Post-Game Talk: Wed., Jan. 8, 2014| Canadiens 1 at Flyers 3

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Danny Briere 5 on 5 tonight...

6 Corsis for
16 Corsis against

... Yup, sounds about standard. Boy, do I not miss that guy.

MadFerIt95*

6 Corsis for
16 Corsis against

I miss Danny Briere only because he was one of my favorite players.... but he has really fallen off BIG TIME.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey

6 Corsis for
16 Corsis against

I liked when Coburn laid out Briere. Typical Coburn, going after the little guys.

Pretty good game aside from the lackadaisical power play that lead to the only goal against and the power play to begin the third period.

Meszaros, huh? Good for him.

I'm still really liking Raffl. Perhaps he's not an offensive dynamo, but he's a really smart player and does make nice plays offensively.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Fun stat: The Flyers have killed off 19 straight penalties.

The PK is definitely clicking and Coots always stands out to me.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I'm still really liking Raffl. Perhaps he's not an offensive dynamo, but he's a really smart player and does make nice plays offensively.
Raffl looks great. Right before he took the cross checking penalty, he saved an almost sure goal by lifting Gorges' stick on the odd man rush. He does make some mistakes, but when he does, he always makes up for it quickly. If there's one criticism, it's that he's almost too involved. He needs to set up and get open in front of the net in order to accept passes from Giroux or Voracek. He's looking like as good of a pick up as Matt Read was.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
not liking giving up the SHG lately but overall I really cant complain. You could nitpick and complain about the PP but its not going to be there every night.
good to see the team find a way to win without the top line being shutdown.
could catch a break again with the opposing goalies if Bishop is still out. going to be a tough game regardless.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I'm pumped by this turn around, could barely stand to watch our games earlier this season. Every single fundamental element of the game (especially passing, but aside from goal tending) looked like a foreign concept out there. I was sure a large chunk of the roster would be different post-deadline.

It's just sweet to actually look forward to Flyers games again.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
just amazed by both rinaldo and meszaros tonite!that horrid pp was only downer for me,tried to go globetrotters,hopefully berube can straighten that **** out!just my opinion but i feel that downie right now is an anchor,the way the rest of the team is starting to really play well an upgrade from downie would be huge.also would love to see subban knocked the **** out!!

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
This is going to sound weird, but it's good to see this team finding to ways to win games without completely exhausting themselves. Early in the season, it seemed like everyone had to put in a 110% effort just to get a close win. Whereas last night, not everyone looked all-in, but they easily cruised to two points. They're doing the little things right now, and it's really paying off.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The one criticism I have from last night was that they continue to turn the puck over in their own zone with regularity, even when not pressured. Those stretches where the Canadiens played keep-away in the Flyers zone were extended on several nonchalant attempts to clear the zone or when Flyers (in the plural) were spinning around with the puck in their skates. Against stronger opposition, those pucks tend to get fished out of the net shortly thereafter.

An improvement shown in last night's game was that, previously, a strong 1st period meant a so-so 2nd and a hold-on-for-your-life 3rd. The Flyers did very well to prevent dangerous rushes, which was the best part of their defensive game. They clogged up the neutral zone (cough *trap* cough) and tracked their assignments well. Stickwork was also very good in interrupting passing lanes.

Good to see, too, how the Canadiens have perfected the art of the slewfoot. As much of a pacifist as I am, I wouldn't have minded someone exacting some retribution on Eller for that dangerous play against Streit. The TSN announcers were all over Eller for this.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That second goal broke a lot of hearts out there. The team's three biggest whipping boys all getting on the stat sheet on one play! Some heads must have exploded.

In all seriousness, solid game last night. I was one of the many that counted this team out long ago. While I don't think they are serious contenders for the Cup, as we have seen in past years, all you have to do is make it in to have a shot.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This is going to sound weird, but it's good to see this team finding to ways to win games without completely exhausting themselves. Early in the season, it seemed like everyone had to put in a 110% effort just to get a close win. Whereas last night, not everyone looked all-in, but they easily cruised to two points. They're doing the little things right now, and it's really paying off.

The skating now looks like that of an NHL team... I am sure that has something to do with it. Guys like Schenn, Kimmo, Hartnell, Simmer and Jake, who looked to have lost a step near the start of the year look back to normal skating wise... and Simmer actually looks to be a better faster skater than ever. Impressively fast for a guy who looks to just run on ice half the time!

They all look like they know what they are doing now as well, at the start of the year it was obvious they had no clue where they needed to or should be on the ice.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Coatsey isn't bad. At the very least he doesn't sound like he's in love with himself. He just gets overexcited sometimes.

Never cared for Wheels. Steve is a stand up guy. My best friend and I weaseled our way into Ovations one night after a playoff game with Edmonton, and bumped into Steve with Tom Brookshier and the four of us talked for awhile. It was pretty cool. Wheels was a ***** and Sarge(who is a nice man) sucked. Time for some new blood. That being said. The way it was done was un-Phillies like.
But I guess 2.5 bill can make you do anything they want.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I kind of realized that the Flyers are probably a Top 10 or 5 team in the last 2-3 months or so.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I kind of realized that the Flyers are probably a Top 10 or 5 team in the last 2-3 months or so.

Over the last 36 games:

22-10-4 for 48 points at 0.667.

If they had been at 0.667 since the start of the year that would be 59 points now... so they would be 6th in the NHL in points and 8th in point %.

They would also be 2nd in the east in points and 3rd in point %.

Ofc that is not modifying the other teams we would have beaten over the first 8 games either. ;)

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Another good win. Up to the SH goal, they were excellent. Credit to Homer this year. It's easy to bash the guy, but he held firm, didn't do anything stupid, put his faith in the team and they're now repaying him.

Downie looks bad at the minute. That said, he's had a big part to play in the team's comeback this season. Ever since the Read-Couts-Downie line clicked, the team have gotten better and better. Long way to go yet, I worry a bit about how our D would cope with injuries, but looking good at the moment

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Fun stat: The Flyers have killed off 19 straight penalties.

The PK is definitely clicking and Coots always stands out to me.

I've actually been really impressed with the other forwards out there too. Hall, Raffl, Vandevelde, and even Rinaldo at points have played really well on the PK with Read out.

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs
I was at the game last nite, I thought the habs looked completely flat in the 1st period, like they were the ones who played the night before.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

And if they keep up this pace until the end of the year they will go ~23-11-4 for 100 points. Which is most likely 4th seed.

93 points would virtually guarantee playoffs, that would be 19-14-5.

89 points would have a pretty good (~75%) chance of playoffs, and would be 17-16-5 from now on.

Apparently when strength of schedule, play so far etc are factored in the Flyers most likely go 19-15-4 from now on... 92 points and a 98% chance of playoffs if they do.

They could go 17-17-4 and have a ~60% chance of playoffs with 88 points... and have a ~23% chance if they get 86 points and go 16-18-4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad