Post-Game Talk: Wed., Dec. 11, 2013|Flyers 2 at Blackhawks 7

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I dont think anyone is going to be tradeing for Vinny, streit, or schenn's contract

As for Bobby Ryan , we need to get his him when he is ufa.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Also, none of us had hope going into this, but what the **** do any of us expect when we have Rinaldo, Rosehill, Meszaros, and Emery all playing at once?

Holmgren likes this team man. Holmgren likes this team.
Once again this is a flawed team. not sure how anyone can honestly say they like this team. slow up front and even slower on the backend.
This is not a good hockey club.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Not good enough to win the cup, not bad enough to get a great prospect in the draft... why can't we have nice things?

As far as the NHL goes that's kind of the NHL's no man's land. Just good enough to not do anything either way. Hope it's not like that for too long because teams that keep competing when they can't end up like Calgary or (to a lesser extent than Calgary) the Rangers for instance.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Meszaros on that second goal against might have displayed the worst defensive play I have ever seen in my life. Enjoy the KHL next year.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Those thinking that Bobby Ryan would turn this around are ****ing morons!

This Flyers team is flawed in so many positions.... Mason plus 2 capable defenseman in their prime at best, a solid 3rd line plus Adam Hall as the 4th line center and Giroux lost out in the woods but with the potential to bounce back next year. That's the core and it ain't much.

The rest ist just overrated garbage... a big steaming dookie!

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
The only good thing about this team that I can think of is "at least we have our first round pick next year"! :help:

Don't worry, they'll win at the end again just to make the pick worse (although they likely would have taken Morin as high as 5).

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Tampa fans said Vinny can't stay healthy. Isles fans said Streit sucked.

Same Isles fans now miss him dearly:laugh:. And no Tampa fan wanted Vinny to go. He was a victim of his contract

Well, that was embarrassing. I feel like this is what a lot of games would look like if Mason wasn't there to bail them out.

I just remember the talk about our tandem before the season:laugh:

(Nothing to do with you)

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The worst thing about this team is the lack of effort. Voracek stops the short handed goal if he continues to move his feet. It wasn't the first time he's done that this season and Giroux! the captain! has also been guilty a watching a stoppable play result in a goal because he was gliding back on defense. Something is wrong in the lockerroom that these guys still can't put together 60 minutes of effort. I am not sure I have seen them put together 40 minutes of effort this year. No hustle and no talent is not a way to win in the NHL.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I hate when people comment on leadership. Like any of us know who the **** is a good leader and who isn't. Leadership refers to a player's ability to motivate a team and lead the charge. Thing is though this is a team game with 20 or so man rosters so no one player is going to change how a team performs regardless of a stitched on letter on their jersey.

None of us are in the lockerroom or know Giroux personally. None of us have the right to comment on his leadership even though some feel like they do. All I know is that he's our best natural scorer and still manages to put up respectable offensive numbers over the course of any given season as well as the fact that I've never heard one player or staff member or even vague source claim that Giroux is a cancer or a bad leader. Saying otherwise is pure speculation and just bias plain and simple.

I'm tired of the ****ing leadership criticism. It's the same crap that Richards and Carter got and they seem to do perfectly damn well elsewhere. They've both even won a Cup on the same team since leaving. Giroux giving motivational speeches or defying the crap play of the likes of Hartnell to put up even a PPG isn't going to change how weak our top six is, the baffling lineup decisions by the coach, or the mistakes the GM has made.

**** annoys me.

Very well put, none of us as fans have any idea of Giroux's leadership skills, I'm sure from an outside looking in perspective all of us would make the best decisions, that would save tons of money, sign the right guys, and make the Flyers a cup finalist every year, I'm sure we all would, but I have this weird feeling the guys calling the shots, coaches and staff have a better idea of who Claude Giroux is and his leadership skill set looks like waaaaayyy more than myself or anyone else on these boards, I am of the brand that never wants to trade Giroux, he is a beast, he is talented and a wizard with the puck, there has been way too much instability on this team in the last 4 years, and his wingers couldn't finish wood if they had to, either Chief's system will take hold with more time, or a smarter more handsome GM will actually get the players needed to play said system(looking at you Mr. Hextall) and not waste money on glorified 3rd line wingers, playing on the top line

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just to be clear, people see nothing has changed despite firing the coach, correct?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I have to also say that I'm losing faith in Berube. He seems to be the type of guy that's a pretty good assistant coach, but not one that's cut out to be a head coach. He's done far better than Lavy with the X's and O's, and establishing a semi-competent defensive structure, but his in-game adjustments and roster decisions are just terrible.

Other than that, most of the personnel on this team is either playing well below expectations, or they were overrated from the start. You choose.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Just to be clear, people see nothing has changed despite firing the coach, correct?

I do see a change in 5v5 play and in our own zone for the most part for sure, but in the offensive zone we are too cute. too many passes when shots should be taken. I think this whole team needs therapy, minus Mason.

Lavy leaving I think has affected the team more than they'd like to admit.

They don't look like they are playing the game, the game looks to be playing them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A lot has changed, but the overall talent level is still mediocre, especially on defense.

Nothing has changed. The same people who were underachieving last year, still are underachieving. The system everyone says is different, really isn't.

Like, remember that one time when Wayne Simmonds was out-pointing Mike Richards by himself.

Yup. This is on the players and by extension, the GM.

It is on the GM for not having good enough players. You can't keep going back and forth between the coach and players 20 times before it's not either one anymore. The players can't help that they're not as good as people think they are. At some point, you're not 'supposed to be better,' you are who you are.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I dont think anyone is going to be tradeing for Vinny, streit, or schenn's contract

As for Bobby Ryan , we need to get his him when he is ufa.

If we were able to get him now I would much prefer that. I don't want to have to watch another year and a half of hartnell playing on girouxs line.

Ryan-g-Voracek
Schenn-couturier-read
Hartnell-lecavalier-Downie.

Edit: do I think that instantly make us a contender? No I do not, but it solves one of our two most glaring needs which is a step in the right direction.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nothing has changed.

Tell that to Couturier who is doing much better than last year, and to Giroux and Voracek who were PPG players last season.

If you can't tell the obvious differences in team defense and breakouts since the coaching change maybe try following a simpler sport.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It is on the GM for not having good enough players. You can't keep going back and forth between the coach and players 20 times before it's not either one anymore. The players can't help that they're not as good as people think they are. At some point, you're not 'supposed to be better,' you are who you are.

Agreed but effort is on the players. Not hustling back like Voracek did on the short handed goal last night is on Voracek. He did the same thing, Giroux too, on a short handed two on one a few games ago that ended in a goal. Handzus outskating Voracek has nothing to do with the GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad