Wearing Chest/Shoulder Protection

donkers*

Word. I'm the same way except that I don't run my own business :p. I like being well protected. Knew a guy that lost a couple teeth at a damn drop-in, no joke. Some dingbat was talking about it later and said "well, teeth are only $1000 to replace or so and insurance will cover most of it." Yeah... that or you could just wear a ****ing cage and not have to worry about it at all. You never know what can happen. What some people do in the name of "being tough" is just stupid. Overcompensating.

Do your guys' rink make you sign up for USAH? Doesn't that $40 qualify you for some sort of insurance? Someone told me that he got dental work paid for because of that.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I was kind of hoping Warrior was jumping on the Sherwood/Bauer/Winnwell bandwagon and coming out with class styled pads.

If NHL players can get away with 5030's I think it can be a legitimate suggestion for minor level hockey players.

Not really. NHL players are bigger and stronger, can take more abuse than your typical lanky 15 year old who has yet to fill his frame. There are more errant sticks and pucks in minor hockey, plus those kids are not going to play hockey for a living, so they can't afford to risk their safety for what is essentially a game. There would be very very very few parents who would want their kid in something as flimsy as a 5030. Players like Colton Orr prefer the 5030s because it's what they're used to and what they've been using for a long time. Players and kids nowadays are different.

Those who praise the 5030 are all rec leaguers now and have more control over your abilities and know when to avoid certain situations to protect yourself. Don't scorn the new player with higher end gear, they simply want to protect themselves and you have absolutely no argument against the protective quality of the 5030 vs something higher end.

It's your preference, so stop imposing it on others.

The Warrior is a pro NHL-spec cap with their Zote cell foam. Commonly added onto existing pads to meet new regulations. Other manufacturers make them too, but only at the pro level. That's why you almost never see NHL-spec pads at retail (although they really should be, imo).

Last edited:

donkers*

Not really. NHL players are bigger and stronger, can take more abuse than your typical lanky 15 year old who has yet to fill his frame. There are more errant sticks and pucks in minor hockey, plus those kids are not going to play hockey for a living, so they can't afford to risk their safety for what is essentially a game. There would be very very very few parents who would want their kid in something as flimsy as a 5030. Players like Colton Orr prefer the 5030s because it's what they're used to and what they've been using for a long time. Players and kids nowadays are different.

Those who praise the 5030 are all rec leaguers now and have more control over your abilities and know when to avoid certain situations to protect yourself. Don't scorn the new player with higher end gear, they simply want to protect themselves and you have absolutely no argument against the protective quality of the 5030 vs something higher end.

It's your preference, so stop imposing it on others.

The Warrior is a pro NHL-spec cap with their Zote cell foam. Commonly added onto existing pads to meet new regulations. Other manufacturers make them too, but only at the pro level. That's why you almost never see NHL-spec pads at retail (although they really should be, imo).

Uhhh it's a message board where people ask for input and opinions.

donkers*

And I've been playing hockey at every level from Squirt to Junior and 2 years removed from college club. I think I have some sort of credibility when it comes to gear suggestions.

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
Do your guys' rink make you sign up for USAH? Doesn't that $40 qualify you for some sort of insurance? Someone told me that he got dental work paid for because of that.

Not sure about the place I go for drop-in actually. I do know that the place I go for league is not USAH affiliated though (even though it adheres to the USAH rules and all).

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
And I've been playing hockey at every level from Squirt to Junior and 2 years removed from college club. I think I have some sort of credibility when it comes to gear suggestions.

Fair enough, but the game has changed. Consumer preferences and expectations are different. What worked for you will not work today for someone who has to go to school the next day and with parents who want the best for their kids with what they can afford.

donkers*

Fair enough, but the game has changed. Consumer preferences and expectations are different. What worked for you will not work today for someone who has to go to school the next day and with parents who want the best for their kids with what they can afford.

I know plenty of kids who play Midget AAA and AA right now and to be honest I don't see how it has. The reason 5030's aren't prevalent is because kids like the expensive stuff for bragging rights with their teammates.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I know plenty of kids who play Midget AAA and AA right now and to be honest I don't see how it has. The reason 5030's aren't prevalent is because kids like the expensive stuff for bragging rights with their teammates.

this

I'm not, not advocating protective gear, just protection required for the level you play

I play mostly non-contact shinny, and a semi-high level non-contact league, so that means no shoulder pads to 5030's

if I were good enough to play Midget AAA or Jr B+ (A or Dub) I'd be all over the "good" stuff

I belive the advancement in gear is improving from the days of the ole heavy douglas pads and Supra pants and that with the evouation of the TotalOne and now the U+CL, that they are giving you the "right" protection where it counts and doing away with anything that can hamper performance (weight, moisture control and heat)

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC

It's funny as how we flip as adults. All the "cool kids" in my beer league teams rock the 5030's. I switched recently to try something lighter and love them.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

I have parents and kids from every spectrum of minor hockey come in for protective gear. Very few would prefer a lower end pad when, for their level, they would need a higher end pad. Like r3cco said, the industry responds to the market, you can get extremely lightweight and mobile pads nowadays with top-end protection. It's no longer a catch 22. He's also absolutely right that there are different needs at different levels. One can absolutely get away without shoulders in shinny and non-contact rec. If one were to play AAA for example, those types of pads simply won't cut it anymore. Do AA and AAA players still rock minimalistic pads? Absolutely, I won't ever argue that until I know what every single AA or AAA player wears (lol), but what I'm saying is that for that level, mid-high end is a need.

donkers*

It's funny as how we flip as adults. All the "cool kids" in my beer league teams rock the 5030's. I switched recently to try something lighter and love them.

They may not be as flashy or fresh looking as the new stuff but if you're handy with a sewing machine you can definitely add enough protection on there to get you through a rough game.

I actually don't have the 5030's. I have the Winnwell's but same thing.

donkers*

I have parents and kids from every spectrum of minor hockey come in for protective gear. Very few would prefer a lower end pad when, for their level, they would need a higher end pad. Like r3cco said, the industry responds to the market, you can get extremely lightweight and mobile pads nowadays with top-end protection. It's no longer a catch 22. He's also absolutely right that there are different needs at different levels. One can absolutely get away without shoulders in shinny and non-contact rec. If one were to play AAA for example, those types of pads simply won't cut it anymore. Do AA and AAA players still rock minimalistic pads? Absolutely, I won't ever argue that until I know what every single AA or AAA player wears (lol), but what I'm saying is that for that level, mid-high end is a need.

Of course some mom is going to want a suit of armor for her kid.

I feel like we're just going in circles. You think kids need a lot of protection. I say not as much as they think. Agree to disagree?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I've gotten rocked by big checks, boarded from behind and taken relatively hard shots to my body.

And I'm playing in a non-checking league.

No way I wear nothing or something paper thin like the 5030.

Just because it's non-checking, doesn't mean people won't check you. There are some reckless idiots out there.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

I feel like we're just going in circles. You think kids need a lot of protection. I say not as much as they think. Agree to disagree?

Nope I never said that kids needed a lot of protection, I'm saying they need protection suitable for their level of play. 5030s are not suitable for higher level hockey.

donkers*

Nope I never said that kids needed a lot of protection, I'm saying they need protection suitable for their level of play. 5030s are not suitable for higher level hockey.

Fine, maybe stock 5030's aren't suitable for the sissies out there but they can build on it. It's not hard to sew on extra protection as needed. In the end you get customized shoulder pads for a fraction of the price of the more expensive stuff out there. Every "high" end shoulder pads I've gotten I've ended up cutting stuff out of or replacing something I've thought was too much.

donkers*

I guess someone should tell Eric Boulton to get new pads then.

image.jpg

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
anytime you are pinched into or are stopped at any rate of speed suddenly... no matter what you will feel it

I do agree that the S19/TotalOne/11k/U+Pro or CL will do a better job at preventing topical damage to areas such as your clavicle, and mostly your sternim/chest for pucks & spears

however if you take a good check to the chest, or are taken hard into the boards, it doesn't matter... you feel it

to help this, is to learn how to compress into the hit by expecting the hit and using the glass or getting low in preperation (or better yet avoid alltogether)

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012

You don't have anything to support that.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012

Well the problem is that you're being obnoxious about it and saying that anyone wearing anything more substantial than 5030s is a sissy and only does it because it's a dick measuring contest with his teammates.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I guess someone should tell Eric Boulton to get new pads then.

image.jpg

Yah, if you lift weights and your arms, shoulders and back are built up 5030's are fine (I wear them, lol). The problem in hockey is you get guys with pencil arms and they just show up and play and those are the guys that get hurt. When you're skin and bones you need more protection. And this aiyeare guy is arguing the complete opposite in another thread about people buying stuff they don't need. Which is it? According to him people are supposed to have specific gear that he feels is best for them and we don't live in a free market. He's a hockey equipment communist.

donkers*

Well the problem is that you're being obnoxious about it and saying that anyone wearing anything more substantial than 5030s is a sissy and only does it because it's a dick measuring contest with his teammates.

I'm trying to say it is a very viable option to those who write it off as not being appropriate for anything more than non-contact beer league play.

donkers*

Yah, if you lift weights and your arms, shoulders and back are built up 5030's are fine (I wear them, lol). The problem in hockey is you get guys with pencil arms and they just show up and play and those are the guys that get hurt. When you're skin and bones you need more protection. And this aiyeare guy is arguing the complete opposite in another thread about people buying stuff they don't need. Which is it? According to him people are supposed to have specific gear that he feels is best for them and we don't live in a free market. He's a hockey equipment communist.

I agree, if you're not eating your Wheaties in the morning you might need some more protection. By 16-17 kids are already working out and getting pretty strong so why can't the 5030's be an option for them? All I'm saying is consider it and don't write it off immediately and move a suggestion that you deem nonsensical to another thread just because you want to. Not talking to you directly with that last line.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
I'm trying to say it is a very viable option to those who write it off as not being appropriate for anything more than non-contact beer league play.

It's a viable option. Choosing something else does not make someone a sissy or a showoff.

donkers*

It's a viable option. Choosing something else does not make someone a sissy or a showoff.

Like I said, I'm sorry if my choice of words is too harsh for your liking. I'll precede an acrid post with the word "earmuffs" beforehand.

It'll be your safe word :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad