Speculation: Weber out 5-6 months... what's next?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As a Sabres fan, I want nothing to do with Weber's contract.

That deal has the Sabres taking on cap this season and for 6 seasons beyond when Bogosian's contract expires.

With Dahlin and Middlestadt coming off their ELCs over the next few years, the Sabres will need that cap space that will come from contracts like Moulson, Pominville, and Bogosian expiring to allow them to pay the kids.

Agreed, there is no reason for Buffalo to make that deal.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Weber 50% to anyone who will take that awful contract

Price 50% to anyone who will take that awful contract

Prepare to be competitive in approx. 4 seasons, have those massive retentions come off the books in 8.

Horrible time to be a Habs fan.
Ah its great to be kicked while we're down by Leafs fans and stupid comments like this.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
That subban for Weber trade looks real bad for the Canadians.

They just need to trade older assets but players that still have value for a c+ package back. Leave some maturity in the locker room to guide the younger players and see what happens from there

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A) Bergevin lets all the youth (though minimal on D) jump in and get minutes and grow.
B) Bergevin acquires a guy like Orpik to "attempt" to fill the void.
C) Bergevin commits to full rebuild and sees this as opportunity to sell of the other high priced assets.
D) Some combination of the above.

Personally, I think he'll go with A and B.
I think he will go with what he got. I have a feeling Habs may make a full court press for Jack Hughes this season. If Price starts bad could see a quick house cleaning

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
That subban for Weber trade looks real bad for the Canadians.

They just need to trade older assets but players that still have value for a c+ package back. Leave some maturity in the locker room to guide the younger players and see what happens from there

Seems like everything bergevin does is bad. The team is a mess and now are stuck with an aging Weber

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Waivers? How many offers did Markov get from other teams before leaving for the KHL?

I think bringing him back is/was a bad idea.

He was his own agent and refused to negotiate with any other team.

But sure, believe that even if he was open to negotiations, 30 teams said no to a 30 point veteran defenceman still averaging 20+ minutes per game.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
He was his own agent and refused to negotiate with any other team.

But sure, believe that even if he was open to negotiations, 30 teams said no to a 30 point veteran defenceman still averaging 20+ minutes per game.
Habs would still have missed the playoffs or 1st round exit. Nice.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Habs would still have missed the playoffs or 1st round exit. Nice.

Of course they would. The problem wasn't losing Markov. The problem was (among many things) that with Markov earlier they needed a 2LD. Then he got older and they needed a 1LD to fill his role while he took less minutes a game. Then he was gone and they had a huge hole on the LD.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Of course they would. The problem wasn't losing Markov. The problem was (among many things) that with Markov earlier they needed a 2LD. Then he got older and they needed a 1LD to fill his role while he took less minutes a game. Then he was gone and they had a huge hole on the LD.
Plus expansion.

I still think it was time for him to leave.

Habs weren’t going anywhere without adding 2 top 6 centers, so MB should have traded his ass for a pick.

But niw, lets not go back and let the kids fight it out.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If I'm MB, I sign or PTO a guy like Orpik, and let him fight it out with youth. You give as much of the youth as many chances as possible in training camp and in the first 9 games to get that crucial development experience, and then unless they absolutely blow you away, you send them down and play Orpik, etc., and go for the tank.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If I'm MB, I sign or PTO a guy like Orpik, and let him fight it out with youth. You give as much of the youth as many chances as possible in training camp and in the first 9 games to get that crucial development experience, and then unless they absolutely blow you away, you send them down and play Orpik, etc., and go for the tank.
Montreal has Alzner, Reilly, Schlemko, Benn, Mete and Ouellete as LD but Petry, Juulsen and Lernout as RD. Would Bieksa take a one year deal to play in Montreal on a bottom 5 team?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What's next is he retires and Nashville gets stuck with a giant cap recapture.

I don't think he will retire he's a warrior. Still has not got a sniff at the Cup. I see him retiring in either a Hawks or Canucks jersey.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Montreal has Alzner, Reilly, Schlemko, Benn, Mete and Ouellete as LD but Petry, Juulsen and Lernout as RD. Would Bieksa take a one year deal to play in Montreal on a bottom 5 team?

If no one else offered him a contract.

I don't mind Petry, Juulsen as top 4 RHD. Lernout, Benn and Ouellet battle for bottom pairing RD.

Mete, Alzner, Reilly, Schlemko are your LD though and that's a lot fill, not much thrill.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Price can ask to be moved, but he's sort of priced himself out of the trade market. I can't see any good teams willing and able to take on his long $10.5M AAV contract.

Vancouver
Seattle
Edmonton
Arizona
Ny Isles

All come to mind.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
People need to actually look at the details of Weber's contract before calling it an albatross. His actual pay is already way down to 6M for the next 4 years then he probably retires. No chance he sticks around playing for a million in the final years. It's not a big deal if he stays in a mentor role for the Habs, especially when they don't need the cap space.

The Price contract on the other hand, it's so bad I would deal that for Loui Eriksson straight up.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Price can ask to be moved, but he's sort of priced himself out of the trade market. I can't see any good teams willing and able to take on his long $10.5M AAV contract.
That eight year deal finally kicks in this season doesn't it? The Habs have to hope Carey maintains his form until he's nearly forty. It could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad