We really need another defenseman

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
Saw/Read this from Katie Strang's ESPN chat:

Katie Strang of ESPN: (chat) Strang thinks the Islanders could be a logical trading partner for the Bruins who could be looking to trade Johnny Boychuk or Matt Bartkowski. The Islanders would like to make a trade to upgrade their defense. Strang thinks that Jack Capuano (NYI) and Randy Carlyle (TOR) are coaches with the shortest leash. Strang thinks that Johnny Oduya is the likely candidate to be moved by the Blackhawks to get under the salary cap.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
At 6' 4" 214 lbs Reinhart has the size to be here and we may be willing to live with his learning curve especially if he is a fast learner.

With the forward depth it does say trade but why trade a kid who is still maturing?

In theory you can make alot of swaps but teams don't let go of top four d men for average forwards.

The upgrade in goal plus Grabo Kulemin adds D as well and I think alot of teams wish they had our roster now.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Everything depends. Yes, we would like to upgrade the D. No, there are no true upgrades currently available.

I think Snow is hoping that, with improved goaltending and forward depth, the Isles can get by with this defense until somebody becomes available.

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
I agree Kasper. I think this D will be OK. Not great, OK.

Might as well see what they have/got before assuming they will suck again. Until somebody is available for the right price then make the trade if need be.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I think what we get upset about is that we know that one more defenseman will make this team really, really good and it's frustrating that they haven't been able to acquire one. We need a Wisniewski-like trade.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Saw/Read this from Katie Strang's ESPN chat:

Katie Strang of ESPN: (chat) Strang thinks the Islanders could be a logical trading partner for the Bruins who could be looking to trade Johnny Boychuk or Matt Bartkowski. The Islanders would like to make a trade to upgrade their defense. Strang thinks that Jack Capuano (NYI) and Randy Carlyle (TOR) are coaches with the shortest leash. Strang thinks that Johnny Oduya is the likely candidate to be moved by the Blackhawks to get under the salary cap.

They better make a deal for someone. You would think after the Nabokov disaster last year where everyone except Snow knew they needed to upgrade their goaltending that he would learn.

You cannot go into this season with any of Brenann/Donovan/Strait/Carkner as a regular. They all suck something fierce.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
They better make a deal for someone. You would think after the Nabokov disaster last year where everyone except Snow knew they needed to upgrade their goaltending that he would learn.

You cannot go into this season with any of Brenann/Donovan/Strait/Carkner as a regular. They all suck something fierce.

You're assuming someone is available. Boston may move Boychuck, in which case I think Snow would be involved. Otherwise, who? Nick Leddy is not a top-4 defenseman yet. Who else is rumored to be on the move?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
You're assuming someone is available. Boston may move Boychuck, in which case I think Snow would be involved. Otherwise, who? Nick Leddy is not a top-4 defenseman yet. Who else is rumored to be on the move?

Boston is playing with the idea of moving one of Boychuck/McQuaid/Bartowski, also Chicago is willing to move Leddy.

Leddy may not be ready as a top 4 dman yet but you wouldn't need him to be. Slot him and Reinhart on the bottom pairing, have Demonic as your top and Lubo/Hickey as your middle pairing.

To me that's good enough to get the season rolling and Reinhart should be progressing well through the season and with any luck Leddy as well.

I want to see them hitting their stride Nov/Dec. Not dying off like usual.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
I agree Eklund has a zero percent accuracy ratio when it comes to the islanders. But, this one actually makes a lot of sense. I think there's a good chance Krug gets traded and we make as good a sense as anyone for a trading partner. So, my question remains, what do you think of Krug compared to Leddy, Oduya and others. What would you give up for him?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Eklund reporting Isles talking with Bruins about Torrey Krug. Who would you give up for him? I am hoping Matt Martin goes the other way as I really see him as the odd man out. He would fit in the Bruins style of play. I hope we don't add Grabner to the mix and even though everyone hates him, i'd give bailey one more year. With so many d- prospects, i'm sure they will want one back. Does Martin/Donovan get it done?

Probably Martin or some other cheap bottom six player. They have to save cap money so that might be all it takes.

Honestly though, Isles are probably pushing for Boychuk, B's said no, so Isles check in to see how much Krug would cost. Garth can still circle back to Boychuk because Boston has to do something to get under the cap.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Eklund also says the B's are trying to clear space for Ryan O'Reilly (?!?!??!?) and I just don't see that happening.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I agree Eklund has a zero percent accuracy ratio when it comes to the islanders. But, this one actually makes a lot of sense. I think there's a good chance Krug gets traded and we make as good a sense as anyone for a trading partner. So, my question remains, what do you think of Krug compared to Leddy, Oduya and others. What would you give up for him?

I'd like it if Eklund was right on this but how is he on the defensive side of the puck? He puts up points but I'm more concerned with keeping pucks out of the net than scoring.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
Everything depends. Yes, we would like to upgrade the D. No, there are no true upgrades currently available.

I think Snow is hoping that, with improved goaltending and forward depth, the Isles can get by with this defense until somebody becomes available.
I also think with the additions/development of Donovan, Brennan, Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield etc. we've got better depth (albeit unproven) to protect against injuries to our d(Visnovsky). Cappy's got to watch Visnovsky's ice time and can't overplay him so he's got to be rotating Donovan, Brennan, Carkner, Mayfield, etc as needed or else we'll be in for a replay of last season.

Boston is playing with the idea of moving one of Boychuck/McQuaid/Bartowski, also Chicago is willing to move Leddy.

Leddy may not be ready as a top 4 dman yet but you wouldn't need him to be. Slot him and Reinhart on the bottom pairing, have Demonic as your top and Lubo/Hickey as your middle pairing.

To me that's good enough to get the season rolling and Reinhart should be progressing well through the season and with any luck Leddy as well.

I want to see them hitting their stride Nov/Dec. Not dying off like usual.
Ottawa's got some depth on d and I heard a lot of the Ottawa media talking about Methot's contract issues and potential availability. Also a guy like Patrick Weircoch may be available as well.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Yea... he was out there and his name is Barry Trotz. Missed the boat on that one.

Ya. It all starts with snow. I we had a GM capable of doing his job, aka not snow, we might've actually got a real coach which would've made me :D, but since Snow is GM and follows the philosophy of "If you bang your head against a brick wall, that wall will eventually break," I am :cry:.

Sideshow Bob

Nov 18, 2008
springfield prison
I think what we get upset about is that we know that one more defenseman will make this team really, really good and it's frustrating that they haven't been able to acquire one. We need a Wisniewski-like trade.

agree with the first part.
wisniewski-like trade? a trade for a player who's cap hit exceeds his actual salary? that's snow/wangs specialty! I was unimpressed with him during his brief tenure here, and he didn't last a full season. He is only remembered for his hand gesture. I'd like to add someone of higher caliber.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I threw Jello at the wall and a piece with Martin's name stuck. That's how Eklund got his rumor.

My brother actually met Eklund once at one of the Drafts he was covering, and said Eklund only reports the things he hears. Whether it be inquisitions or serious trade talks. The Isles could be inquiring about Krug, but it may not be as serious as other reporters make their reports to be.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
This team needs TWO defensemen. One top-4 and one bottom pairing. We're kidding ourselves if we think we need anything less than that.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
My brother actually met Eklund once at one of the Drafts he was covering, and said Eklund only reports the things he hears. Whether it be inquisitions or serious trade talks. The Isles could be inquiring about Krug, but it may not be as serious as other reporters make their reports to be.

If you walked up to him and told him you heard X for Y he would report it.

So yes I believe he reports what he hears. No I don't think he cares where it comes from. Quoting his own words, "I only report what I hear."

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

The man behind Eklund, I'm sure he's a nice guy. In regards to his rumors, what's his success rate? It's got to be below 10% correct.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The man behind Eklund, I'm sure he's a nice guy. In regards to his rumors, what's his success rate? It's got to be below 10% correct.

If what the poster said is true (and honestly I have no reason to doubt him), then it sounds like Eklund reports EVERY little thing he hears--instead of vetting it. Which would make sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00