers on" (Patricia, Judge, etc.). At one point in the not too distant past it felt like there was a quiet transition playing out in the background to pass the torch to Jerod Mayo. That scenario is no longer evident as the defensive play calling and oversight seems that have been given to the mullet man. There is no better time than now to cleanse the organization and to bring in a new head coach early in the offseason. Let him choose his staff and keep only those that will work in his system. Hire a professional GM that operates independently from the head coach while working with him and the rest of the organization to identify areas of need. We all knew it would end at some point, many of us thought as is so often the case, that it might end messy and unfortunately that is where we are in the present. I will still support the team and the organization regardless of where we end up heading because, at the end of the day, I am still a fan and I believe in supporting my team until the bitter end.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Everything is wrong
They could have taken a knee, yes.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Honestly, it's time to start over. I know this borders on sacrilege but it's time for a new, not associated with the organization or Belichick "bloodline", head coach. I love BB and everything he has done for the Patriots, the NFL, and the fanbase but this has to be the lowest point we've seen for a long time. BB said before the season and multiple times since "blame me". Unfortunately it's time to cut the cord. There is no holding out for him to chase the Shula record. What he's done is become selfishly focused on himself, his sons (nepotism), and his "hangers on" (Patricia, Judge, etc.). At one point in the not too distant past it felt like there was a quiet transition playing out in the background to pass the torch to Jerod Mayo. That scenario is no longer evident as the defensive play calling and oversight seems that have been given to the mullet man. There is no better time than now to cleanse the organization and to bring in a new head coach early in the offseason. Let him choose his staff and keep only those that will work in his system. Hire a professional GM that operates independently from the head coach while working with him and the rest of the organization to identify areas of need. We all knew it would end at some point, many of us thought as is so often the case, that it might end messy and unfortunately that is where we are in the present. I will still support the team and the organization regardless of where we end up heading because, at the end of the day, I am still a fan and I believe in supporting my team until the bitter end.
Overreaction in my opinion. This team needs a few things:

•A real offensive coordinator
•A good QB (via trade or free agency)
•A healthy offensive line

The running game is very solid, this defense is playoff worthy. Bill is still a very good head coach.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
No other coach would win this many games with Mac Jones as their QB. I think if he was the starter on another franchise they would possible go 0-17.
Lol. This has to be a joke. No other team, including Houston, would go 0-17 with mac. Josh McDaniels is a HORRIBLE head coach and he'd have the raiders in the playoffs with mac at qb.

Full context, I'm not even a Mac fan and have no horse in this race..

IveGotToBeMe

Jul 1, 2012
RI
Overreaction in my opinion. This team needs a few things:

•A real offensive coordinator
•A good QB (via trade or free agency)
•A healthy offensive line

The running game is very solid, this defense is playoff worthy. Bill is still a very good head coach.
I respect your opinion and not overreacting just stating the ugly truths without rose colored glasses (and believe me, I've been wearing them for awhile now) but let me make three points:

- BB controls all of the things you called out in your reply - he chose this OC clusterf$#@, he's the de facto GM and could have chosen a different route for both QB and OL but chose this route with oft-injured Brown/Wynn as his tackles.
- BB is not willing to expand his staff choices beyond the same old retreads and family members.
- I still believe BB is a solid head coach but the league is passing him by and he's too set in his ways to adjust.

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
Hmm.... I thought this was a hockey website. Are there no other places to talk about football? Yeah, I get some people like other sports (although the reason escapes me). But does this have to be a sticky?

• Haha
Reactions: CDJ

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Hmm.... I thought this was a hockey website. Are there no other places to talk about football? Yeah, I get some people like other sports (although the reason escapes me). But does this have to be a sticky?
Hit the Ignore thread button. I do it often. Helps cut the clutter

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
A good % of posters here follow football and are Pats fans.
Ignore the thread.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Long story short, MJ got stiff armed hard by Chandler Jones who's a big boy - he's not getting taken down by Mac on his back foot
Asking Mac to tackle Chandler is like asking a sub 6 foot DB to tackle Gronk. Despite having a DC in Patricia coach the offense, he’s not teaching Jones how to tackle.
Mac is the last man back. Should not be throwing the ball 30 yards in the air to him anyways.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Brutal game, so many things had to go wrong just to get to that last play.

Going to have to win out in all likelihood to make the playoffs

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So don't bother entering or if you can't resist and need to not see it to make that happen, block the thread so you don't. Why care if other people want to discuss this sport even if you don't?

Reactions: CDJ

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Brutal game, so many things had to go wrong just to get to that last play.

Going to have to win out in all likelihood to make the playoffs
Just going by what you've seen, does this team look like a playoff caliber team? If they were to make it by some miracle, they're going to get smoked. They can't score on offense. They can't throw the ball downfield. They can't keep Mac upright. They have no sustained drives or pressure so their defense gets worn out, which is what happened last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad