We really need another defenseman

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
As of right now our defense should look something like this:

de Haan-Hamonic
Reinhart/Hickey-Visnovsky
Hickey/Strait-Brennan

Now I'm fine with the first pairing. My problem is with what comes after that. I think Reinhart could be a solid defender but do we really want to throw a rookie into a big role like that and hope he plays solid? Let's say he does start the year with the Isles on the second pairing with Vis. That would knock Hickey down to the third pairing where he belongs in my opinion. I'd rather have Brennan than Strait so that fills out our defense. This is probably our best lineup we can put together with what we have and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Things can and do go wrong and that is what I'm worried about. There are too many question marks on this team in terms of defense. What is Reinhart isn't ready for the NHL? What if Visnovky gets hurt? Can Hickey continue to play solid? Can Brennan put it together in the NHL? If the first two are true (which are the most likely and would have the biggest impact) we are left with this:

de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Brennan
Strait-Czuczman/Carkner/Donovan

That is a serious issue. Even if you limit Reinhart's playing time that would give Hickey top 4 minutes which I don't think is a good situation for him or the Isles. Even if Reinhart is fine and Visnovky is the only one out that forces us to play a mediocre 7th defenseman. It isn't a good situation to be in.

We have to win this season and make the playoffs. We can't afford to have problems this season that set us back. The offense is fine and goaltending is improved but this defensive situation scares me. One issue and the entire defense is in trouble. I know I'm talking about worst case scenarios here but we literally have no solid backup plan. We really need to add someone to play on the third pairing and can play on the second if needed. We can't afford to go into the regular season with these kind of issues.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If Vis goes down, you basically have nothing to run your PP with. Even if Reinhart is as great as the youth brigade insist he is, he isn't gonna help you there.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I was driving to Costco this afternoon and the NYI season preview replay was on Sirius/XM. Lucky coincidence, I suppose.

One of the most interesting numbers is that the Islanders were 16th in shots allowed and 30th in goals allowed. Normally, the two numbers are close. Like 21st in shots allowed, 23rd in goals allowed.

We had something like an .898 collective save percentage. Either our D allowed a lot of goals from prime scoring areas, or our goaltenders sucked. Having watched 80 games last season, I'll lean to the second option.

Would I want to add a good defenseman to the mix, absolutely. However, I think we have underrated our defensemen to a high degree.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I was driving to Costco this afternoon and the NYI season preview replay was on Sirius/XM. Lucky coincidence, I suppose.

One of the most interesting numbers is that the Islanders were 16th in shots allowed and 30th in goals allowed. Normally, the two numbers are close. Like 21st in shots allowed, 23rd in goals allowed.

We had something like an .898 collective save percentage. Either our D allowed a lot of goals from prime scoring areas, or our goaltenders sucked. Having watched 80 games last season, I'll lean to the second option.

Would I want to add a good defenseman to the mix, absolutely. However, I think we have underrated our defensemen to a high degree.

There are charts that document this here: http://war-on-ice.com/

You can see our shooting % and the shooting % against, as well as where we let up the most shots compared to the rest of the NHL. It's certainly interesting.

As for the OP, I think a lot depends on how long they stay healthy or could come back. I think Czuczman did a fine job in his small time on the Island, and Mayfield wasn't too shabby either (both are better than Carkner). This might be the first time we have real depth, at least for the bottom pairing, in a long time. I'm less concerned this season about our defense, but I'd still love to get someone else. There just isn't a whole lot available.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It is an issue for sure. None of us can turn a blind eye to it. It's known league-wide were vulnerable. Playing these "What If" scenarios out can only drive us nuts. I believe we have a wildcard team right now, hey a playoff birth would be a great way to segue into Barclay.

All these expectations=dissapointments. The "rebuild" thats being going on forever, I believe is actually happening now. If theres anything to celebrate it's that were actually going to be competitive in a season or two. In the meantime, all our youth will develop their game and with our prospect pool, it's not farfetched to say we'll be running 4 very competent and dangerous lines.

Vis is no permanent solution, we knew that from the get-go. Snow is going to play the market, no doubt. Whether we are content with his choices is a different story. I believe we wouldv'e acquired the serviceable skilled D Man we needed during free agency if Garth had discretion over spending. I think it's 50/50 that we may send a few guys we like packing in order to acquire a top-4 D or we may just bring guys up from Bridgeport when injuries happen. . .

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I would be surprised if Snow is not continuing to shop for a solid, 2nd pairing defenseman.
Isles are counting too heavily on 38 yr old Lubo to stay healthy.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I think Brennan/Strait are going to be the surprise third pairing out of camp. I think there will be a lot more penalties called this season and we will need Brennan on the second PP and Strait on the PK. I'm calling it now, we'll see if I'm right in a few weeks. I do agree though if Vis goes down our PP will suffer.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think Brennan/Strait are going to be the surprise third pairing out of camp. I think there will be a lot more penalties called this season and we will need Brennan on the second PP and Strait on the PK. I'm calling it now, we'll see if I'm right in a few weeks. I do agree though if Vis goes down our PP will suffer.

You think we will see a Lubo/Hickey second pairing again? I have hopes for an upgrade on that second pairing.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
You think we will see a Lubo/Hickey second pairing again? I have hopes for an upgrade on that second pairing.
Yes, I thought Lubo/Hickey pairing played great in the past. The big question mark is how long will Lubo last. I think Reinhart starts the season in BP but with injuries he will be first or second call up.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If you want to build your D through the draft, you'll have to deal with these "what if" scenarios at some point.

Personally, I like the D. A lot actually.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I would be surprised if Snow is not continuing to shop for a solid, 2nd pairing defenseman.
Isles are counting too heavily on 38 yr old Lubo to stay healthy.

