Post-Game Talk: We shouldn't have signed Miller. Canucks lose 6-2

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'm just not feeling good about going into San Jose on Saturday. At all.

The Sharks were reeling but suddenly they've got a few wins and are right back on the horse and heaven knows, no matter where they are in the standings they're a talented team.

Lundface*

He's been decent recently but he's been up and down all year. The minute you think he's back to last year's form he craps the bed again.

He's been good for a pretty long stretch now. Had a poor start to the season no doubt, but he's been solid in baby sitting Clendening.

I think he is easily the LD on the 3rd pairing if everyone is healthy.

Phred Phlinstone

Feb 12, 2015
White Rock, BC
I can't believe Vey's powerplay time (4:59). I don't even think he'll be scratched anytime soon.

Willie has stated how he likes to go with what he's done in practices and not who's hot or having a good game.

Well Vey has that going for him since he's never been on a hot streak. :cry:

Maybe it's time he started giving Matthias and Kenins some looks on the PP during practice time so that they can be slotted in during games.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He's been decent recently but he's been up and down all year. The minute you think he's back to last year's form he craps the bed again.

kind of the opposite of Sbisa, just when you think Sbisa stopped crapping the bed he drops another nugget.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

He's been playing well for a good stretch of games now. And that's with having to babysit Clendening

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's more so questioning the stability of the team with Lack and Marky in net. Lack was good tonight but it's concerning that he's been struggling in a low workload compared to last season.

Again, nobody is saying a Lack-Markstrom combo right now is a good thing.

As for Lack 'struggling', 2 bad games don't make a trend when they're his first outright poor games since October. And again, .921 since the Miller injury.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
You know who should get pp time with the twins and Vrby? Kenins, we keep hearing comparison to him and Burr maybe he can be our net front presence and our puck retriever, Vey will get out muscled everytime in these situations. Also based on recent games Ronny deserves it more then Vey.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Aside from a stretch in November right after returning from injury, when exactly had he crapped the bed?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It's more so questioning the stability of the team with Lack and Marky in net. Lack was good tonight but it's concerning that he's been struggling in a low workload compared to last season.

The criticism just seems odd to me. The guy has had 3-4 poor games in his last 17 or 18 and has a .924 sv% over that span. He has largely started against playoff teams and has played almost every 2nd half of a back to back. What more do people expect from a $1M goalie?

And of course the team lacks stability right now. Most of their defense is injured along with their $6M goalie. That's a lot of salary missing from the lineup. That's why they've gone from allowing 25-26 scoring chances against per game to 34-35 per game in the last couple of weeks. It's not like they were shutting down the opposition with Miller in there, as he allowed 3 non EN goals per game over the last month before he got injured, which incidentally is exactly the rate they've allowed since he was hurt.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don't see why our net front presence for the powerplay has to be right handed if we already have another two righties out there. Tonight we had Vrbata and either Weber or Clendening out there which was already two. Should have put Matthias in front of the net to at least screen the goalie, something Vey is incapable of doing.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Where is our Richardson/Edler/Tanev/Burrows timeline at? This wasn't the poorest we've looked without them, but damn if it wasn't close.

Twins, Kenins, McMillan and Stanton had good games. Other than that, park it. Bonino, Dorsett (bless his heart) and Weber were poooooooor.

And wasn't Richardson's injury just a bone bruise? Dude must have some insanely brittle bones. We miss the hell out of him on the defensive end right now.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
He's not good at this point. I hope he proves me wrong. I'd rather run with the meh 24 year old than trade assets for Johnson.

I'm not sure about calling him "meh" considering he was one of the biggest reason for Utica's success this season.

Tonight was the worst possible situation for him, and I feel like he would be great if given the right opportunity and handled properly.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
People defending Markstrom and hating on Miller are really people who suck at watching hockey. Miller has his bad games, but he rarely lets 3 goals in 5 minutes.

Sorry Markstrom but you got Dan Cloutier fever. Blame the Canucks for hiring him as goalie coach LOL

Our defense was terrible, there was clearly an offensive hole without Kassian in the line up. We could have ended San Jose's season, but when have the Canucks ever just closed the door? Never. We like to do things the most difficult way possible.

Edit:

Why did we send down Biega? From what I have seen... Biega > Corrrado

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Oh and Weber is not the solution on the powerplay... muffins rarely go in.

Edit:

We have to survive until reinforcements. The Canucks are lucky to be where they are, thank jesus that the East is still a joke.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Had the pleasure of going to this game with a friend. Some thoughts:

-Lol, Markstrom. Basically the biggest nightmare start possible. The Canucks responded pretty incredibly after the pulling, but the hole was too big. Credit the Sedins for doing what they do game in and game out....that second Henrik goal was just magic. It was so heartbreaking to later see Henrik hauled down and having San Jose score as a direct result. The energy in the building was electric and so were the Twins, and then a penalty goes uncalled and the game gets all but put away.

-The resultant makeup call was pretty transparent. Can't believe how close they came on that 5 on 3 too...If that was Salo instead of Weber I feel it wouldn't have just gone over his stick and down the ice. Huge opportunity for Weber to be clutch and finish that silver-platter dish from a white-hot Henrik.

-This team is hurting for just one D-man back in there. Corrado had a really rough game, as did Weber and Clendening. Sbisa really has turned a corner from earlier in the year, he's confident with the puck, his errors aren't just panic-mode turnovers that end up in the net. That being said, it's him and Hamhuis carrying the defensive load, as the rest have been struggling with increased minutes.

-Linden Vey needs to get it together. It's pretty easy to run out of patience as a fan but as a coach you just have to wonder what Willie's waiting to see. He's been getting exposed out there. Can't check John god damn Scott. He's Charmin soft out there. He can't handle the big minutes yet and is just getting fed them anyways. Why not give Baertschi a look...

-I thought McMillan had a great game and was hunting down pucks better than many tonight. Contrast that with games in which he was an utter non-factor. Maybe he's got something left in him yet.

-Good idea for Dorsett to fight down 3-0, sucks that the only guy he could get to go was Scott, who knocked his face around, but any time you can get an opponent to go when your team's down by 3 that early in the game, you get the crowd going a bit and suddenly the Canucks stole the energy back from the game. Dorsett does a lot of little things like that, even if his hands aren't as good as most he still has a really good head for the game.

-Horvat's been getting lots of good looks at the net. I am just so stoked on him right now. He's gonna be a go-to guy, if he isn't one already.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
SJ represents a very poor match-up for this team. Forwards that know how to pressure a defense. Good transition puck movement. Strong PP skill.

The Sharks get shaky when momentum swings against them. More so than CGY, LA or ANA. It was very obvious in the 2nd period. But the Nieto goal followed by the failed PP sunk VAN. After that, VAN was not able to wrest momentum away. SJ stabilized for the win.

This team needs all of its players back healthy and playing well. Present the best possible opposition. It's the only way they can turn the tide against SJ in future meetings, IMO.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
Don't see why Hiller wouldn't be interested in Vancouver. Not making 6M for posting average numbers as Miller too!

Jim Benning doesn't negotiate though.

If the Flames had signed Miller good ole simple Jimmy would have written up a contract detailing 6M a season for Hiller. Toss in a no movement clause and 5M signing bonus to make the deal extra sweet. That way Jim only has to spend 30 seconds getting the deal done :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad