Wearing Chest/Shoulder Protection

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Like I said, I'm sorry if my choice of words is too harsh for your liking. I'll precede an acrid post with the word "earmuffs" beforehand.

It'll be your safe word :sarcasm:

Or you could just stop being obnoxious and understand that not everyone likes what you like.

But no, that earmuff thing is way too funny. By all means, keep saying it.

I'm going to stop now because this is getting stupid.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
I know plenty of kids who play Midget AAA and AA right now and to be honest I don't see how it has. The reason 5030's aren't prevalent is because kids like the expensive stuff for bragging rights with their teammates.

Or they just don't like them...?:dunno:

I've tried the 5030's and don't care for the fit at all.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yah, if you lift weights and your arms, shoulders and back are built up 5030's are fine (I wear them, lol). The problem in hockey is you get guys with pencil arms and they just show up and play and those are the guys that get hurt. When you're skin and bones you need more protection. And this aiyeare guy is arguing the complete opposite in another thread about people buying stuff they don't need. Which is it? According to him people are supposed to have specific gear that he feels is best for them and we don't live in a free market. He's a hockey equipment communist.

It's called a joke lol, I thought enough common sense would expose that.

Okay, so you're calling me a commie now because of the flag? You know what? That's cool.

My posts speak for themselves about me, as do yours about you. I deal in facts, you apparently deal in judgmental assumptions.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
CA

Okay, so you're calling me a commie now because of the flag? You know what? That's cool.

My posts speak for themselves about me, as do yours about you. I deal in facts, you apparently deal in judgmental assumptions.

The flag has nothing to do with it. You seem to be fixated on what people need to be wearing based on your opinions. As though there is a standard set of equipment for each of us based on skill alone. That's not the world we live in. People buy whatever the hell they want, if they want to waste money they are free to do so. If they want to do research and figure out what's best for them and ask for help in their pro shop they can (which is where we agree is the right choice). I know if I owned a shop and I found out you were steering some guy to a cheaper skate because he didn't need an $800 skate and had cash in hand I'd fire you.

donkers*

I'd have to be homeless for 4/5ths of the month to afford those $800 skates :(

Jarick

Doing Nothing
For the record, the vast majority of sales managers I've had did not believe in overselling the customer. Great practice if you don't care about repeat business or word of mouth.

Not sure about the margins on skates, but my guess is you might make as much or more profit selling a pair of $500 skates with $100 worth of labor and accessories than a pair of $800 skates.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The flag has nothing to do with it. You seem to be fixated on what people need to be wearing based on your opinions. As though there is a standard set of equipment for each of us based on skill alone. That's not the world we live in. People buy whatever the hell they want, if they want to waste money they are free to do so. If they want to do research and figure out what's best for them and ask for help in their pro shop they can (which is where we agree is the right choice). I know if I owned a shop and I found out you were steering some guy to a cheaper skate because he didn't need an $800 skate and had cash in hand I'd fire you.

Yes sir, beer leaguers don't need top-end anything and house league players don't need top-end anything. If they want to buy them and tell me so, why would I deny that? I'll explain that for their playing level, that amount of skate/stick/protection is not a necessity and if they understand that but want it, then I'll take their money. I never said no beer leaguer should have top-end anything...

I sell what the customers need and if they want something else, that's absolutely fine. My job is to show and explain the reasons why, so simply put, I don't need you to tell me how to do my job because if you were my manager, I'd quit and work for someone else with more integrity :laugh:

Jul 31, 2005
CA

I have no way to know you're joking. And I'm American so I have no idea what flag that is nor will I look it up, LOL (that means I'm joking-or am I). I agree with you 100% though that people need to use the right equipment. The problem is there is a huge disconnect between the consumers and the stores. Some people walk into stores and don't have help or don't want help and just buy that they want. How do you know if you like 5030's unless you wear them? I love them but I was using Farrell's before and wanted to get a little lighter and have never had any problems with getting hit with pucks up high or getting hurt in my upper body. I'll actually ask guys who are less skilled how they decide on what equipment to buy since they basically go in blind, it's pretty interesting. They'll buy sticks with different curves or flexes and have no idea what the difference is and I think that goes for most of their equipment. Hockey has to be be the only sport where the majority of rec league players are using equipment not designed for them. And the only way to find out is to buy it and use it where I live.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If they don't get reasonable assistance, most people will go in blind. Especially in areas without a lot of shops competing with each other or without a lot of shops period. Staff in the process of selling gear should naturally educate the customer on what it is they should fit in and not just grab 'x', 'y' and 'z' skate at $$ price/size and tell them to try them on. The responsibility of educating consumers fall on staff and to a lesser extent, manufacturers. The responsibility of educating staff falls on management. But I digress

Jul 31, 2005
CA
If they don't get reasonable assistance, most people will go in blind. Especially in areas without a lot of shops competing with each other or without a lot of shops period. Staff in the process of selling gear should naturally educate the customer on what it is they should fit in and not just grab 'x', 'y' and 'z' skate at $$ price/size and tell them to try them on. The responsibility of educating consumers fall on staff and to a lesser extent, manufacturers. The responsibility of educating staff falls on management. But I digress

Then there aren't guys like you out here then. And with online sales I have to think it's a pretty big problem of players using the wrong equipment.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
There's an interesting point in there.

Lots of rec players ARE using the wrong equipment, in terms of skates or sticks especially. And a lot of us guys don't like taking advice or admitting we don't know what we want or need.

Back when I first started as an adult, I bought a clearance Vapor XX 87 flex. Had no clue it was going to be way too stiff. Cut it down a couple inches (up to my eyebrows in bare feet). Had terrible elbow pain after a few weeks.

It was visiting websites and forums where I learned it was probably way too stiff, and I dropped down to a whippy flex. Never had elbow pain since.

If I was too proud, I'd just have played through the pain, maybe assumed I need to get stronger, or my technique was bad (which it was and still is...but I digress).

If I were running a shop, I wouldn't call it unsolicited advice from a salesman. I'd offer a free stick fitting consultation, or whatever you want to call it. I'd probably have a shooting range in the shop with some tester sticks, a lot like BASE, but without the slow mo cameras.

It's like getting your skate profiling and assessment, except probably easier and more accurate.

It'd take 10 minutes to go through the Q&A (what are you using now, could you bring your stick in, what kind of shots do you take, what's your height/weight, are you having any problems), and then you can sell them on your products and services. And you'd have some damn loyal customers who think you know what you're doing.

As it is, most sales guys seem to be glorified stock boys. There's a lot of opportunity there.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
My first shoulders were Mission M-2 pads:

They don't look like much, but holy crap they made me feel 20 degrees hotter on the ice. I was dying. They also rotated with my shoulders so they were constantly riding up and limited my movement. Plus the caps came off the shoulders a good bit so they looked goofy under the jersey.

I was totally going to snag a pair of these on the cheap back in '06 but decided to spend the money on a pair of newly rebranded RBK/Jofas instead...

Fast forward to present day and I have made a frankenpad using the shoulder caps from said RBK/Jofa pads and the chest protector from the new CCM 1899 pads. I use this setup for stick and puck as well or friendly pick up games. However, I'm all business in league games and wear CCM U+ 09 pads due to my history with shoulder injuries.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
I wore these back in midgets:

12-1465.jpg

I hated them so much. So, so much. Felt like I was lining up at nose tackle instead of right wing.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Then there aren't guys like you out here then. And with online sales I have to think it's a pretty big problem of players using the wrong equipment.

Wrong equipment. Strange term. Except for using the wrong stick flex, I can't think of anything that's right or wrong for anyone. Just what they choose to wear/use.

I've never understood why anyone cares what someone else uses. Honestly, I never even notice what other players are wearing. I couldn't even tell you what sticks or skates my line mates use. Couldn't care less.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
I wore these back in midgets:

12-1465.jpg

I hated them so much. So, so much. Felt like I was lining up at nose tackle instead of right wing.

Easton shoulders are THE worst when it comes to mobility. At least they were prior to 2 years ago; honestly haven't tried them on recently, so don't know if their designs have changed.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I've been wearing these shoulder pads since I was in highschool with no complaints:

472e640190a6041724c72fb63c4d.jpg

Well, the straps are pretty stretched out now, but that's to be expected when you've had them for nearly a decade.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Wrong equipment. Strange term. Except for using the wrong stick flex, I can't think of anything that's right or wrong for anyone. Just what they choose to wear/use.

I've never understood why anyone cares what someone else uses. Honestly, I never even notice what other players are wearing. I couldn't even tell you what sticks or skates my line mates use. Couldn't care less.

Not talking about looks at all. I'm talking about people who buy sticks but don't know anything about flex or curves or buying skates that are supposed to be for elite skaters and they look like they are going to break their ankles as a result. I'm referring more to wrong sizes, wrong brands (blisters, feet problems) simply because they either didn't get the right help at a hockey shop, didn't ask for help or were being a stubborn man and didn't want the right help.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yes I just got them last week and used them last night. They actually feel like they trap a lot less heat than my 4k shoulders. I had the 5030's for two years and I can't remember if there was a difference. I'd definitely spring 9950 because it has nylon instead of cotton, and the cotton turns yellow with sweat. Also, it's stitched together instead of laced, and those laces kept coming untied (even with double knots) in the middle of games. Way worth the $5 difference. Actually would be worth $15 IMO.

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
Do the lowest level leagues in US/Canada have rules requiring players to use full gears?

I used to play full contact, but now i'm back in asia and the asian competitions are mostly no-contacts.. I don't see why we are required to wear shoulder pads...

it'd be nice if i can drop my shoulder pads, i know we play on the ice but my country is still hot!

HolyRollie

Apr 10, 2011
Boston, MA
Depends what you are playing. I don't wear them when I am playing shinny with a good group of guys that have played the game at a decent level. I find they know not to fire shots high or play physical, but when I don't know who I'm playing with in shinny, always wear it. Lots of idiots and careless people.

Same here. Still keep my eyes on a couple of the idiots in the league just in case. I played with a nice set of Easton shoulders in high school and juniors when I needed the protection...now I usually don't wear them. [Knocks on wood]

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I know alot of guys don't wear them, but this may change a few minds...

4 weeks ago at full speed and about 10-15 feet from the end boards myself and their dman got tangled up going for the puck and both lost our footing. I hit the boards at full speed with him right behind driving me in. Snap...broken right collarbone and out 12 weeks, missed work etc. I was wearing Bauer one40's with the caps removed so basically nothing. This was a non contact mens league game.

Some guys can get away without them. I'll never play without a good pair again. I think it depends on several factors.

1) How hard do you play? A bit reckless, dive for pucks, always engaged in contact even in a no check league, etc.

2) Speed. The faster you are the higher the impact if something goes wrong, tripped, lose edge, goalie poke check etc.

3) Build. The bigger/heavier guys have 2 things that make them less prone to injury. They are usually going slower and have more muscle and/or fat cushioning the impact. I'm 6'2" 175 and i feel everything.

If you have played for years without them with no consequence your probably ok. I'm not built like a brick shthouse, play way harder than i should, and have too much speed to not wear a decent shoulder pad.

Reebok 7k's even in pickup from now on.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
If I were running a shop, I wouldn't call it unsolicited advice from a salesman. I'd offer a free stick fitting consultation, or whatever you want to call it. I'd probably have a shooting range in the shop with some tester sticks, a lot like BASE, but without the slow mo cameras.

It's like getting your skate profiling and assessment, except probably easier and more accurate.

It'd take 10 minutes to go through the Q&A (what are you using now, could you bring your stick in, what kind of shots do you take, what's your height/weight, are you having any problems), and then you can sell them on your products and services. And you'd have some damn loyal customers who think you know what you're doing.

I only recently started playing and I really appreciated the help the guy at the local shop gave me. I told him I wanted the beginners kit and he helped me choose the things that were right for me - what fit best, etc. It's mostly the lower-end stuff but even with that, I was given options and steered towards what he thought would work better for me. The first pants I tried fit kind of weird in the front, so he came up with something that was a little different, and that I like.

He also helped with the skates. I told him my issues (left foot turns in a bit on the ice, wide feet cause troubles sometimes) and he helped me find the right skate for my situation.

The only thing that I ended up having to replace is my stick - I got a basic wood stick that ended up being too long, too stiff, and it turns out I wanted a blade with a little more curve to it. But I didn't know that until AFTER I'd been skating for a bit, so I didn't really mind. He chose the cheapest, most basic stick for me to start with, so I didn't feel too bad when I only used it for 6 weeks before moving up. I would have been kind of upset if he had sold me an $80 stick and then I had to replace it, but a $25 stick, no biggie.

I'll admit, I was COMPLETELY clueless when I went in there the first time. It was nice to have them help with what I needed and not feel that they were upselling or taking advantage of me. I've been back several times since, and I'll keep returning due to the service.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
A lot of guys in beer leagues don't even wear them. I wear them for the added protection. There are plenty of lighter options though. There's t-shirts with foam pads sewn into them (I think it's technically lacrosse gear).

A bit on the pricey side but I love my Farrell shoulder pads. They're very light, they breathe easy, and they're not confining at all. They also do a hell of a job sucking out the energy of an impact. I had my brother cross checking me hard in the back and aside from being pushed forward, I didn't really feel anything.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
A really good option for people who want some decent protection on the shoulders and the chest/back but really want something low profile and easy to move is to buy the CCM UPro's and cut off the pads that cover your Traps. The UPros have the shoulder caps integrated into the arm pieces and that one piece design makes the caps stay very close to the body. They also have really solid chest and shoulder protection, and the Trap part that you cut off is really unnecessary for rec league.

Challenge is I think they discontinued this model this year and they're getting hard to find.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad