We need to talk about Brendan Smith (Update: I jinxed him hard)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Since December 18th, an 8 game span, he has recorded 7 points (2 goals, 5 assists). He's had points in 6 of those 8 games. None of those have come on the powerplay.

2Xja43O.jpg

In his previous 23 games, he recorded 3 points.

He's officially hot and generating offense. Has Smith turned the corner? Is this a sign of things to come or is he teasing us?

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada
8 games shouldn't be enough to convince anyone that he's turned a corner. I think he'll cool down soon. This is the guy that got dangled by Charlie Coyle a few games back so it's not like he's playing otherworldly.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Hopefully he keeps it up. But we've seen Smith have hot streaks before, looking like he was on the cusp of a breakout, only to regress into the player we've come to expect. So I'll remain skeptical for the time being.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i think we need to talk about how we chose hossa over franzen.

but yeah, smith has played really well lately. didn't even realize he had picked up so many points lately.

will we ever see him on the powerplay?

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Wow! I've missed half of those games didn't realize he has been producing so well, recently. I like the physical element of his game as well. Like the Chipchura fight. Let's hope he continues to produce.

Aug 6, 2012
Even if he is teasing us, he's proven to be a quality defenseman to plant on your bottom pair. He has driven plenty of possession as well if I'm not mistaken.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Kindl was averaging a little over a minute of PP time when he was playing. Could probably slot that time out to Smith, if he's still driving offense like he has lately.

It will also be interesting to see how this works out when Quincey is back. If you include Quincey in the mix, Smith works out to be the #6 defender. Kronwall, DeKeyser, Green, Ericsson, Quincey, Smith.

Now I'm not a huge Smith fan, but... and this is a big but, if he's still helping produce offense, you simply can't ignore that on an offensively starved blueline.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think he'll cool down as well. He's still really shaky in his own zone and his positioning is practically non-existent. He's at least making himself useful with his offensive contributions.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
A lot of us had high hopes for him when he was still a prospect, and it's great if he finally is getting his big breakthrough. If not, the hot streak will at least benefit his trade value.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Is there any evidence to suggest that his recent production is anything more than a fluke?

He certainly does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

We have and he's clueless. To be an effective power play defenseman you have to quaterback the point. Smith can't handle defensive pressure near the blue line, and he can't walk the line either. He's just not a smart player.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I think he's finally playing "not scared." Babs had the guy scared to death, loss of confidence.

He also has an excellent chemistry with Datsyuk. I noticed this a couple of years ago.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Is there any evidence to suggest that his recent production is anything more than a fluke?

He certainly does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Sure he does. With a new coach and some roster tweaks, I think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, but especially younger players.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Only on the Wings is a 26 year old a "younger" player who needs time and space to define himself. The guy's always had the raw tools to be a decent player, maybe he's putting it together, more likely it's a tease and he is what he is. Take it while we can get it, though, and ride the horse until it collapses.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Only on the Wings is a 26 year old a "younger" player who needs time and space to define himself. The guy's always had the raw tools to be a decent player, maybe he's putting it together, more likely it's a tease and he is what he is. Take it while we can get it, though, and ride the horse until it collapses.

FWIW, Kronwall didn't establish himself in the NHL until age 26, Ericsson until age 26, Franzen was a 4th liner until age 28 when he randomly out of nowhere scored like 20 goals in 20 games or whatever, Abdelkader is working on his 2nd straight 20 goal/40 point season after somewhat breaking out at age 27 last year, Filppula was a ~40 point guy until age 27 when he put up 66 points, etc.

So, not like it would really be all that unprecedented around here.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Well I think it's virtually guaranteed that he will cool down compared to the 7 points per 8 games pace. But nonetheless I'm excited by the new, very recent, Smith play, and you can call me cautiously optimistic about him.

At least between him and Kindl you can no longer call it a toss up

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I recall during the 24/7 series where he went out for drinks with a few of the boys and his comment was that he always tries to get Pav the puck because there's a good shot you will get a secondary assist. He did have a pass on a recent Datsyuk goal that demonstrated pretty nice vision. Perhaps it has taken him all this time to identify Datsyuk in games and get him the puck. :naughty:

Actual Thought*

He is 26. I would expect him to peak out over the next couple of years. I don't know that he will ever reach expectations but he should have his best years ahead of him still. NHL defenceman is a hard job to learn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad