Post-Game Talk: We win, but, we also lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
its funny how dead these PGT's have been in the recent days

just shows u how many crums on this board are just bandwagoners
and to mention that's just assuming everyone posting here watched that game

Really? What would you like people to say?
That 66 games later against possibly one of worst teams in the history of the NHL (and 5 PPs later) Bozak scores and then beats a goalie in the SO who would struggle in the AHL? But hey, we got those 2 points.
That the Leafs had to come back with 3 minutes left to tie the Sabres?
Awesome. Go Leafs.
Maybe some of us would actually like to be in a position to draft a Barkov/Ekblad etc for once in this lousy teams existence over the past 10 years.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
BB-TUMBLEWEED.jpg

Kessel, motoring down the highway! :D

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good preventive measure damage control game for the Leafs.

With the win they saved themselves from even more media criticism had they lost to the 30th place team in full tank mode.

It was a close call however as they got badly outplayed in the 2nd and need a late 3rd PP goal with 3:25 left to send it to OT.

Horachek/Shanny bench Kadri and his replacement Kozun scores in his place.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
At this time of the season, the Sabres are one of the few teams that the Leafs can get away with not having a 60 minute complete game effort... and win.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Tyler Bozak... Coming Through When its Needed the LEAST!

Thanks for proving that we can actually beat the worst team in the league. Bozak. Mr. clutch player!:laugh:

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
What a testament of his skill.

Way to show those Rochester Americans how to play hockey.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country

If being a true blue Leafs fan means sticking around to watch terrible hockey played between two inexcusably bad teams, then I'll pass.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Chalk up 2 useless points.

What I don't understand is that we all know that winning games now means absolutely nothing. All it does is hurt you in the draft. How come the Sabres, Coyotes and Oilers got that memo yet whoever is running the Leafs did not? Who is making these decisions as far as putting a team on the ice that will constructively lose?

Gross negligence given the prize of a McDavid or Eichel or even Strome! I can't stand it! I was 4 yrs old the last time this godforsaken franchise won a Cup. I'm 51 now and year after year these idiots that run this franchise fail to do what is necessary to draft a player that is generational.

Why are they not doing everything in their power to give them a shot at these guys? It's sickening

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What I don't understand is that we all know that winning games now means absolutely nothing. All it does is hurt you in the draft. How come the Sabres, Coyotes and Oilers got that memo yet whoever is running the Leafs did not? Who is making these decisions as far as putting a team on the ice that will constructively lose?

Gross negligence given the prize of a McDavid or Eichel or even Strome! I can't stand it! I was 4 yrs old the last time this godforsaken franchise won a Cup. I'm 51 now and year after year these idiots that run this franchise fail to do what is necessary to draft a player that is generational.

Why are they not doing everything in their power to give them a shot at these guys? It's sickening

That's the problem with Sports, someone has to win the game.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

They barely beat Buffalo. It's not like they're poised for some amazing run.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Good preventive measure damage control game for the Leafs.

With the win they saved themselves from even more media criticism had they lost to the 30th place team in full tank mode.

It was a close call however as they got badly outplayed in the 2nd and need a late 3rd PP goal with 3:25 left to send it to OT.

Horachek/Shanny bench Kadri and his replacement Kozun scores in his place.

Why are we putting a team on the ice that is winning? Whoever is running the leafs needs their head stomped because they have a shot at a generational draft pick! Sickening and its been going on here for decades..treading water. What does winning now do? Nothing!

Can anyone tell me why they are putting a team on the ice that can win? 4 point swing game last night and they can't constructively lose... I'm so sick of this as I was 4 years old the last time this team won a cup and I have this gut feeling I will never see them in a cup before I leave this earth.

With that and watching them blow a shot at a franchise player makes my blood boil.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Conflict of interest on the GMs part.

Nonis is trying to win to save his own job not intentionally tank to build for future, one in which he will not likely be a part of for the failures of the team.

He is accountable for the results.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why are we putting a team on the ice that is winning? Whoever is running the leafs needs their head stomped because they have a shot at a generational draft pick! Sickening and its been going on here for decades..treading water. What does winning now do? Nothing!

Can anyone tell me why they are putting a team on the ice that can win? 4 point swing game last night and they can't constructively lose... I'm so sick of this as I was 4 years old the last time this team won a cup and I have this gut feeling I will never see them in a cup before I leave this earth.

With that and watching them blow a shot at a franchise player makes my blood boil.

It does sound like you're working yourself up for a coronary.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
They barely beat Buffalo. It's not like they're poised for some amazing run.

I know but they need to lose games like last night given the opportunity to draft McD or Eichel and they can't see that? I have a sickening feeling that the people we think are managing this team are grossly negligent it not seeing what we all see. Am I missing something?

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Conflict of interest on the GMs part.

Nonis is trying to win to save his own job not intentionally tank to build for future, one in which he will not likely be a part of for the failures of the team.

He is accountable for the results.

Given the collapses under his tenure and the latest goat rodeo with Kadri he is so fired it's not even funny. What part of rebuild does Nonis not get? He's on the same level if not worse than JFJ. This season is an embarrassment and some people need to be held accountable.

Feb 24, 2004

Yes - people who don't post after a Sabres-Leafs game in the middle of March after 11 years of futility are bandwagoners...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I agree, I'm surprised the Leafs haven't forfeited the remainder of their games.

That's the logical thing to do in this situation.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Sabres weren't going to pass us in the standing anyway. We have 16 more points.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

You can't make the players not try, because they have their careers to think about. It's the same with the coach.

And honestly, how could they put a team on the ice that can't win against Buffalo? Even if they swapped in Marlies, I'm pretty sure they'd stand a good chance.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You can't make the players not try, because they have their careers to think about. It's the same with the coach.

And honestly, how could they put a team on the ice that can't win against Buffalo? Even if they swapped in Marlies, I'm pretty sure they'd stand a good chance.

Brandon Kozun took his opportunity to replace Kadri in the line-up to score and attempt to build his NHL career & MacWilliam recorded his 1st NHL point on that play. You can't fault players for trying.

Just like David Booth is playing for his next contract as is Bernier so they are going out and doing their best as it effects their own livelihood.

Leafs look to be heading for a standings finish in the 4th-6th range from the bottom overall.

PS. If not for a delay of game penalty in the last 4 minutes by Buffalo the Leafs almost did lose that game. :wg:

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
If being a true blue Leafs fan means sticking around to watch terrible hockey played between two inexcusably bad teams, then I'll pass.
Yep. But, being a real fan means ditching this joke of a franchise.

They make the most revenue but won't do a proper rebuild. What is funny is the number of gullible fans still on the wagon at all.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Yes, it is sickening!

I was 12 years old when I witnessed the last Stanley Cup win by my Leafs. I'm turning 60 in less than a month. I'm pretty frustrated by the whole mess that is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Now, as much as we want the team to tank for a better draft position, this rarely ever happens intentionally. Professional players usually play for pride and hate to lose. I said usually, because, as we've seen with our current core, there seems to be a chronic lack of effort on full display by a few of our high priced players.

As you have seen with Buffalo, they have been bad this season for sure. Is it intentional? I don't think so. The last few months, Murray has simply further acknowledged that a rebuild is in order. He has cleared out as many assets as he can in order to prepare for his rebuild. I highly doubt that Nolan, and the rest of their coaches etc., would allow their players to tank on purpose. Their future employment is at stake here, so, I think they'd want to win no matter what. I think the Buffalo players probably think the same way. They're just not good enough as a team.

Same goes for Edmonton!

It is too bad that we couldn't have started the rebuild last year. I wanted Kessel and Phaneuf traded after the COLLAPSE LAST SEASON. I think this 2014-2015 season has been completely wasted. If we had started the rebuild last off season, we might have been where Buffalo is right now. Instead, we're 15 useless points ahead of them!

I really hope we can rid ourselves of Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak, Gardiner, Reimer, and, maybe even Bernier etc. this off season for decent returns. A full on rebuild is what this franchise really needs from the ground up!

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Maple Leafs’ Horachek unhappy with Lupul’s play

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-horachek-unhappy-lupuls-play/

Things haven’t been going well for Joffrey Lupul, and things got worse Wednesday during the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 4-3 shootout win over the Buffalo Sabres.

A sloppy turnover from Lupul contributed to the Sabres’ second goal, one of several things Maple Leafs interim head coach Peter Horachek disliked about Lupul’s performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad