Wearing Chest/Shoulder Protection

dwreckm

Feb 2, 2012
Alaska
Just curious if anyone plays without using Chest/Shoulder pads. I've noticed there's several who do among the guys I play with. I've considered playing without mine a few times, just for being less confined, plus making my jersey easier to put on.

My only hesitation is a guy I went to high school with who played on a college team was hit by a puck in his chest and it stopped his heart, and I'd like to avoid that.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I haven't worn any for almost 30 years. Mostly because back when I had to wear them they were pretty useless. (see Ned Braden in Slapshot). I don't really know how constricting the new ones are since I have never worn them but I would imagine that you would definately have an easier time moving. I've been hit in the chest a few times standing in front of the net but nothing serious yet. Most people I play with keep their shots down.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
It's all risk vs reward. I like having protection against cross checks, pucks, boards, and some plastic over my spine and heart.

Shoulders today are way better than they were 5+ years ago. They are lighter, breathe better, and move with the body rather than twisting all around.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I find that I am always making some sort of contact when I play and I prefer to have them on. I wear CCM U+09s and they are low profile and very comfortable. I really forget that I have them on when I'm out there.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just curious if anyone plays without using Chest/Shoulder pads. I've noticed there's several who do among the guys I play with. I've considered playing without mine a few times, just for being less confined, plus making my jersey easier to put on.

My only hesitation is a guy I went to high school with who played on a college team was hit by a puck in his chest and it stopped his heart, and I'd like to avoid that.

Depends what you are playing. I don't wear them when I am playing shinny with a good group of guys that have played the game at a decent level. I find they know not to fire shots high or play physical, but when I don't know who I'm playing with in shinny, always wear it. Lots of idiots and careless people.

Obviously junior or senior you are regulated to wear them.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
I go without them during stick and puck but I usually put them on for games or pickup because I'm not really interested in a separated shoulder.

I agree with Jarick that shoulders now are much better than 5-10 years ago, let alone 20 years ago. I replaced some old Easton Z-Air shoulders with Bauer One80s and it feels like I'm not wearing anything.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
Even in no-contact I still get the occasional contact from time to time..I use a pair of Bauer classic supreme shoulders..they feel like nothing and don't restrict my mobility at all

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
I wear em but I cut the caps off so they're a little less bulky and afford greater freedom of movement. I've got a pair of Bauer X40s that are great with no caps and a pair of CCM UPros that are also good without the caps - more protective but a little more bulky.

I would estimate that half the guys on my team wear something similarly cut down. A lot of them still wear the paper thin ones they've been wearing for the last 20 years. Maybe 2 or 3 guys wear real shoulder pads.

don28

Postal Gunslinger
Dec 31, 2009
Lebanon, TN
I find it somewhat ironic that many people want to take others to task for not wearing a full shield or full cage, but not wearing shoulder pads is given a pass. I get hit with sticks and pucks across my shoulder pads in EVERY game that I play. I can't imagine playing without shoulder pads. I had a first degree shoulder separation years ago WITH shoulder pads on. It would have been much worse without the pads. Just my $0.02.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Since theres no contact I don't wear any shoulder pads just elbow pads. Sometimes I take a hit here and there but not as often as a full contact league. So much better out there without the pads I find.

adaptation

Jan 3, 2011
depends largely on whether or not you are in a checking league or not. In a checking league(which probably means a league where blueline slappers are common as well), you absolutely want protection. However, non contact league, unless you throw yourself in front of a slapper you should be fine.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I find it somewhat ironic that many people want to take others to task for not wearing a full shield or full cage, but not wearing shoulder pads is given a pass. I get hit with sticks and pucks across my shoulder pads in EVERY game that I play. I can't imagine playing without shoulder pads. I had a first degree shoulder separation years ago WITH shoulder pads on. It would have been much worse without the pads. Just my $0.02.

It's because head/eye injuries are far more permanent than chest or shoulder injuries. Get hit in the eye, your eye is gone for good. Get your brain concussed, who knows how long you'll be gone for.

Get a dislocated shoulder or a broken rib, you'll be good in a few weeks.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Sherwood 5030's, it feels like wearing nothing but you have the amount of protection you need in non checking rec leagues. I forgot mine last night, laid some guy out who tried to accept a suicide pass and I'm sure my shoulder will be sore by tomorrow. My theory when it comes to equipment is it's better than nothing. I try to find the best stuff that weighs the least, is breathable and moves well so I know I'm protected but I'm not a middle linebacker for the Bears.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I cut the shoulder caps off of mine, for less bulkiness. I like having the chest and back protection since I play with a range of abilities with a range of control of their sticks and shots.

I don't understand the "I don't want to separate my shoulder" arguement. All the separated shoulders I've witnessed (3 of 'em) were from people putting out a hand when they fell on the ice. Shoulder pads don't hold your shoulders or collar bones together.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
I cut the shoulder caps off of mine, for less bulkiness. I like having the chest and back protection since I play with a range of abilities with a range of control of their sticks and shots.

I don't understand the "I don't want to separate my shoulder" arguement. All the separated shoulders I've witnessed (3 of 'em) were from people putting out a hand when they fell on the ice. Shoulder pads don't hold your shoulders or collar bones together.

Three's not much of a sample size and it's a pretty bold jump to make the conclusion that shoulderpads don't prevent separated shoulders. It's obviously possible to dislocate or separate your shoulder through an impact.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i invested in a mission roller hockey padded shirt, they are awesome, i know shock doctor makes nice ones too.

mission-roller-hockey-thorax-flow-shirt-jr.jpg

looks like RBK makes them now as well

rps7k.jpg

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
Three's not much of a sample size and it's a pretty bold jump to make the conclusion that shoulderpads don't prevent separated shoulders. It's obviously possible to dislocate or separate your shoulder through an impact.
NHLers separate their shoulders quite a bit, too, even though they're wearing shoulder pads.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Too risky for me, personally.

The only time I don't wear full gear is when I'm playing pond hockey, and now that I got a concussion like that you bet I'm wearing at least my helmet from here on in.

I know a few guys who go shoulderpad-less. I find it a little annoying because it means I can't really dig against them in the corner. I mean I could, yeah, but I don't want to injure anyone.

If you want more mobility without bulk why not invest in some Sherwood 5030 shoulder pads?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yeah my shoulder injuries are from getting hit while my arm is extended. I don't think any pads do much for joint injuries (shoulder, elbow, wrist, knee). What they do nicely is eliminate pain from cross checks and errant pucks. And if you were playing contact I think it would prevent fractures on hard hits into the boards.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah my shoulder injuries are from getting hit while my arm is extended. I don't think any pads do much for joint injuries (shoulder, elbow, wrist, knee). What they do nicely is eliminate pain from cross checks and errant pucks. And if you were playing contact I think it would prevent fractures on hard hits into the boards.

I saw a guy dislocate his knee when his shinpad slid and his knee hit the ice hard.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I flip really from nothing for 80% of the time for league/shinny, but will keep them in the bag so that if I find that the other team has phyiscal players rocking them, it gives me protection from their pads

incidental contact from a player with pads, usually doesn't hurt, but if it gets really physical in a "non-contact" league... well the ref isn't doing his job and you have to look after yourself

if its a really intense game and I know that going in, where there is a deliberate, but no intent to contact and where point men are firing through traffic to deflect the puck in... I'll wear some higher end pads

I still come from the old school of thought, where, let the goalie do the work and if I make a pass from a wing and am coming across behind the net, I'll duck... just common sence
I'm not playing anything that competitive and there aren't scouts in the stands ;)

all in all, I notice the difference in my game from wearing even the 5030's, to let alone the higher end pads

jarick is right, the new pads are lighter and more mobile, more protective? not sure, but I think they took the science applied on those old bulky like Douglas pads and managed to figure truely where to apply what kind of density of foams and where you don't need to protect so much.

most the time, if its civil... I don't wear any and my fatigue is significantly reduced

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
My first shoulders were Mission M-2 pads:

They don't look like much, but holy crap they made me feel 20 degrees hotter on the ice. I was dying. They also rotated with my shoulders so they were constantly riding up and limited my movement. Plus the caps came off the shoulders a good bit so they looked goofy under the jersey.

Then I got the Sherwood 5030's:

27528-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Much lighter feeling on the ice, much cooler, like wearing nothing. No padding on the belly or low back, so I took a lot of shots and got some nasty bruises and welts. Also the laces kept coming undone in the middle of games (even when I double knotted) and they'd fall apart. After a year they weren't white anymore...got all nasty and yellow. Then I read about a couple kids getting heart attacks from shots and a guy in my league had a heart attack and decided to get more protection.

Now I'm wearing these Reebok 4k's:

reebok-4k_kfs_junior_hockey_shoulder_pads_p1_.jpg

What you can't really see is that the shoulder/chest/back piece is separate from the torso piece and connected with stretchy material. This means the upper piece moves with your shoulders and the torso piece stays flat on the body. The M-1's and some Itechs I tried would ride up and hit my cage on faceoffs, but not these ones.

It has far more coverage than the 5030's but it doesn't feel much heavier. I don't notice them at all during games. They also are not much hotter than the 5030's, nowhere near as hot as the M-1's or some Vapor shoulder pads I was using at one point. The additional padding on the belly and low back is nice for errant shots and there are big inserts on the chest and spine for extra protection.

The shoulder caps, if you compare to the 5030's, do come out a little wider, but if you compare to the M-1's (and most shoulder pads from several years ago) they are level with the neck, not coming up, so they don't have that "football player" look to them. The caps also are more contoured and not sticking out to the sides, again for a more natural look under the jersey.

This is why I say, check out modern pads if you haven't in a while. I know Easton has a similar floating chest piece for movement. My old Vapors were in between, no floating piece, but they did have a segmented torso so it had a bit more movement. But these newer pads do an excellent job, even the lower end models.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad