We need to talk about Brendan Smith (Update: I jinxed him hard)

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
IIRC, XO had two dumb icings last game and everyone thinks he played awesome (personally I think he's sucked since being called up but everyone seems to disagree).

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Because smith took a dumb icing

Your not gonna win every single face off

and the wingers who failed to do their job or the goalie who chose not to stop the puck?

blaming a guy for causing a bad faceoff that lead to a goal seems like its based solely on ones dislike for him

come on

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Smith has been pretty good for the last two months. Wish he was doing more with his recent PP time, they do generally create chances with him out there which is a massive improvement over Kindl who is completely hit or miss in that regard.

He took too long, his detractors will always be massive. I hope he can keep up his good play for the rest of the year. He has been very good the last two post-seasons too which is positive. He looks a lot better in Blashill's system. I will be curious what they do when Big E and Kronner are back.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Smith has been pretty good for the last two months. Wish he was doing more with his recent PP time, they do generally create chances with him out there which is a massive improvement over Kindl who is completely hit or miss in that regard.

He took too long, his detractors will always be massive. I hope he can keep up his good play for the rest of the year. He has been very good the last two post-seasons too which is positive. He looks a lot better in Blashill's system. I will be curious what they do when Big E and Kronner are back.

I still think he lost all confidence under Babcock. :dunno:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I'm the biggest Smith detractor there is and I will admit he's been playing well lately. He has been making good decisions with the puck on his stick, for the most part. I'm honestly surprised he doesn't have twice as many points as he does.

At the same time, he still has no instinct to play defense. His positioning is bad, he chooses to pressure at bad times, and over-rates his ability to eat pucks on the boards. I'm honestly surprised we're not burned more often with him on the ice.

So it's a wash. He's not getting it done offensively when it seems like he should be and we're not getting scored on when he's out there like we should.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I still think he lost all confidence under Babcock. :dunno:

No doubt. He started out as a disaster at Wisconsin but showed improvement each year under Mike Eaves (he was a Hobey Baker nominee the same year as Nyquist). He continued to improve at GR then ran in to the stone wall of Babs.

This year is a salvage project and it looks encouraging so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad