NFL GDT: Week 1

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hacket is so stupid he LITERALLY thought their last play on offense was a sack.

Really dude
It was a 9 yard check down to Williams for 9 yards
Who made a move to break a tackle otherwise if Coleman brings him down it’s 4th and like 12 and they have to go for it vs try a 71 yard FG.

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
At Denver's mile high altitude I might have gone for a 49 yarder, but 64 yards (the 2nd longest FG ever) at sea level? Nope!

You don't pay Russ a 1/4 $B for a 64 yard FGA. You pay him to get 5 yards on 4th down and 5. It's much easier and more probable than the 2nd longest FG ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just catching up on this via replays, etc. and I honestly can't imagine what the Broncos were thinking. Mike McCarthy, Anthony Lynn and Vic Fangio would salute this level of clock management. It's not all on coaching in my opinion, Wilson's a veteran QB with a Super Bowl ring, he damn well should know a TO is needed the moment the player is first down. They lost what, 30 freaking seconds?

Good for the Seahawks. They are going to lose a LOT of games this year and this one was a sweet one to have.
I wouldn't even have called timeout, I would have had a play run quickly on fourth and five...you had all three timeouts, if you didn't get it you STILL could have stopped them and gotten the ball back with another prayer of a shot. They basically picked the worst of all options...running the clock down 'and' using a timeout 'and' going for the hail mary FG without a net

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I wouldn't even have called timeout, I would have had a play run quickly on fourth and five...you had all three timeouts, if you didn't get it you STILL could have stopped them and gotten the ball back with another prayer of a shot. They basically picked the worst of all options...running the clock down 'and' using a timeout 'and' going for the hail mary FG without a net
Another possible option.

Basically, what they did is indefensible.

Reactions: Tryamw

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Allegedly the Seahawks offered the Browns Wilson for the first overall pick which became Mayfield, although it should have been Allen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Allegedly the Seahawks offered the Browns Wilson for the first overall pick which became Mayfield, although it should have been Allen.
The Hawks would have taken Allen.
The picks in the draft if Seattle wanted to net Allen were then:

Giants who still had Eli at the very end.
Colts who ultimately traded down and expected Luck to return but he didn’t.
Browns again via Houston and they took a CB in Ward.
Denver was next and took Chubb. They were 2 years into Paxton Lynch at the time.
Jets. Could they have made a play but they were horrible.
Buffalo trades up to TB to take Allen. TB had Winston nearing the end of his rookie deal.

So realistically, if Seattle was truly shopping Russ to land Allen, Denver could have pulled the trigger back in 2018. And Russ did not have a ntc at the time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
didn't realize just how high up some of russell's numbers are:

15th all time in touchdowns (more than montana, fouts, kelly and he's going to pass elway this year)
25th in yards, will likely be top 20 this season
10th in TD%

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
In the last 60 years 2 of 41 60+ FGs have been made. 5 yards for a 1st down? Slightly better odds. ;)

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
In the last 60 years 2 of 41 60+ FGs have been made. 5 yards for a 1st down? Slightly better odds. ;)
To be fair. Punters and kickers have taken a giant generational leap in performance in the last 5 years. Chances were you were still kicking a ~50 yarder to win. Is that 15 yards worth the chancing the turnover on downs? Yes, probably but I see where the thought process was.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
^ :rolleyes: Denver got 420 yards of offense, but Russ can't get 5? Teams convert that 48% of the time. There have been 2 60+ yard FGs in history which includes the current super kickers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
^ :rolleyes: Denver got 420 yards of offense, but Russ can't get 5? Teams convert that 48% of the time. There have been 2 60+ yard FGs in history which includes the current super kickers.
Odds were not going to be any worse. I mean they got the ball with 3 minutes and after 2 minutes got to the Seattle 46 and it’s 4th and 5. Wasn’t exactly a smooth 2 minute operation by Denver.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
So 50/50 chance of still having a long field goal. They had a 100% chance of a field goal they seen him make in practice. (Assuming the practice thing) 60 yards is the new 50 back in the 90’s. You see these trackers telling us good from 68+. He didn’t kick it short.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
That is incorrect, 2 makes from 64+, not 60+, there have been 10 from 61 or beyond since 2017, including Tucker from 66 last year

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
1663123683284.png

Reactions: snipes

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Hackett does know how to run an offense. He had the #6 offense with Blake Bortles who was not born to throw NFL passes.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
You know what he meant.

The Dallas fans on here are chill but don't lie to us and claim that there's not a significant toxicity factor amongst the Cowboys fanbase in a general sense, and due to the media attention and fanbase size that component gets amplified exponentially.
No I don't. Because I don't interact with the pro football crowd that much. Because I am a Cowboys fan in absentia. And will be so until Jerry Jones and his affect on the team leaves. So no, I'm not lying. But thanks for assuming that. And reacting accordingly, with very little information about the subject.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad