Post-Game Talk: We win!

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I heard a new nickname for Kadri tonight. The Lebanese Lion. I still prefer the dream. What a game by him, unfortunately I didn't get to watch :(

Wtf does a lion have to do with Lebanese people or hockey?

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The third goal was so amazing. Many times when he tries to dangle he turns it over. But you just see the drive, motivation, and confidence he had. He really wanted the hattrick and he definitely deserved it! Just deked the dmen so smoothly... Perfection.

He has really matured into a great and smart hockey player. He can practically dominate whenever he wants to now.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
The third goal was so amazing. Many times when he tries to dangle he turns it over. But you just see the drive, motivation, and confidence he had. He really wanted the hattrick and he definitely deserved it! Just deked the dmen so smoothly... Perfection.

Man oh Man this needs to stop. Does this mean if it was his first goal he would not have had the determination to score it?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
He has really matured into a great and smart hockey player. He can practically dominate whenever he wants to now.
Although Kessel is supposed to be the showpiece of this team Kadri is just blowing Phil into the weeds with his effort and skill. At this juncture I can't really think of any area Kessel is better in than Kadri. Perhaps a small advantage with his wristshot but I don't even know about that any more. As much as PK has been lauded for his passes to JVR Kadri's saucer passes are off the charts.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Maybe I'm just blind to Kostka's contributions or something. He's been good, but I wouldn't sit Liles for him.

I'd send Holzer down because he's waiver eligible and get Gardiner/Liles in there if it makes sense to do so.

Maybe that's too many soft puck movers, I don't know. I just think we could use some offensive dmen beside Phaneuf/Franson.

I think that main idea here is that we ice 6 big defense-man that can win board battles as some of our forwards are undersized.
Second consideration is that RC wants D play on their strong side. Therefore for Gardiner/Liles one of the Gunnarson or Fraser should come out.
In the East there are not that many teams that warrant Komisarek back in line up for tougher physical battles (speed is more important). However, with so many games recently I don't know why initial rotation was stopped. I would like to see Kostka/Holzer rotate with Komi if for nothing else then for just decreasing load on them, giving them some recovery time and maybe preventing some mental mistakes due to fatigue.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Liles ain't great in his own end, but other than pummeling little Gallagher, I don't see that Kotska has been good either, Kotska has been given every opp to succeed and has not seized the moment Hello Zug!

I don't agree with bunjay's assessment. Liles moves the puck quickly, so he often avoids a hard forecheck. He's faster and better positionally than Kostkka.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Although Kessel is supposed to be the showpiece of this team Kadri is just blowing Phil into the weeds with his effort and skill. At this juncture I can't really think of any area Kessel is better in than Kadri. Perhaps a small advantage with his wristshot but I don't even know about that any more. As much as PK has been lauded for his passes to JVR Kadri's saucer passes are off the charts.

Phil's shot is one of the best in the NHL, but Kadri has him beat in every other category by a huge margin. Phil has no heart and never has. Even with a 1 on 1 he can't beat defenders and has to rely on his wrister to score the goal. Kadri went 3 on 1 for his hat trick, you will never see Phil even attempting that. No courage.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I don't agree with bunjay's assessment. Liles moves the puck quickly, so he often avoids a hard forecheck. He's faster and better positionally than Kostkka.
It seems so long since Liles played I can't really remember.:naughty: He does have a bad habit of poorly timed pinches though.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050
Of Kadri, Reimer deadpanned after the win: "Looked average. He’s not a very good player so that kind of surprised me."

:laugh:

David Broll ‏@brolldozer1993
Kadri my new favorite player #wow

Jim Lang ‏@JimLang590
Kadri. Dangerous. Scores. #bobcolevoice. #Leafs

Jeff O'Neill ‏@odognine2
400 people in Long Island are drooling over Kadri's skill.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

When the opposing team dumps it into his corner and goes after him, Liles becomes damn near useless against the board grind cycle and gets overpowered for garbage goals around the net. His great skating does absolutely nothing for him there. He's also been poor offensively and on the PP, and prone to badly times pinches.

Kostka was playing too many minutes but he has been better than liles defensively when getting the same kind of assignments. You can't compare Kostka playing 27 minutes on the first pairing to Liles playing ~20 on the second. Kostka is also much more useful on the PK.

There is a reason Liles is scratched game after game, and it's not some sort of pro-AHL conspiracy to give us a heartwarming rags-to-riches story.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad