Friedman: Weber could be traded to a team looking to hit the salary floor

Jul 6, 2016
According to Steve Dangle, Montreal and Arizona had a Weber trade agreed upon, but NHL nixed it because of the potential for bad "PR". :rolleyes:

Yet somehow Datsyuk, Hossa contracts were perfectly ok.

Also, before last night's Sens game, it was reported that Ottawa was close to sending Colin White to Montreal, but Habs decided against it at last moment. My guess is there was something around White for Weber. I can see how that works for ole cheapo Melnyk.

During their TD press conference, Hughes said they came extremely close to trading Weber, multiple teams were interested, and they will revisit things post-season.
If it is really the case, we know that Bettman hates Canadian based teams, and Habs, the most. He was so pissed off that Canadiens reached the SC Finals last season that he did not even thank them is the last post game speech before handing the Cup to TB.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
But speaking of that. Lucic next year will have a 5.25M cap hit but only owed 0.825M after his signing bonus is paid (as a result of retained transaction). He's nearing a perfect fourth liner and has 10 goals already. If (big if) he waived his NTC or did not have Arizona on it, would Arizona be willing to give up anything for him?

Lucic + Calgary 2024 3rd round pick works for me.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
no

each team has a 7.5% buffer for performance bonuses and LTIR stuff. Amount Exceeding this 7.5% rolls over to the next year. 7.5% of cap is a little over $6M

You're misunderstanding.

The 7.5% buffer allows the team to temporarily exceed the cap by up to 7.5% due to performance bonuses. At the end of the season that buffer disappears and the actual earned performance bonuses are tallied up. If those bonuses cause the team to be over the salary cap then the overage rolls over as dead cap space for the next season.

Teams using LTIR are by definition over the salary cap. So every single $ of earned Performance Bonuses will automatically be carried as dead cap space the next season.

Reactions: CDN24

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
According to Steve Dangle, Montreal and Arizona had a Weber trade agreed upon, but NHL nixed it because of the potential for bad "PR". :rolleyes:

Also, before last night's Sens game, it was reported that Ottawa was close to sending Colin White to Montreal, but Habs decided against it at last moment. My guess is there was something around White for Weber. I can see how that works for ole cheapo Melnyk.

During their TD press conference, Hughes said they came extremely close to trading Weber, multiple teams were interested, and they will revisit things post-season.
Nothing surprises me about a league office that has it's tongue firmly planted in the taint of Jeremy Jacobs.

I am having a hard time seeing the rationale behind acquiring Colin White. He's a Boston kid, so Hughes and Gorton will be familiar with him, but he's not living up to his contract. Maybe they see taking on that contract as greater return than anything they might get from, or have to give to, Arizona to move Shea. I don't.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

There is a bit of a difference, one you have a team actively clearly circumventing the cap, by going for a retired player with a giant cap hit relative to is salary to stay above the floor, which go "clearly" against the rules (that still have I presume include a close of the in no way a team can participate in cap circumvention, even in ways we have yet thought off)

The others (like Weber retiring but not actually doing the retirement) are letting the statue quo, because everyone directly involved is winning by no one doing nothing.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
There is a bit of a difference, one you have a team actively clearly circumventing the cap, by going for a retired player with a giant cap hit relative to is salary to stay above the floor, which go "clearly" against the rules (that still have I presume include a close of the in no way a team can participate in cap circumvention, even in ways we have yet thought off)

The others (like Weber retiring but not actually doing the retirement) are letting the statue quo, because everyone directly involved is winning by no one doing nothing.
Well, yeah, Arizona is probably going to try to collect as many of these contracts as possible, so they reach the cap floor, but are paying significantly less in salary. But, this should not be news to anyone as Arizona is playing in a 3500 seat facility starting next year.

Also, Buffalo already did the same thing this year. They were worried about falling below cap floor after Eichel trade and traded for Boychuk to stay above floor. They used a LTIRetired contract for that purpose and NHL allowed it.

NHL has consistently allowed this crap to go on not only for those teams that are using LTIR contracts to reach floor, but also to use the Kucherov plan to go above cap.

All of the sudden, they give a shit?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
All of the sudden, they give a shit?
Yeah if there is any truth to this, it would be that Weber is one of the biggest and "controversial" contract in history going to a team with scrutiny / league responsability so it would have brought more media talk, because your Boychuck example seem to be the exact same (or Lou having more leaway with the league)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4