Pre-Game Talk: Week 11: Ranta(nen) Claus is coming to town. (@chi, ott, ari)

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
I'm still pissed it wasn't 16-3. That series against the Blues should have ended in 5 off the back of that epic MacK goal.
16-3 would have been nice, but Mack has also said that the game 5 lost to the Blues helped them deal with the game 5 lose to the Lightning in the finals. So who knows what would've happened in g6 if the Avs didn't have the experience of overcoming a heartbreaking lost when they were a bounce away from winning the game/series.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Do the Avs know?
I'm sure MacK and Nuke know. The rest of them though....
1000024930.gif

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
So as things stand today:

Pros:
  • The Avs have done a nice job gathering points against a soft schedule. There is a buffer for the stretch run.
  • Despite the issues, Avs are within earshot of the top of the West.
  • MacK and Nuke are playing very well. Yeah some moments haven't been great and Nuke took ~8 games to work off his summer, but both have been great.
  • Makar even at less than 100% is still amazing.
  • The Central looks incredibly weak.
  • Colton-Wood-LOC as a line fit the system very well
  • Olofsson as been all you can ask for out of a 4C
  • Manson has been passable to positive to 15-20 games now. Still not worth his contract, but playing at a top 4 level.
  • The callup guys have mostly been fine

Cons:
  • The 2nd line is atrocious. Drouin has been better of late, but he's always been streaky too... this could simply be a hot streak
  • Extending on the Ryjo is cooked. You might be able to get some use of him as a PP1 bumper guy, but he has been outright terrible. It would be very risky to think playoff RyJo still exists.
  • Goaltending has been really bad. George has been a bottom 5-10 starter. Prosvetov has been very erratic. Some fantastic games followed by real stinkers. George... what's killing him is the soft goals. His high danger and harder saves have been fine. He has just been letting in a bad goal with regularity.
  • Coaching... now before people jump on it, I get why Bednar is doing what he is... he's trying to win now. I think it is missing the longer-term view though. Overplaying top guys to struggle to get wins against bad teams may help today and get a few more points, but the long-term pain of that is just too great.
  • Byram... he's been objectively bad this year and wasn't good last year too. We are now as a trend point where he is showing more of a replacement level middle pairing D rather than a high end guy. He has more talent than that, he needs to show it.
  • Girard's issues... we don't know when he will be back, but as things stand now the team really misses his IQ and puck movement.
  • IQ as a whole. The Avs are not an especially smart team... they rely on a lot of guys who have some absurd physical traits. But even the smart guys are making huge mistakes. Some of it is laziness and some of it is just flat out stupidity. It is clear as day when you take out two actually smart players in G and Makar just how bad this team is at making a decision exiting the zone. It is horrific to watch this team galaxy brain their way around the ice. None of the forwards lines are smart, they guy by on ability. The defensive pairings last night, also not smart. Toews can be better in this area and shown more, so he stands out like a sore thumb... but JMFJ, Manson, and especially Byram are brain cramping their way around the ice.
Now I don't think any of this is unsolvable, but the Avs really have their work cut out for them. Dumb hockey with bad goaltending is going to be a way to spring golf. If the schedule and central weren't so weak, the Avs might be in some legit trouble. As of right now they have buffer, but it is going to start getting tested.

The motivation for Bednar’s allocation of time on ice may not be exclusively win now. It could be principled (ie Johansen hasn’t earned ice time) and if he relents and gives Johansen 20 minutes, maybe MacFarland isn’t even looking for 2Cs. If getting a proper 2C is integral to sparing lessening the workload of others, not giving Johansen minutes he’s not earning can easily be viewed as big picture thinking.

Reactions: Azrael89

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It looks like that blocked shot Mack took on the foot might be bothering him enough to keep him out during practices.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I don’t know anymore if I hate or love this f***en team…

I need an intervention

It's literally all been positive news this morning, what're you talking about?

Maintenance days mean nothing IMO. Mack had a maintenance day the other day and scored 4 goals. Lehkonen is continuing to skate, Girard is skating and healthy, and Cogs is back... Yes, you do need an intervention.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's literally all been positive news this morning, what're you talking about?

Maintenance days mean nothing IMO. Mack had a maintenance day the other day and scored 4 goals. Lehkonen is continuing to skate, Girard is skating and healthy, and Cogs is back... Yes, you do need an intervention.
I hate this f***en team….

Or do I love this f***en team?

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad