NFL GDT: Week 11

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd almost expect it.

Hope not, all the bye weeks I need Watson to continue last weeks break-out.
A bit early to discuss but the Buffalo game is expect around 6 feet of snow. Obviously they will clear the field ahead of the game and again at halftime but darn that’s a lot of snow. This is why a run game is vital over the final 1/3 of the season in cold weather cities.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
A bit early to discuss but the Buffalo game is expect around 6 feet of snow. Obviously they will clear the field ahead of the game and again at halftime but darn that’s a lot of snow. This is why a run game is vital over the final 1/3 of the season in cold weather cities.
For those of us that grew up in a lake-effect snow belt, those were by far the best times to play football as kids. My brother and I used to jump off the roof of our house (hi mom!), catch a pass in mid-air and land in gigantic piles. All you have to do to make that Buffalo-specific is put a f***ing table in there and thems people is good to go.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The snow event is supposed to be over by Sunday (with the heaviest stuff being tonight and tomorrow). The real concern is Cleveland getting there and snow removal so that fans can also travel. The game itself, if played in Buffalo, shouldn't really be affected by it.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The Bills playing on Thanksgiving takes away the best option…to move the game to Monday Night. They can’t because of the turnaround.

They could end up playing two games in Detroit in four days.

The biggest issue isn’t the field conditions…it’s the road conditions with 60 thousand plus people trying to get to the game

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
A good point brought up on the Bills board - if the NFL waits too long the Bills will have just as much trouble getting out as Cleveland would have getting in. With the heaviest snows supposed to start tonight into tomorrow, they're running out of time to move the game.

But with the storm warning ending Friday night (1 AM Saturday, to be precise), they'll have a full day to clear the roads where, if it is snowing, it won't be snowing nearly as hard (2-4 inches predicted through the entire day Saturday). Could maybe see it moved to the 4 PM window if travel's difficult on Saturday, but I think it will be played in Buffalo.

Reactions: The Note

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think they have to move it, not just because of the conditions and resources, but the Bills play on thanksgiving, so they can’t chance it either.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think they have to move it, not just because of the conditions and resources, but the Bills play on thanksgiving, so they can’t chance it either.
I’m pretty positive it’s being moved to Detroit.

Even if they’re sure the field can be good by kickoff…dealing with the up to 6 feet of snow everywhere else around the stadium isn’t just impossible by then…it has to be the priority

what makes it impossible is that the show hasn’t even started yet. It might be dropping people high amounts south of the city (where the stadium is) over the course of 24 hours before kickoff.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m pretty positive it’s being moved to Detroit.

Even if they’re sure the field can be good by kickoff…dealing with the up to 6 feet of snow everywhere else around the stadium isn’t just impossible by then…it has to be the priority

what makes it impossible is that the show hasn’t even started yet. It might be dropping people high amounts south of the city (where the stadium is) over the course of 24 hours before kickoff.
I don’t think the field was a consideration. The resources involved by, in this case, the county, would’ve been too much to dedicate for something non-essential.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Gotta think thousands of Bills fans will flock to Detroit to avoid the storm now.
It’s too late, storm is coming in tonight. Gotta be able to get back too. You can’t just abandon your house like that.

Probably just get some displaced fans and Canadians

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
So essentially 7 home games and 10 road games this year with Cleveland short driving distance away and Buffalonians likely to be unable to get out of the city. Yay.

This has been the season from hell in terms of things Buffalo can't control

Ford Field is one of the 6 stadiums the NFLPA called on to get rid of the style of turf they use - stating both the NFL and NFLPA agrees it causes more injuries: NFLPA calls on 6 venues, including Ford Field, to improve playing surfaces and now the Bills get to play there twice in 4 days. Just praying they get out relatively healthy but the way the year has gone they'll lose another couple of contributors.

Incidentally, New Orleans (one of the other 6) is where Tre White originally got hurt on a non-contact play.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So essentially 7 home games and 10 road games this year with Cleveland short driving distance away and Buffalonians likely to be unable to get out of the city. Yay.

Ford Field is one of the 6 stadiums the NFLPA called on to get rid of the style of turf they use - stating both the NFL and NFLPA agrees it causes more injuries: NFLPA calls on 6 venues, including Ford Field, to improve playing surfaces

Incidentally, New Orleans (one of the other 6) is where Tre White originally got hurt on a non-contact play.
I’d rather play on.a neutral field than endure a wacky snow turnover no one can move the ball game. Last thing they need right now

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I’d rather play on.a neutral field than endure a wacky snow turnover no one can move the ball game. Last thing they need right now
The field would not be snow covered. The event is supposed to be over by Saturday night and the heaviest snows done by Friday a little after midnight (Saturday morning at the latest). It's all about clearing the roads/logistics (and the old "abundance of caution".)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It’s too late, storm is coming in tonight. Gotta be able to get back too. You can’t just abandon your house like that.

Probably just get some displaced fans and Canadians
It seems that in the range of 5000-10000 fans who go to games in Buffalo live in Ontario so they could very well just go to Detroit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It seems that in the range of 5000-10000 fans who go to games in Buffalo live in Ontario so they could very well just go to Detroit.
Those outside of the storm, yeah. But you can’t just abandon your house, you’re responsible for removing snow off your property. 4 feet of snow, people aren’t just going to be able to just drive home Sunday or Monday.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A good point brought up on the Bills board - if the NFL waits too long the Bills will have just as much trouble getting out as Cleveland would have getting in. With the heaviest snows supposed to start tonight into tomorrow, they're running out of time to move the game.

But with the storm warning ending Friday night (1 AM Saturday, to be precise), they'll have a full day to clear the roads where, if it is snowing, it won't be snowing nearly as hard (2-4 inches predicted through the entire day Saturday). Could maybe see it moved to the 4 PM window if travel's difficult on Saturday, but I think it will be played in Buffalo.
How close to Buffalo can the browns get to avoid the snowstorm?

Ford Field is one of the 6 stadiums the NFLPA called on to get rid of the style of turf they use - stating both the NFL and NFLPA agrees it causes more injuries: NFLPA calls on 6 venues, including Ford Field, to improve playing surfaces and now the Bills get to play there twice in 4 days. Just praying they get out relatively healthy but the way the year has gone they'll lose another couple of contributors.

realistically with turf fields, also have to consider what else goes on in the stadium during football season. 14 stadiums with turf. Easiest to switch to grass are the outdoor ones in Buffalo, NY, Cincinnati since you don’t have any other events during the fall. Then up to Seattle, NE and Carolina to work out a schedule with mls team that they share the stadium with to ensure field is in good condition for both clubs. Means two straight nfl home games before 2 on the road.

That takes care of 6/14 stadiums.

Then you have your downs ones. Houston, Dallas, Atl, and Indy all have retractable ones. But I’m assuming that they also schedule other events like concerts during the nfl season. You can do a concert so long as you schedule around it as if it was a mls team and go on the road for 2 straight games. Final 4 like Minny, NO, LA, and Detroit are permanent roofs. Have to figure out a way to make the grass work even if it means replacing it a couple of times during the year.

AZ and LV the structure of the stadium was designed to allow the field to be rolled out. But they also had the land to do that. You’d have to cut the field up in order to remove it for domed stadiums to sit on top of a hard surface. Maybe use something very similar to AZ and LV use for the field but have to cut it up into 20 sections in order to get it to the tunnels. Then it’s a safety issue with any seams when the field is reassembled. Maybe you need to put the field back together a certain number of days like a week before the next game to minimize any issues with seams.

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
How close to Buffalo can the browns get to avoid the snowstorm?
I'm not really sure what you're asking here. They're 3 hours away by bus as is - I suspect by Saturday evening they'd be able to fly in if the storm acts the way it's been forecasted to. Again, the heavy snow is supposed to be done by Friday night/Saturday morning (the lake effect snow warning lifts at 1 AM Saturday - 36 hours before kickoff). It's about clearing roads and such, which I think is managable for upstate NY long before kickoff.

realistically with turf fields, also have to consider what else goes on in the stadium during football season. 14 stadiums with turf. Easiest to switch to grass are the outdoor ones in Buffalo, NY, Cincinnati since you don’t have any other events during the fall. Then up to Seattle, NE and Carolina to work out a schedule with mls team that they share the stadium with to ensure field is in good condition for both clubs. Means two straight nfl home games before 2 on the road.

That takes care of 6/14 stadiums.

Then you have your downs ones. Houston, Dallas, Atl, and Indy all have retractable ones. But I’m assuming that they also schedule other events like concerts during the nfl season. You can do a concert so long as you schedule around it as if it was a mls team and go on the road for 2 straight games. Final 4 like Minny, NO, LA, and Detroit are permanent roofs. Have to figure out a way to make the grass work even if it means replacing it a couple of times during the year.

AZ and LV the structure of the stadium was designed to allow the field to be rolled out. But they also had the land to do that. You’d have to cut the field up in order to remove it for domed stadiums to sit on top of a hard surface. Maybe use something very similar to AZ and LV use for the field but have to cut it up into 20 sections in order to get it to the tunnels. Then it’s a safety issue with any seams when the field is reassembled. Maybe you need to put the field back together a certain number of days like a week before the next game to minimize any issues with seams.
It's not just the turf, it's the style of turf specifically used in Detroit, NY, New Orleans, Minnesota, Indy, and Cincinnati that is at issue.

There are certainly those who want all grass, but the NFLPA has focused on the style of turf ("slit cut") in those 6 stadiums as a partcular problem that demonstrably results in more injuries.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not really sure what you're asking here. They're 3 hours away by bus as is - I suspect by Saturday evening they'd be able to fly in if the storm acts the way it's been forecasted to. Again, the heavy snow is supposed to be done by Friday night/Saturday morning (the lake effect snow warning lifts at 1 AM Saturday - 36 hours before kickoff). It's about clearing roads and such, which I think is managable for upstate NY long before kickoff.

It's not just the turf, it's the style of turf specifically used in Detroit, NY, New Orleans, Minnesota, Indy, and Cincinnati that is at issue.

There are certainly those who want all grass, but the NFLPA has focused on the style of turf ("slit cut") in those 6 stadiums as a partcular problem that demonstrably results in more injuries.
I was wondering which city Cleveland could fly to to get as close to Buffalo as possible to avoid the snowfall. But it would still be a tough and dangerous trek to get there if there’s that much snow on the ground and they were to bus the rest of the way.

Those are the most pressing 6 stadiums to deal with. I remember that Alabama lost 2 WR on nfl turf stadiums. Mechie in Atl and Williamson in Indy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad