We should not blow it up and stay the course

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Did you build a new addition on top of the one that fell off the house last year becasue the foundation was rotten? Just keep adding those additions and painting while the houses foundation keeps shifting.

This was the first season with Chiarelli and the new hockey ops structure. He is a couple of weeks or so from his first anniversary with the club. There is no reason to think he is hoping to coast through this without making any meaningful changes. There is also little reason to expect he is going to be excited about being taken to the cleaners by some other GM that puts him over a barrel. If he was interested in that, he would've already done it. There is probably a long list of guys hoping they can get him to recreate his Tyler Seguin swap.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So this is it. First I get frustration after all these years, but all these years we were suppose to be rebuilding. This year we were suppose to take a step forward and we did. So blowing a rebuild up because we have sucked so long is chopping of your broken leg because it hasn't worked in so long.

The team took a step forward, you have to realize that. Magically trading one guy for another isn't' going to solve all our problems. The solution to the problem is stay the course.

Sorry but I don't consider finishing bottom2 in the league yet again as "a step forward". Frankly I have a hard time understanding how anyone who's an Oilers fan can be content with such a minor improvement. Yay we improved points wise and our goal differential but we're still one of the worst teams in the league.

"Magically trading one guy for another isn't going to solve our problems", well perhaps not but in this league you build your team around your defense. We have a heavy imbalance with too many skilled forwards and too few capable defensemen. That is plain to see. Trading one of the forwards for a defenseman would, as such, be a good idea.

I mean, lets say we magically improve next year even further and even take a playoff spot. Do you seriously think, for even a second, that this team is going anywhere in the playoffs with the makeup of this team? Klefbom (plagued by injuries) and Sekera is our only semi-capable defensemen. Davidson was good this year but who knows how he'll perform next year. This team would get steamrolled by most of the teams in the West in a playoff series.

The goal should be to build a contender, no? If so, it's time to adress some core flaws of this roster and make sure the team is built right.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yeah if you ignore the part where Chia actually added, you know, good players.:shakehead

Like who? Marron has played about 15 games, Sekera has been so so. Talbot has been good most of the season but was dreadful early in the year.

You win in this league with depth and good D and, here's the kicker, not playing players above their level of ability.

Ah...So Chicago, La and alike care winning because of corey crawford, shaw, tanner pearson and not because of keith, doughty, seabrook, kane, etc.

No, you pay the price needed. That price isn't Hall, Nuge etc, though.

The above statement makes zero sense at all. We are going to trade for Vatanen and shattenkirk for Yak and pouliot. eh? Makes sense.

I can't tell if you're not reading my posts or are being obtuse on purpose or what. They need to make meaningful moves. But they don't have to blow things up to do so. How is this so hard to grasp?

I don't know if you understand the basis of what a meaningful move is or not. You do not get meaningful players for garbage players, it simply does not happen and changing the bottom of the roster for the 4th time in five years is not meaningful at all.

Whatever holes are in the top half pale to insignificance compared to the holes elsewhere on the roster.

No they don't we have shuffled the bottom holes endlessly and guys that play 15 mins a night do not have the effect that guys that play 20 plus do.

It's baffling that people can look at this lineup on paper, even when 100% healthy, and determine that the top of the order is what's keeping them from gliory.

It is though, the top of of roster is filled with inconsistent, skilled players who are not physical at all, have a tough time battling for pucks, with no dmen at all that can advance the puck or run a pp. Even the skilled part is up for debate because we contine to be one of the lower scoring teams in the league and often just fold when the going gets tough. If you think the Oilers are once again almost dead last in the league because of anton lander and mark fayne I don;t know what to say.

This was our opening night D-corps:

Klefbom
Sekera
Fayne
Reinhart
Schultz
Gryba

Two top four D, three bottom pairing D, one AHL D. And it got worse from there.

Yes, agreed about the defense, and you are going to fix this by???? Not trading anyone or value but doing a Harry Potter?

The bottom six:
Lander
Hendricks
Korpikoski
Letestu
Gazdic
Yakupov

With the possible exception of Yak, that's basically two fourth lines.

But sure, yeah: it's Hall and co's fault. :shakehead

We will simply not agree in that case on this issue, you feel to good teams are based on their worst players, I feel they are based on their best ones. And if you think Halls epic fall of the face of the ear5h 2nd half of the season had no bearing on the oilers, well have at it.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This was the first season with Chiarelli and the new hockey ops structure. He is a couple of weeks or so from his first anniversary with the club. There is no reason to think he is hoping to coast through this without making any meaningful changes. There is also little reason to expect he is going to be excited about being taken to the cleaners by some other GM that puts him over a barrel. If he was interested in that, he would've already done it. There is probably a long list of guys hoping they can get him to recreate his Tyler Seguin swap.

Then Chia is the same as MacT and Tambo then correct? Each of them had their free pass evaluation years, each of them 'tried to make deals' each of them failed to make deals each of them made numerous moves to the bottom part of the roster.

Each year teams by hook or by crook manage to make moves that improve their teams significantly the next year, except the oilers.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Sorry but I don't consider finishing bottom2 in the league yet again as "a step forward". Frankly I have a hard time understanding how anyone who's an Oilers fan can be content with such a minor improvement. Yay we improved points wise and our goal differential but we're still one of the worst teams in the league.

"Magically trading one guy for another isn't going to solve our problems", well perhaps not but in this league you build your team around your defense. We have a heavy imbalance with too many skilled forwards and too few capable defensemen. That is plain to see. Trading one of the forwards for a defenseman would, as such, be a good idea.

I mean, lets say we magically improve next year even further and even take a playoff spot. Do you seriously think, for even a second, that this team is going anywhere in the playoffs with the makeup of this team? Klefbom (plagued by injuries) and Sekera is our only semi-capable defensemen. Davidson was good this year but who knows how he'll perform next year. This team would get steamrolled by most of the teams in the West in a playoff series.

The goal should be to build a contender, no? If so, it's time to adress some core flaws of this roster and make sure the team is built right.

You're right. Like it or not the Oilers will have to go through the California teams in the first few rounds of the playoffs for the foreseeable future. Currently this Oilers forward group would have no chance in the playoffs where time/space/PP's become even more limited. Even if we add a few top 4 defensemen I still see the same issue of imbalance up front.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Then Chia is the same as MacT and Tambo then correct? Each of them had their free pass evaluation years, each of them 'tried to make deals' each of them failed to make deals each of them made numerous moves to the bottom part of the roster.

Each year teams by hook or by crook manage to make moves that improve their teams significantly the next year, except the oilers.

If you aren't willing to have some patience at this point, I suggest you are never going to be happy again. Selling ferociously from a position of weakness is almost never a good idea in anything.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If you aren't willing to have some patience at this point, I suggest you are never going to be happy again. Selling ferociously from a position of weakness is almost never a good idea in anything.

Oh boy. I wouldn't suggest preaching patience at this point, that ship has sailed and the clock is running on McDavid's ELC.

The Oilers are not selling from a position of weakness. They have an excess of a certain type of forward that should be in high demand. They will be trading players who are redundant for players who fill a role. Why do we need 5-6 highly skilled perimeter forwards who all need 1st unit PP time and the puck on their stick a lot?

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Oh boy. I wouldn't suggest preaching patience at this point, that ship has sailed and the clock is running on McDavid's ELC.

At this point, after all the futility, it is more important that transactions add net value than simply move pieces around.

The Oilers are not selling from a position of weakness. They have an excess of a certain type of forward that should be in high demand. They will be trading players who are redundant for players who fill a role. Why do we need 5-6 highly skilled perimeter forwards who all need 1st unit PP time and the puck on their stick a lot?

If the market perceives that you need to move that player more than they need to acquire it, you're in a position of weakness.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
At this point, after all the futility, it is more important that transactions add net value than simply move pieces around.

If the market perceives that you need to move that player more than they need to acquire it, you're in a position of weakness.

What is net value though? Certain players will have more value to the Oilers than other teams and vice versa. Panarin has more skill and points than Lucic, but who do you think would help the Oilers win more?

The Oilers need to find a trading partner that needs what they have an excess of. There are a lot of teams that could use a highly skilled, PP producer in their top 6. Every team in the league would love to have a top 5 pick in the draft too, especially given the looming expansion draft.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

First standings is fine, sure, but other improvements are not minor, our goal differential is more than 40 goals better. Most teams would consider that major. Standings are standings, if all the bottom teams do better than you won't see improvement. If a team gets 100 points one year and is in 5th place but all the top teams suck next year and your in 1st with 98 points did you really get any better?

Rebuilding teams have to be happy with improvement. It is the point. We are so messed up we want to rebuild the rebuild when it is working. Rebuilds are slow, people need to grasp that.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
First standings is fine, sure, but other improvements are not minor, our goal differential is more than 40 goals better. Most teams would consider that major. Standings are standings, if all the bottom teams do better than you won't see improvement. If a team gets 100 points one year and is in 5th place but all the top teams suck next year and your in 1st with 98 points did you really get any better?

Rebuilding teams have to be happy with improvement. It is the point. We are so messed up we want to rebuild the rebuild when it is working. Rebuilds are slow, people need to grasp that.

If we're going to be satisfied with such a minor improvement then Hall and Eberle will be UFA's by the time this team is ready to contend anyway and McDavid, Nurse and Draisaitl will all be signed to big contracts by then.

So if your plan is to stay the course, what exactly does that mean? How are you gonna stabilize the blueline? Is your idea to draft a d-man, develop him for years and then hope he turns into a #1D? Or what does the bigger picture look like for you?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If we're going to be satisfied with such a minor improvement then Hall and Eberle will be UFA's by the time this team is ready to contend anyway and McDavid, Nurse and Draisaitl will all be signed to big contracts by then.

So if your plan is to stay the course, what exactly does that mean? How are you gonna stabilize the blueline? Is your idea to draft a d-man, develop him for years and then hope he turns into a #1D? Or what does the bigger picture look like for you?

45 goal improvement will lead to competing a lot quicker than that.

rebuilding teams tend to trend up slightly, then suddenly jump up. With a whole year of McDavid and less injuries, this team will improve a lot next year.

and agian, i am not saying don't improve the team. I am saying don't trade Ebs, Halls, or Nuge just because we need a change in the core group.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I just want to make official public notice and declaration that I hereby guarantee, unequivocally, without conditions or reservations, that the Edmonton Oilers will make the playoffs in the 2016-17 season.

I am willing to bet all the avatars, v-cash, ownership of my profile, whatever else holds value in these unhallowed halls of hfboards.

I don't always make rash predictions, but when I do, they come true. Sometimes.

I have factored together a number of mathematical data, statistical data, CBA-related technobabble, free agency signing probability and available outlets for management dealings...

GUARANTEE. Playoffs, nothing less.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I just want to make official public notice and declaration that I hereby guarantee, unequivocally, without conditions or reservations, that the Edmonton Oilers will make the playoffs in the 2016-17 season.

I am willing to bet all the avatars, v-cash, ownership of my profile, whatever else holds value in these unhallowed halls of hfboards.

I have factored together a number of mathematical data, statistical data, CBA-related technobabble, free agency signing probability and available outlets for management dealings...

:handclap:

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I have been.............???

I have been saying this for the last 10 years............so next year I am predicting anything different?..............with a full year of McDavid?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Like who? Marron has played about 15 games, Sekera has been so so. Talbot has been good most of the season but was dreadful early in the year.]

That's three more NHLers in one off season than the previous regime managed in five.

Ah...So Chicago, La and alike care winning because of corey crawford, shaw, tanner pearson and not because of keith, doughty, seabrook, kane, etc.

Has nothing to do with what I wrote. But look at it this way: did Chicago trade away Kane, Toews or LA Kopitar or Brown to get where they are?

The above statement makes zero sense at all. We are going to trade for Vatanen and shattenkirk for Yak and pouliot. eh? Makes sense.

No idea what you're talking about here.

I don't know if you understand the basis of what a meaningful move is or not. You do not get meaningful players for garbage players, it simply does not happen and changing the bottom of the roster for the 4th time in five years is not meaningful at all.

You just listed three players above (a top six winger, a starting goaltender and a top four D) that were acquired for basically free. So I'm not sure how you can believe what you;re saying here.

No they don't we have shuffled the bottom holes endlessly and guys that play 15 mins a night do not have the effect that guys that play 20 plus do.

I don't know how this hasn't sunk in: shuffling bad hockey players around is going to lead nowhere. However, replacing bad hockey players with good ones will.

It is though, the top of of roster is filled with inconsistent, skilled players who are not physical at all, have a tough time battling for pucks, with no dmen at all that can advance the puck or run a pp. Even the skilled part is up for debate because we contine to be one of the lower scoring teams in the league and often just fold when the going gets tough.

Where's the evidence this is the fault of the top of the order?

If you think the Oilers are once again almost dead last in the league because of anton lander and mark fayne I don;t know what to say

Counterpoint: do you see a lot of good teams with players like Mark Fayne or Anton Lander or Korpikoski in prominent roles?

Yes, agreed about the defense, and you are going to fix this by???? Not trading anyone or value but doing a Harry Potter?

Again: are you reading anything I've written? There are ways to improve the team that don't involve massive trades of key players. You yourself gave three examples above.

We will simply not agree in that case on this issue, you feel to good teams are based on their worst players, I feel they are based on their best ones.

In future, please refrain from telling me what I beleive when it's clear you don't understand the argument I'm making.

And if you think Halls epic fall of the face of the ear5h 2nd half of the season had no bearing on the oilers, well have at it.

Well I was waiting for "but but but 41 games!" Glad you didn't let me down.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
What if the idiot contractor, let's call him MacLoweson, designed and built a house with all the fancy bells and whistles, but forgot to add a toilet, an oven, and a furnace.

I wouldn't tear down the house, but I'd be making damn sure that I add what the house needs so I'm not taking a dump into a bucket in -30 temperatures eating a microwaved TV dinner for Christmas in December.

Therein lies the problem with the Oilers. They have been built without essential components by a group of people who though they were smarter than the rest of the league.

That's it. What they're missing is more important than even an all star winger. They are missing, arguably, the most important piece needed on a good team. That piece is also the most difficult to get.

It's a complete schmozzle, and I don't know if it's even solvable. That the organization treated the problem so flippantly for so long is... Well, it's one of they're bigger failings.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
For me, it's not a matter of blowing it up. It's going into to the offseason with almost any and all offers on the table. Unlike previous years, all but one asset is potentially movable if there's a deal there. As early as last year, they still had 6 or more assets that were not even discussable.

It's also operating from a place in which Eberle and Nuge are not necessarily part of the plan and they view them as support players, not pillars.

This is how I think PC goes into the summer. It doesn't mean much will actually happen.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I think blowing it up is worse than staying the course. But both are bad options. A major acquisition on defense is needed no matter what.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I think blowing it up is worse than staying the course. But both are bad options. A major acquisition on defense is needed no matter what.

And a shake up in the core. I don't want to go into next season with all of Hall, Nuge and Ebs. I dont know if they are damaged or its just a case of too much finesse in the top 6 or 9 or what. I don't think the reasons even matter anymore.

I really do think one of them needs to go.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
And a shake up in the core. I don't want to go into next season with all of Hall, Nuge and Ebs. I dont know if they are damaged or its just a case of too much finesse in the top 6 or 9 or what. I don't think the reasons even matter anymore.

I really do think one of them needs to go.

Maybe, but if Yak+Pouliot and the 2016 1st can acquire two top 4 dmen then I don't think moving them would accomplish much. It's unlikely that we can get enough defensive help without moving one of those three, though.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Maybe, but if Yak+Pouliot and the 2016 1st can acquire two top 4 dmen then I don't think moving them would accomplish much. It's unlikely that we can get enough defensive help without moving one of those three, though.

Or trade the pick for D. that makes the most sense. I love how some want one of the core gone, but the problem with them is they have been constantly surrounded by other kids. So the answer is trade one of them now that they have matured, and draft another kid? WE don't need to move them, we need to get older.

Trade the pick, keep the core.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Or trade the pick for D. that makes the most sense. I love how some want one of the core gone, but the problem with them is they have been constantly surrounded by other kids. So the answer is trade one of them now that they have matured, and draft another kid? WE don't need to move them, we need to get older.

You seriously think that pick is gonna get us a franchise defenseman (cuz that's the type of Dman we need if we are going to keep this "core") all by itself?

The return on that pick unless it is Matthews (in which case you don't trade seeing as he is supposedly better than eichel) and one of hall eberle or nuge is the only offer that's gonna get you that #1 defenseman.

But by all means, let's keep trading for pardy's, grybas, and clendenings on the back end and hope for different results.

Insanity.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Trade the pick and one of the core (if it's a good deal). Don't move Ebs or Nuge just for the sake of it, but work real hard at making it happen.

We don't have to get into specifics. There is a very strong argument for the notion of changing the make up of the core on a 30th placed team.

This core has always had question marks around it. Many thought they were too small/soft right from the beginning.

There is nothing wrong with retooling the team if it's doable. They are not obligated to go forward with all of Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Hall, Nuge and Ebs. They are obligated to provide Mcdavid with the support that Hall, Nuge and Ebs were not.

Do whatever it takes to make it happen.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
You seriously think that pick is gonna get us a franchise defenseman (cuz that's the type of Dman we need if we are going to keep this "core") all by itself?

The return on that pick unless it is Matthews (in which case you don't trade seeing as he is supposedly better than eichel) and one of hall eberle or nuge is the only offer that's gonna get you that #1 defenseman.

But by all means, let's keep trading for pardy's, grybas, and clendenings on the back end and hope for different results.

Insanity.

The pick will get a lot. We dont' need the best Dman in the league, we just need a solid top 2 guy. The pick will get that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00