I think I saw a tweet about the Blackhawks and moving Leddy to select interested teams...one being the isles. Did you read anything about this?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think I saw a tweet about the Blackhawks and moving Leddy to select interested teams...one being the isles. Did you read anything about this?

I saw Ferraro's tweet that Leddy was the player the Hawks were looking to move.
I had not seen anything about the isles being in the mix.

Several weeks ago, Staple answered a tweet about MDZ. Sounds like the isles want a quality defenseman, someone who does not need sheltered mins. I am not sure 23 yr old Leddy, still going thru growing pains, is the player the isles would look to bring in.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

How about both? Hamonic just said the defense was an issue last year (I respect his honesty very much). He also mentioned the goaltending was a huge hole. He knows the defense has to find the solution in itself for the most part as Snow is having difficulties getting that extra part they need in case Vis goes down, or in case Griffon does not have a CdH opening season.

I 100% agree with Hamonic, with much applause.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I saw Ferraro's tweet that Leddy was the player the Hawks were looking to move.
I had not seen anything about the isles being in the mix.

Several weeks ago, Staple answered a tweet about MDZ. Sounds like the isles want a quality defenseman, someone who does not need sheltered mins. I am not sure 23 yr old Leddy, still going thru growing pains, is the player the isles would look to bring in.

And provided Detroit's reputation developing players, if they are dumping a kid, I would wonder why they gave up on him.

Edit - duh, Chicago not Detroit.

Last edited:

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Are there any D-men left out there on the market? Or can there be any players who might be put on waivers we might pick up?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Leddy or Oduya is likely getting moved from all the talk here in Chicago

Most expect it to be Leddy at this point for a variety of reasons

1) Why break up one of the best top 4's in NHL when team is gunning for cup in 2015?
2) Q again showed he had no trust for Leddy in playoffs and at this point Q likely doesn't want to use 2015 as Leddy's trial by fire in top 4
3) Hawks have guys like Clendening and Fournier in AHL for offensive D prospect and Rundblad on NHL roster who can bring some of Leddy's attributes
4) He will be costly RFA to sign next summer during cap crunch

Thing is though Leddy is still young and Bowman likes his skillset so some question if he will move him and think Oduya as pending UFA is more likely. Also moving Oduya would mean Leddy gets his chance as top 4 defender with RFA status next summer

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Another potential trade partner could be Columbus.

Their offense has taken a hit with Horton having a back injury and the Johansen contract mess .A slow start by Columbus, could have them searching for a scorer.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Leddy or Oduya is likely getting moved from all the talk here in Chicago

Most expect it to be Leddy at this point for a variety of reasons

1) Why break up one of the best top 4's in NHL when team is gunning for cup in 2015?
2) Q again showed he had no trust for Leddy in playoffs and at this point Q likely doesn't want to use 2015 as Leddy's trial by fire in top 4
3) Hawks have guys like Clendening and Fournier in AHL for offensive D prospect and Rundblad on NHL roster who can bring some of Leddy's attributes
4) He will be costly RFA to sign next summer during cap crunch

Thing is though Leddy is still young and Bowman likes his skillset so some question if he will move him and think Oduya as pending UFA is more likely. Also moving Oduya would mean Leddy gets his chance as top 4 defender with RFA status next summer

Leddy solves no problems on the Island. The last thing we need is yet another smallish inexperienced dman. We have our own group of inexperienced offensive dmen to deal with (de Haan, Donovan, Brennan) as well as a host of other kids to break in (Reinhart). When you see Hamonic, who is still relatively young, be viewed as the graybeard of the Isles defense, you know you have a problem.

I have never liked Oduya but I do think he would at least be the sort of guy Snow is pursuing. I don't think Chicago will move him though.

I think Bob Mackenzie's comments were quite clear the other day. Leddy will likely be the odd man out in Chicago's situation, and Chicago does not appear to be interested in moving Oduya. And, since Leddy is not going to be of interest to the Isles, not much to talk about with regard to the Hawks.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Are there any D-men left out there on the market? Or can there be any players who might be put on waivers we might pick up?

I don't think help is coming.

IMO, Isles are past the time when waiver castoffs would be much help.

There are guys out there for trade but they are all marginal (e.g., Franson, Scuderi), too unproven (Leddy), redundant with players we already have (Franson, Leddy), or prohibitively expensive (Boychuk).

Its not an ideal situation, but the we'll need to solve the problem from within (IMO).

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I don't think help is coming.

IMO, Isles are past the time when waiver castoffs would be much help.

There are guys out there for trade but they are all marginal (e.g., Franson, Scuderi), too unproven (Leddy), redundant with players we already have (Franson, Leddy), or prohibitively expensive (Boychuk).

Its not an ideal situation, but the we'll need to solve the problem from within (IMO).

I agree. A lot of this season will hinge on how well Reinhart adapts to the NHL and how fast he can do so. De Haan will need to be the stabilizing presence he was last season as well.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Eklund reporting Isles talking with Bruins about Torrey Krug. Who would you give up for him? I am hoping Matt Martin goes the other way as I really see him as the odd man out. He would fit in the Bruins style of play. I hope we don't add Grabner to the mix and even though everyone hates him, i'd give bailey one more year. With so many d- prospects, i'm sure they will want one back. Does Martin/Donovan get it done?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Eklund reporting Isles talking with Bruins about Torrey Krug. Who would you give up for him? I am hoping Matt Martin goes the other way as I really see him as the odd man out. He would fit in the Bruins style of play. I hope we don't add Grabner to the mix and even though everyone hates him, i'd give bailey one more year. With so many d- prospects, i'm sure they will want one back. Does Martin/Donovan get it done?
I wouldn't put much stock in what Eklund posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad