Post-Game Talk: We win 5-3!!! Like the bay street bullies we are! Lead by Kessel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
That's how real men handle ****. If I have a problem with someone that needs to be solved with violence and he's larger than me, I'm not going to go beat up his kid because he's one of the "biggest ****ers" around.

If you have to take a beating, then you take a beating. People will respect you more for standing up for yourself than they would for going after someone weaker just because you were too afraid to stand up to the guy who wronged you.

thats a horrible analogy and nowhere near the same scenario lol. i understand what you're saying an obviously im an emotional guy but Scott needs to be taught a lesson and even if you whoop his ass, which chances are you won't, that's not gonna teach him what he did was dumb. what would hurt him the most would be to see one of the sabres better players getting tuned up directly because of his actions by a guy like phaneuf/clarkson

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
There is a video on TSN of players reaction to John Scott and I think it is fair to say that more than just Orr and McLaren have their sights set on him. You don't do things like that and get away with it.

Still, suspending him for half a season will hurt his pocket book. Might be the only message he understands.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Of course the answer is to eliminate the need for goons in the sport....NOT to load up on goons to take out the only thing that makes hockey remotely interesting....skill, talent and finesse.

"Goons" will never be eliminated though. Guys like Thornton, Kassian, Boyle, Downie and Lucic could do anything they want on the ice without ever fearing retribution... and those guys are already tough mofo's as it is... they just have enough skill to play in a teams top 9 (top 3 for Lucic). Other teams need someone to prevent those guys mentioned above from doing whatever they want to whoever they want... and tough guys with top 9 skill are very tough to find.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

NHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety 47s
David Clarkson has been automatically suspended 10 regular-season games for leaving bench on an illegal line change to join an altercation.

as expected

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
thats a horrible analogy and nowhere near the same scenario lol. i understand what you're saying an obviously im an emotional guy but Scott needs to be taught a lesson and even if you whoop his ass, which chances are you won't, that's not gonna teach him what he did was dumb. what would hurt him the most would be to see one of the sabres better players getting tuned up directly because of his actions by a guy like phaneuf/clarkson

It would only lead to them doing the exact same thing right back to us... both teams lose all their stars... sounds pretty awesome, right?

An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Where that line of thinking falls apart is what if you have a guy on your team like Scott but let's say this Scott guy can drop anybody on your team. What now? I guess he wins and can just go on and do whatever he likes.

Excuse me but what? I'm talking about a clean open ice hit that Phaneuf is famous for... As for Scott he's just big not really a good fighter. Orr gave it to him twice last year and this time Orr has an added ingredient of fire for the beat down Scott is in for. Even so lets say hypothetically what your saying is correct, history dictates that as long as he answers the call of the fight coming his way regardless if he wins or not it ends there and the teams go back to playing hockey.

Scott is not the one to worry about it's that dirt bag Kaleta the next time the Leafs play Buffalo.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Where that line of thinking falls apart is what if you have a guy on your team like Scott but let's say this Scott guy can drop anybody on your team. What now? I guess he wins and can just go on and do whatever he likes.

We have McLaren and Orr... how other teams handle Scott is their problem, not ours.

Charon of Styx said:
If the league hands Scott the biggest penalty of all the combatants last night, I would consider it settled.

What league rule did Scott break?

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
To the day 8 month anniversary of Orr KO on Scott. Scott got upset that there were no cake and candles or something?

We are Leafs and you are pawn!
We will score AND beat you down!

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I'm having a seniors moment and can't remember the name of the dirtbag on the New York Rangers who talked about his former girlfriend and hoped her present boyfriend would not mind his "sloppy seconds." Wasn't he disciplined for that? And if so, it must have been some general category about bringing the game into disrepute. I think I can almost guarantee there is no actual rule in the NHL about trashing former girlfriends. If anyone can remind me of his name, I'll google it to see if he was indeed suspended.

I think the game has an interest in keeping goons from targeting its stars and a suspension of Scott would be justified in addition to Clarkson and, very possibly, Kessel.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'm having a seniors moment and can't remember the name of the dirtbag on the New York Rangers who talked about his former girlfriend and hoped her present boyfriend would not mind his "sloppy seconds." Wasn't he disciplined for that? And if so, it must have been some general category about bringing the game into disrepute. I think I can almost guarantee there is no actual rule in the NHL about trashing former girlfriends. If anyone can remind me of his name, I'll google it to see if he was indeed suspended.

I think the game has an interest in keeping goons from targeting its stars and a suspension of Scott would be justified in addition to Clarkson and, very possibly, Kessel.

Sean Avery

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What league rule did Scott break?

I always thought team tough guys didn't fight non fighters, no matter what. As was stated earlier the league can't have goons taking out elite players. However if you take the position anyone is fair game, all I'm saying is you should expect the same.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
2eci0ht.gif

AWCRlDQ.jpg

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Yep, Sean Avery, and I was right. He was suspended and not for breaking a specific rule.

From Wikipedia...
"Sloppy seconds" comment[edit source]

On December 2, 2008, prior to the Stars' morning skate in preparation for a game against the Calgary Flames, Avery approached the assembled reporters in the dressing room and stated, “I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight.†At the time, Flames defenseman Dion Phaneuf was dating Avery’s ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert, and Kings center Jarret Stoll was dating model Rachel Hunter, another ex-girlfriend of Avery’s.[33][34][35]

Within hours, the NHL suspended Avery indefinitely for "conduct detrimental to the league or the game of hockey". His comments were met with near-unanimous condemnation by the Stars organization, fellow players, and fans alike. Stars owner Tom Hicks said that the team would have suspended Avery had the NHL not acted first.[36] Avery apologized the next day, calling his actions "inappropriate" and "a bad attempt to build excitement for the game."[37]

On December 5, the NHL fixed Avery's suspension at six games, retroactive to the December 2 game against the Flames. He agreed to undergo anger management counseling due to what the NHL called unacceptable and antisocial behavior. Commissioner Gary Bettman noted that Avery had been warned before about his behavior.[35] On December 14, after the last game of Avery's suspension, the Stars announced that Avery would not return to the team"

I think that targeting stars is long term both more common and more detrimental to hockey than crude comments by a dirtbag ex boyfriend.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Oh all of a sudden you don't care if others get taken advantage of. Now it's just worry about yourself.

I'm worried about the star players on the team that I watch getting hurt unnecessarily because we decided to attack their stars to get even.

What's stopping other teams from getting their own enforcers to deal with players like Scott?

McLaren taking a run at Vanek isn't going to stop Scott from potentially going after Crosby... how the hell could anyone think that's how things work? :laugh:

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
I always thought team tough guys didn't fight non fighters, no matter what. As was stated earlier the league can't have goons taking out elite players. However if you take the position anyone is fair game, all I'm saying is you should expect the same.

Scott broke the code, not any league rule.

I was replying to your post in which you said you hope the league suspends him for a long period of time... I asked what league rule he broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad