Post-Game Talk: We suck - Leafs lose 4-1

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Lots of people said it was an unnecessary signing at that point in the rebuild. Furthermore, we assumed one of the young three was going to be sacrificed, but the problem got worse when the “we can and we will” derailed the chances to properly rebuild the team.

I’ve said it all along that they were not going to win until they got a dependable number 1 goalie and a stud number 1 D and they handcuffed themselves from acquiring those assets.
Confirmed Signing with Link: - [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) | Page 199 | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com)
Seems like the great majority were pumped

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Exactly, i'm seeing so many people post about how this was the wrong move and it's all hindsight lol. Of course it looks bad now, but it didn't look bad when we did it.

99% of us were excited as hell when he signed. 99% of the mainboards acknowledged it to be a great move and deemed Toronto an upper tier cup contender for years to come. Now everyone wants to call the wrong move and that Dubas should have known better

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
So what were you're expectations in the first 2 years of a team that has started it's building with 7 rookies in the line up?

BTW......the impact of the Marleau contract is the most overblown red herring to ever grace these boards.

Yup, Dubas didn't have to move the final year of Marleau's contract, throwing in a 1st pick with it...I guess he thought it would be cute to use the cap space to overpay Marner instead of bridging him.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
GM of the year was David Poile. Runner up Chiarelli. Second runner up Dorion.

Last place to playoff team and giving Caps a run for their money is astounding. Lou not getting votes for that confirms the general view that he only plays a small role in that entire makeup. I believe round 1 of the playoffs is eligible for consideration for votes so......If Lou deserves the credit you're giving him, it should be clear cut case of GM of the year honors or even a runner up handed his way.

You keep asking questions but don't produce anything to convince anyone Lou deserves praise here.

Nobody wants to hear about Lou right now whether for or againt him, so I'll give the conclusion for all of you:

Lous grade as Leafs GM: Meh

Move on people.

Move on? LOL...this is the Leafs team being run by "not Lou", but Dubas. This team is beyond Lou's responsibility...it's being wrecked by Dubas.

Reactions: Polaris1010

mcleafs

Jan 2, 2020
Tavares is absolutely not the problem. Matthews and Marner being losers that lose is the problem. If you could tell me we have a Leafs team next week sans Rielly, Matthews and Marner I’d take it in a heartbeat.

I find all 3 insanely unlikable. Let them be someone else’s ‘saviours’.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yea not much to say. Very unlikable team to watch, far cry from even like 2 years ago. Got top paid elite players doing nothing, depth besides Spezza doing nothing, and now defence like Muzzin and Brodie look terrible out there. Special teams look awful again too. Good think I told myself I'm going to care way less about the team going forward so all of this is meh. Hope they get their shot together quick, or some big changes need to happen (which should've happened after the Columbus series imo). Saving grace right now, is a lot of top teams are doing poorly, and random teams like Buffalo and sharks are going good.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Reactions: ACC1224

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Tavares is absolutely not the problem. Matthews and Marner being losers that lose is the problem. If you could tell me we have a Leafs team next week sans Rielly, Matthews and Marner I’d take it in a heartbeat.

I find all 3 insanely unlikable. Let them be someone else’s ‘saviours’.

Agree 100%. Went and signed Tavares and then decided to build a team the exact opposite of the way he plays. Like Tavares, he has a strong work ethic but not a great or fast skater. The other 3 more happy to cheer against then for. The top 2 are not team players at all. For all the hype about Matthews, he is totally one dimensional. People seem to forget that when he was the big star in Switzerland, Switzerland? he led his team to first place in the regular season, only to disappear in the playoffs (sound familiar) without scoring a goal. His team got swept by the worst playoff qualifier, Bern (sound familiar). I'll be very happy to see him pulling his pants down in Phoenix.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Your problem is also depth. Just a bunch of players that were never good enough or reclamation projects trying to exceed expectations.

As an Oiler fan having seen all this before.....they won't.
The depth is literally the only thing working on this team.

Imagine if McDavid and Drai had 2 points combined over the first 7 games? Would you be sitting here saying OHHHHHHHHH but our depth is trash, that is why we are losing. LOL

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
The depth is literally the only thing working on this team.

Imagine if McDavid and Drai had 2 points combined over the first 7 games? Would you be sitting here saying OHHHHHHHHH but our depth is trash, that is why we are losing. LOL

Depth is the single biggest factor in the Oilers getting bounced out of the playoffs the last 2 years. There's been plenty of games over the last 3 years where McDrai didn't produce and nobody else did either. Sometimes the depth has to step up and do their job.

It's also important that your bottom 6 doesn't bleed goals as well

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
So you're saying that JT signing with the Leafs quite possibly cost the Islanders a cup?

Thanks for cheering us up! :nod:
In the grand scheme of things- yes! I never got wrapped up in the JT hate, he didn't leave in a good way but whatever, life goes on. I was so angry at the time because looking at it objectively no one benefitted. The leafs didn't need him, like at all! He didn't even address a need, it was just Dumbass playing fantasy hockey. The Isles very much needed him and if you look at our playoff losses a lot of them were due to a lack of firepower, something JT obviously would've provided. And finally, JT has completely erased any good will in NY and frankly speaking not exactly built up the warm and fuzzies in Toronto. In the end it was a turd sandwich all around. And I blame Kyle Dumbass so I guess you can say we are all united in this:laugh:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Shouldve added elite depth pieces around the our young trio instead of adding the Brutal Tavares Contract.

Now we're dumpster diving every off-season and its just getting sad

Reactions: Polaris1010

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly, i'm seeing so many people post about how this was the wrong move and it's all hindsight lol. Of course it looks bad now, but it didn't look bad when we did it.

99% of us were excited as hell when he signed. 99% of the mainboards acknowledged it to be a great move and deemed Toronto an upper tier cup contender for years to come. Now everyone wants to call the wrong move and that Dubas should have known better
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think an NHL GM should have known better than us idiots on a message board.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Sorry I should have clarified....all non-delusional fans. So everyone outside of the GTA
you'd still be incorrect, many out of towners in that thread as well gave their congrats. JT scored 47 his 1st year here, there weren't too many complaints.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Thank the lord I muted all of those guys months ago.

My god, their constant Dubas defending takes in here were spicy meatballs to say the least.
And when you say anything against them they normally run and have you kicked off the board this board is so flip-flop depends what day of the week it is Dubas sucks it’s a simple as that he keeps showing it if he wanted to be a decent GM he wouldn’t be so friendly with your players And the kiddo is going to cost you your job. I just can’t believe Shanahan is still falling for it

Reactions: mikeyz and MJK

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Do you have a link for this?

I have never heard that and from what I remember Lou was upset that Shanahan decided to let him go in favour of dubas.

Well, The Islanders hired his son.

And he joined them later.

Do you think MLSE would say We lost Lou and hire Dubas as the second option ?

Lou wanted to go.
MLSE agreed.
MLSE pretended it was their idea.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Raptors are 3-4 years from a potential title under the best case scenario.

If you can't bet on the Leafs to win a round before then, I'm not sure how you could even be a fan.

Oh, I agree. It's just gotten to the point around here that valid, warranted criticisms of the Maple Leafs have turned into "let's see who can make the most outlandish negative take on the team". Just wanted to point out a ridiculous take when I saw one. I'll refrain from encouraging basketball talk in the Leafs thread going forward, though. That's my bad.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Well, The Islanders hired his son.

And he joined them later.

Do you think MLSE would say We lost Lou and hire Dubas as the second option ?

Lou wanted to go.
MLSE agreed.
MLSE pretended it was their idea.

That doesn't seem like rock hard evidence imo.

"Lamoriello, who has many family and business ties to the United States, was not expected to make Canada his home if he could not remain a significant voice in the Leafs’ hierarchy."

From everything I've read, Lou was willing to stay with the Leafs if he had a major role. As soon as Shanahan said that he was going with dubas, Lou left.

Shanahan had his hand forced because dubas was thinking of leaving to work for Colorado. Seems like Lou was forced out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad