Post-Game Talk: Wed., Jan. 22, 2014| Hurricanes 3 at Flyers 2

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
do not like Mason's rebound control. too many rebounds left in scoring areas.
I do agree the defense has been terrible in their own zone of late.

His rebound control has been iffy for a while now

While I agree with both of you that the rebound control ain't pretty, as of late, the goals that are being scored (aside from the 3rd one last night) don't seem to be coming on big rebounds. Lots of screens, deflections, poor positioning, or just good goals. I mean, I'm sure it doesn't help, but I'm trying to think back during this last little rough patch here and I'm not recalling too many goals that came off of huge rebounds. No more than any other goalie, anyway.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I agree there are other reasons that this is very mediocre team but effort can be a reason for losing if it is a reference to not moving your feet, which there are a few members of the team that gets into that habit. If your aren't moving you feet, you are reaching for pucks, taking penalties, getting pucks stripped and shots blocked, and losing races to loose pucks. Having a crappy blueline is the main culprit, no debate but not moving your feet is a thing that can get you beat against harder working teams, like Columbus.

I get that, but saying there's a team-wide "lack of effort" or even an individual one implies that they're not trying and don't care at all. Not moving their feet is just more playing absent-minded and coaching. Has nothing to do with conscious effort really. A team-wide lack of foot speed is a GM problem since he put the team together.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What could Mason have done different on that third goal? Really asking, because I don't know. To me it was all on the defense. I think Coburn broke his stick and Voracek gave Coburn his. And then there were two Flyers down low (Coburn and Timonen) and three Canes down low. Mason makes the save and the rebound went right to an unchecked Tlusty who made a nice, quick move.

I couldn't find any of them to blame on him but the third goal & I wouldn't fully put it on him but he has to control his rebounds better.

Semin's goal was just a beauty of shot he picked the top corner on the far side. Gerbe made a nice move on the second one because he had all the time in the world to do so. Mason actually got a piece of it but it rolled up his shoulder.

He's been pretty average of late but I can't single him out for a reason as to why we lost that game last night. We just got outplayed for the most part & made stupid mistakes.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
On Semins goal Mez could be blamed as much as Mason. The gap control entering the zone was pathetic. He basically allowed Semin to get into prime scoring range(top of the circle) and use him as a screen. At least try and poke the puck away or even put your body out there on him. All he did was protect himself for a blocked shot, which hurt his goalies chance of seeing the puck. He has to force him to the outside or inside so his other defender can converge on him together.

This defense really needs a retooling. We have players who just flat out don't do what they are supposed to. Only defender who I know makes the right play more than 75% of the time is Kimmo, and he looks like he will be retiring at the end of the year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
On Semins goal Mez could be blamed as much as Mason. The gap control entering the zone was pathetic. He basically allowed Semin to get into prime scoring range(top of the circle) and use him as a screen. At least try and poke the puck away or even put your body out there on him. All he did was protect himself for a blocked shot, which hurt his goalies chance of seeing the puck. He has to force him to the outside or inside so his other defender can converge on him together.

If it was a Flyer taking that shot everybody would have been giving credit to the shooter. People were saying how good of a shot Read's goal the other day was but two things it didn't nearly have the zip on it as Semin's & Nilsson had Read in his sight line.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
It's also not a very good argument to blame Giroux when he provided all of the team's offense last night. You can't really expect much more out him than what you got last night. (Goal, nice assist, good on faceoffs, played with a nice physical edge) There's not a single player in the world that you'll approve of with your impossible standards.

This team is struggling because the defense in atrocious, and Mason isn't playing at a level to constantly bail them out anymore. Actually, the defense is playing even worse than it was last year around this time. All three goals against could have been much easier plays on Mason if the defense had done their jobs.
Mason made some great stops last night too. It's a unsustainable strategy to depend on a goalie to make all the tough stops. When he doesnt, he gets blamed around here for being bad. none of the goals were on him. goalies shouldn't give up softies, anything else is a bonus. The 5 guys in front of him get paid to do a job too.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
If Holmgren is back after this year or if Hextall is named GM, the priority this off season has to be fixing the defense. If it means parting with some of the offensive talent on the club, then so be it. Timonen practically has one foot out the door and the other on the threshold, Coburn is too stupid to be counted on to provide consistent play game in and game out, Grossmann is perhaps the best defender on the defensive side but his offensive game is non-existent, and Schenn and Gustafsson will never get a break under Berube. Might as well gut and cut and start from fresh with regards to the D.
there is no real fixing that can be done. The truth is, we will probably be in a working rebuild for 3 more years at least. we don't have the assets to "fix" anything without creating other serious holes.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If it was a Flyer taking that shot everybody would have been giving credit to the shooter. People were saying how good of a shot Read's goal the other day was but two things it didn't nearly have the zip on it as Semin's & Nilsson had Read in his sight line.

I would have been laughing at the defender for allowing a goal straight out of NHL 14.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Obviously it's not going to fix the entire defense but obviously if you can improve it, even a little, you ****ing do it. Gus is absolutely an upgrade over Mez. On top of that, Schenn has clearly played better when paired with Gus. Mez having a tiny offensive spurt is not enough to justify keeping him in the lineup, and if you think that its even semi sustainable then you need to get your head checked.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Obviously it's not going to fix the entire defense but obviously if you can improve it, even a little, you ****ing do it. Gus is absolutely an upgrade over Mez. On top of that, Schenn has clearly played better when paired with Gus. Mez having a tiny offensive spurt is not enough to justify keeping him in the lineup, and if you think that its even semi sustainable then you need to get your head checked.

I'm not a Mez fan at all... i'm not a fan of anyone on this D. I'm just not saying were all of a sudden going to win games with Gus in the lineup. Our collective defense is terrible, our forwards aren't all committed to a two-way game, and our goaltending has been playing below average.

Seems like a recipe for mediocre team.

Does Gus deserve to play? Absolutely.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
no one is going to suggest that Gus is a game changer. But given how bad this team has looked defensively would it hurt to stick him in there?
At the very least you know hes going to be able to skate. Cant say the same thing about some of the other defenseman.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
no one is going to suggest that Gus is a game changer. But given how bad this team has looked defensively would it hurt to stick him in there?
At the very least you know hes going to be able to skate. Cant say the same thing about some of the other defenseman.

yup

I'm not a Mez fan at all... i'm not a fan of anyone on this D. I'm just not saying were all of a sudden going to win games with Gus in the lineup. Our collective defense is terrible, our forwards aren't all committed to a two-way game, and our goaltending has been playing below average.

Seems like a recipe for mediocre team.

Does Gus deserve to play? Absolutely.

and yup.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah I don't get the Gus crush.....

It's kind of sad he is our only NHL fringe D prospect.....

Again and again and again and again, it's not that people think Gus is amazing or that he's the answer to our prayers. It's that we believe he's a better option than one or two of our current defensemen and if it's possible to make an improvement, no matter how small, there's no reason not to do it.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Again and again and again and again, it's not that people think Gus is amazing or that he's the answer to our prayers. It's that we believe he's a better option than one or two of our current defensemen and if it's possible to make an improvement, no matter how small, there's no reason not to do it.

Hell, I can bet that later in the season that MAB would be a better solution than Mez as well.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
On this post I have heard about every player trashed. Are you guys forgetting the 6 game road trip that gave us all fantasies of a deep playoff run? The guys played great, passing was crisp, goaltending was great. What happened? Theories abound. here's mine. Berube is a rookie coach and not a very good one. This team has slipped into the same old pattern as last year. Why, because he was part of the problem last year and still is this year. Simple, we keep trying to polish a raw coach. We promote Stevens when he wasn't groomed and we did the same with Berube. The Flyers need an experienced coach that is already groomed for the NHL. We should have gone outside for an experienced coach. Berube just isn't ready.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
On this post I have heard about every player trashed. Are you guys forgetting the 6 game road trip that gave us all fantasies of a deep playoff run? The guys played great, passing was crisp, goaltending was great. What happened? Theories abound. here's mine. Berube is a rookie coach and not a very good one. This team has slipped into the same old pattern as last year. Why, because he was part of the problem last year and still is this year. Simple, we keep trying to polish a raw coach. We promote Stevens when he wasn't groomed and we did the same with Berube. The Flyers need an experienced coach that is already groomed for the NHL. We should have gone outside for an experienced coach. Berube just isn't ready.

Mediocre team is mediocre, some times they play above it & some times they play below it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad