We need to talk about Brendan Smith (Update: I jinxed him hard)

dangledangledeke

Kindl's advanced stats are good, yes. The only big difference between say, Kindl and Smith, is their Zone Starts. With Kindl second to only Mike Green in Offensive Zone Starts. Kindl and Smith are nearly identical in C/60. That said, I haven't spent enough energy digging deep on him. I do wonder if there's more to #4 than the eye test has told us.

The thing is, there's this stigma towards high event players. Especially so with high event defensemen. For my money, I'd rather have a guy that will create a lot more offense at the expense of a little less defense. If you have the puck, they can't score.

Just like it's not productive to rely solely on say, Corsi, It's also not exactly productive to say "Advanced stats suck for defenseman, don't use them!". You use them to help tell a story. One stat won't tell you the story, but if you start bouncing stats around you start to develop a picture. It never hurts to have information and there's a lot of it out there to learn from.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Kindl's advanced stats are good, yes. The only big difference between say, Kindl and Smith, is their Zone Starts. With Kindl second to only Mike Green in Offensive Zone Starts. Kindl and Smith are nearly identical in C/60. That said, I haven't spent enough energy digging deep on him. I do wonder if there's more to #4 than the eye test has told us.

I'm fairly sure most plays don't occur off zone starts. Changes are happening on the fly with no clear O-Zone or D-Zone metric.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wonder where that myth of "1 bad play in 20 games" is coming from.

Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith and Ryan Suter cannot make that claim...

It is in a similarly laughable place as the notion directly below this.

he's doing good if he doesn't make one bad play per period

Smith has a lot of solid games, but his crucial errors are getting annoying to say the least. Though not nearly with the frequency some want to make it out to be.

For instance just as an example during the we blow every third period lead stretch in November. We blew two consecutive games because DK shot the puck out for a delay of game in the third period. We would have gone on a four or five page diatribe if you know who had done that.

It is what it is at this point. I would have benched him tonight if Kronner was healthy for this game.

But it is also fair to say outside of his two playoff series the last couple years this is the best Smith has played since his initial callup. He looks better under Blashill and now he gets his big chance on the PP. If he doesn't do something to really establish his position over the next month, his time in Detroit is coming to a close soon. Heck he might want that...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I have to think the advanced stats just aren't there for defensemen yet. At least not for the defensive side.

Otherwise Smith is better than Kronwall and is anyone really going to take that position? ****, Ericsson is better than Kronwall at ES P/60. Kindl has the best Corsi AND is the best suppressor of high danger chances of all our d-men this season. Is that really what we're going with? When the stats are that far out of reality, you have to shelve them for a bit until you find something better.

Smith better than Kronwall this year isnt a massive stretch. Not necessarily better but lets not pretend Kronwall is playing as a clear number one like he has in years past. You also have to consider that Kronwall's deployment is tougher than Smiths so that makes up for some of that gap of Kronwall being better. Kindl's sample size is much smaller and he is deployed even easier than Smith.

I think the eye test and the stats match up for me pretty well on Smith this year. Hes still prone to some mistakes (though less than years past) but his possession game has went up a notch and he has improved as a player overall. The stats say pretty decent number 4 and in my opinion he has played like that.Theres definitely some bias against him from years past, the guy has improved a lot. I'm sure for a lot of people if the advanced stats supported their argument that hes been brutal instead of that hes played pretty well, a lot more people would be using them in their argument.

Aug 6, 2012
Brendan Smith is very good. Occasional brain farts are his only problem... very occasional recently.

I'm not surprised the Smith-Green pairing is killing it.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Brendan Smith, offensive defenseman dynamo with four more points than Ericsson.

On pace for a career best season of 20 points. Six year contract coming right up?

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think it obvious he's improved a lot this year. I like Brendan but I understand the negativity around him. His bonehead plays have often seemed to lead to disaster which amplifies them. Some other guys get away with an errant pass or poor positioning on a play but Smith's often ended up in a goal. But he really does seem to be limiting them this year

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He's not. His two icing plays against Boston where he tried to make a deep pass resulted in two goals against.

umm what claypool?

so the centre who couldnt win a faceoff despite his millions, the wingers who dont know how to defend on a defensive zone faceoff in the nhl or the goalie who chose not to stop the puck dont have a role?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Smith definitely is not a good player, however he has been better for the last few months, which the advanced stats seem to backup. We all know he can’t keep it up though.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
umm what claypool?

so the centre who couldnt win a faceoff despite his millions, the wingers who dont know how to defend on a defensive zone faceoff in the nhl or the goalie who chose not to stop the puck dont have a role?

Pretty sure the center won the face off and he still iced it

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Smith has improved his play this year and been much more consistent. Still room for improvement. Especially in the decision making and discipline department obviously. He'll never be a top pairing guy. But hopefully he can evolve into a solid 2nd pairing offensive d-man.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
He's not. His two icing plays against Boston where he tried to make a deep pass resulted in two goals against.

Dekeyser made a defensive zone turnover which led directly to a Boston goal....not a peep on these boards about it. But that's because #65 isn't on the official HFB Whipping Boy list, unlike #2.

Smith isn't Lidstrom and never will be, but way too many people on here treat him (and Quincey even more so) like its still 2013.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad