NFL GDT: Week 15 - Part 2

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
on beckham
The NFL is discussing potential discipline for Odell Beckham Jr., but sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that a one-game suspension is likely to come down against the New York Giants receiver.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I get why he should have been flagged, and even thrown out of the game.

But as a hockey fan, my first reaction after seeing that was "That's it? Meh." :laugh:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I get why he should have been flagged, and even thrown out of the game.

But as a hockey fan, my first reaction after seeing that was "That's it? Meh." :laugh:

It was the helmet to helmet cheapshot. The slap fights and wrestling is common place among dbs and receivers.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
People care because OBJ is supposed to be one of the young "faces" of the league and it happened on a nationally televised game. Nobody cares about suspending Burfict, he got 4 personal fouls, 2 on late hits and head-butted a Steelers player in pre-game. It's so uneven the way things are enforced.

Also people need to get off the whole Josh Norman was a victim angle. It's so far away from the truth. Norman is a punk who cheap shots people all the time on the field and then talks a bunch of crap on Twitter. It amuses me that he gets off on calling OBJ a "ballerina" whatever when Norman is getting on his computer all the time firing shots like a 12-year-old girl. It's all just so tiresome.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Also people need to get off the whole Josh Norman was a victim angle. It's so far away from the truth. Norman is a punk who cheap shots people all the time on the field and then talks a bunch of crap on Twitter. It amuses me that he gets off on calling OBJ a "ballerina" whatever when Norman is getting on his computer all the time firing shots like a 12-year-old girl. It's all just so tiresome.

100% not true.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Nah its pretty true. I mean the dude tried to fight your QB in training camp. He instigated it yesterday with OBJ and got him off his game in the 1st half. If that's how he is going to play then expect some push back from the opposition.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
100% not true.

It is absolutely true. Doesn't mean he's not a great player, I'm just saying he can't be shocked and play the victim when the other guy gets tired of his nonsense. Look at his whole deal with Rodney Harrison, it's the same thing, but worse, because Harrison actually said good things about him alongside the "bad" (which really wasn't even bad) and he still pretty much just spit in his face. He's got to be one of the more annoying players in the league lately.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I've watched every single play of every single game, and Norman hasn't done anything remotely close to being labeled a "punk who cheapshots people". I can't even remember a time he's been flagged before this game. And the training camp thing has as much to do with Cam as it does Norman.

Ridiculous statements.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NormJo01/penalties/

5 unsportsmanlike/personal foul/taunting penalties in two seasons before this last game. And those are just the things that gets caught. He likes to pull and tweak ankles after the play too, seen him do that more than a few times.

The whole Panthers defense (arguably the whole Panthers team with the exception of a few players) plays a little on the edge, and that's fine. Just don't play the bully and then act like the victim when the other guy hits back. Not excusing OBJ either, he was totally out of control.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
In pregame warmups, at least one Panthers official, and possibly more, carried black baseball bats on to the field and were motioning with them towards Odell Beckham Jr. while making comments to him, per a league source. Norman later grabbed the black bat and was swinging it in pregame warmups – which, by the way, an NFL Films camera captured. Beckham, according to another source, felt threatened and it helped put him in a certain frame of mind. It does not excuse what he did during the course of the game, but it does explain what led up to the battle that still is the talk of the league today.

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/1067250336660940

what in the world is going on?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
^ they went out with a concerted effort to get under his skin, that's for sure. Cheap tactic, not that I blame them, OBJ's biggest weakness is he gets frustrated when you take shots at him and gets out of his head. Has been the same way for a long time even at LSU.

I don't like the sideline stuff though, that seems beyond the pale.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The Saints used to run out with baseball bats too in their SB season, but it was more an inspirational/team message thing, something about "bring the wood". They weren't pointing the bats at people and making threatening comments.

If it were really team "officials" and not just players that makes it more disturbing. Exactly who is in charge here? This sort of thing doesn't seem to fit Ron Rivera's personality for sure.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NormJo01/penalties/

5 unsportsmanlike/personal foul/taunting penalties in two seasons before this last game. And those are just the things that gets caught. He likes to pull and tweak ankles after the play too, seen him do that more than a few times.

The whole Panthers defense (arguably the whole Panthers team with the exception of a few players) plays a little on the edge, and that's fine. Just don't play the bully and then act like the victim when the other guy hits back. Not excusing OBJ either, he was totally out of control.

Exactly.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is getting pretty funny now. Going to Schefter, Glazer, etc and making a big deal out of the bat seems like a way to try and escape a suspension.

Norman was a victim at times on the field because OBJ kept targeting his head but in general, he's far from that. A guy who talks and taunts as much as he does probably knew it was coming at some point.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
#BatGate

what I know for a fact is that this is yet another blemish on the messy shield. Won't somebody think of the #integrity? As if the league needs to be associated with more thuggery. Players shouldn't have to be worried about being gang assaulted by bats. I think a minimum Suspension of 4 games for Josh Norman is in order. Also for having this kind of institutional chaos the panthers should have their 1st and 4th round picks taken away from them.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He seems to talk **** off the field far more often than other DB's, that's his problem.

Not that he doesn't back it up or anything

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
That's fine but if some scrub practice squaders were threatening OBJ with them and taking pregame gamesmanship a bit too far then Rivera needs to control his guys better.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
more:

http://deadspin.com/reports-bat-wielding-panthers-menaced-odell-beckham-jr-1749127130

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Apparently Marcus Ball, a #Panthers practice squad player, was holding a bat pregame. He had to be separated from Odell Beckham pregame.
1:38 PM - 21 Dec 2015

We still don’t know who the “Panthers official” mentioned in Schefter’s report could be, but Giants beat writer Art Stapleton is reporting that Josh Norman was also wielding a bat before the game, and that threats toward Beckham Jr. were made:

What upset Odell Beckham Jr.?
Per source, Josh Norman brought a baseball bat out pre-game. Perception: he was sending message to Beckham.
1:25 PM - 21 Dec 2015

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton

I'm told there were comments made in direction of Odell Beckham Jr. + other players about how Panthers coming to "beat the s**t out of him."
1:32 PM - 21 Dec 2015

Note that 5-6 years ago when the Saints started doing this (AFAIK they were the first team to pass out bats pregame) the bats were not actually supposed to come out onto the field. it was just a locker room thing. Reggie Bush ran out of the tunnel with one raised in the air and got yelled at for it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Panthers use the bat to symbolize "bringing the wood".

I know it's some kind of conspiracy now. But that slogan is used a lot.

So do they routinely walk up to a team taking the field and point bats at them while yelling at them? Was a scum bag move. Zero sympathy from my end and I fully endorse what OBJ did.

The only fault of his was throwing a punch. Don't hurt your hands, kid.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
more:

http://deadspin.com/reports-bat-wielding-panthers-menaced-odell-beckham-jr-1749127130

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Apparently Marcus Ball, a #Panthers practice squad player, was holding a bat pregame. He had to be separated from Odell Beckham pregame.
1:38 PM - 21 Dec 2015

We still don’t know who the “Panthers official†mentioned in Schefter’s report could be, but Giants beat writer Art Stapleton is reporting that Josh Norman was also wielding a bat before the game, and that threats toward Beckham Jr. were made:

What upset Odell Beckham Jr.?
Per source, Josh Norman brought a baseball bat out pre-game. Perception: he was sending message to Beckham.
1:25 PM - 21 Dec 2015

Art Stapleton @art_stapleton

I'm told there were comments made in direction of Odell Beckham Jr. + other players about how Panthers coming to "beat the s**t out of him."
1:32 PM - 21 Dec 2015

Note that 5-6 years ago when the Saints started doing this (AFAIK they were the first team to pass out bats pregame) the bats were not actually supposed to come out onto the field. it was just a locker room thing. Reggie Bush ran out of the tunnel with one raised in the air and got yelled at for it.

what he even doing? in that video on the site hes walking right towards the giants pointing the bat

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So do they routinely walk up to a team taking the field and point bats at them while yelling at them? Was a scum bag move. Zero sympathy from my end and I fully endorse what OBJ did.

The only fault of his was throwing a punch. Don't hurt your hands, kid.

You would support someone trying to concuss another player cause the felt threatened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad