We need better goalie

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
If Howard doesn't get signed, we're going to look like Flyer fans. Begging to get rid of our "average" goalie...just to see him put up the same stats, or better (because the defense here is abysmal...and that's giving it too much credit). After we get our wish, bringing up a rookie goalie, and watch him get Masonified for a season, or two...we'll be just like how the Flyer fans are now with Bobrovsky: begging for our old goalie back.

Get something good. And when you have it? You want something better because you see teams with Rinne. Quick. And lundqvist. Not all the goalies are going to be like that. But since Howard isn't like those three...he's just "average". May as well low ball his contract, or let him walk. Why? He hasn't accomplished greatness in the short career he's had with this junk team. These guys took about 5 or more seasons with good teams to get their hardware. The goalies can't do it alone.

We get our (seems to be the general consensus here) wish and let Howard go to another team and watch him succeed? I'm telling you...we're all going to be sour grapes. All the while Mrazek will be having the same issues Howard has had.

His own team screening him.
Constant cross crease one timers getting by like nobodies business.
odd man rush city.
Turn overs point blank like they for got who's team they play for.

We wont mention the positioning. An rest assured...Mrazek will have weaknesses just like Howard does.

Mrazek may have a higher ceiling, that's not confirmed...that's just our speculation. But he's not going to taking this team anywhere. No goalie is. Not even Hasek in his prime would be able to take this defense to the Cup.

As for last night? People really like to undermine what a goalie can do for a team, and what they do to the other. The shots were 24/10 Vancouver at one point. Howard made, at that point, 3 point blank stops...robbed Burrows, and Garrison (this dude was at the top of the slot..he has a bomb...point blank slapper and Howie stoned him). These are key stops.

Not to mention he had other good stops, not routine, but good. The rest where routine. But the point I'm getting is this: After those point blank chances. THat glove save. That Garrison save...Not only does that keep you in the game, but that demoralizes the other team. Grind away, get a goal? That's a win. Goal tending can do that. When the Shots were 24/10 at one point, and we caught up a little in shots and scored...you haves to credit Howard for holding the fort and frustrating the other team. Big saves will do that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Howard's a great option as long as you don't lock him up to a contract that makes him completely unappealing in a trade if things go south or somebody better comes along.

On a reasonable deal and you either end up with a tandem (my preference) or you can trade from a position of strength. So it's hard to complain unless he's crippling your options.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Problem with this team in the net. Jimmy probably has career worst season . Team fill not comfortable with backups. Red Wings needs to trade for proven keeper and split his time with Howard

Jimmys not the problem try more like we need a better Defense? And who would you suggest the we get for a Goaltender that Is proven and wont cost us an arm and a leg. Ryan Miller He's not the answer Roberto Luongo His contract would kill us Jonas Hiller maybe dont think he's the answer. Jimmys numbers now are about at his career average he Is fine.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Amongst goalies who have played at least 20 games, Howard is 5th in save percentage---a category in which he is beating out Mindfly's precious Carey Price---and 6th in GAA.

RedWingsNow*

Jimmy is a good goalie. Above average/good.

And that's about it.

I'm not a fan of his playoff work, though, and with young Mrazek pushing for a job in the next two years, I'm not in favor of locking up Howard for 5-6 years at $5M a pop.

I know that having a reasonable criticism of a player makes you a hater to some of you guys, but whatever. I call it like i see it :laugh:

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Jimmy is a good goalie. Above average/good.

And that's about it.

I'm not a fan of his playoff work, though, and with young Mrazek pushing for a job in the next two years, I'm not in favor of locking up Howard for 5-6 years at $5M a pop.

I know that having a reasonable criticism of a player makes you a hater to some of you guys, but whatever. I call it like i see it :laugh:

I agree. As much as I like Howard, I don't want to sign him for that much only to hear "you can't have a five million dollar goalie riding the bench," when the eventual goalie competition begins. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer because I'm not sure if Howard is willing to take less. Holland has got a mess on his hands with this team and all of the bad contracts he's given out.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Howard is a great goalie he's just struggled with his consistency. Some nights he's not good and let's in a couple softies and other nights he plays like he did last night against Vancouver and makes spectacular saves.

Tell me one goalie who doesn't. The whole "Howard lets in softies" this is ridiculous. Every single goalie in the NHL lets in softies. It is part of the gig.

r7carlson24

Mar 15, 2013
I agree. As much as I like Howard, I don't want to sign him for that much only to hear "you can't have a five million dollar goalie riding the bench," when the eventual goalie competition begins. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer because I'm not sure if Howard is willing to take less. Holland has got a mess on his hands with this team and all of the bad contracts he's given out.

I'm surprised there's this much concern about Howard as our goalie. As many others have stated he hasn't carried this team on his back to a Stanley Cup. However, there are very few goalies who can do that. Rinne couldn't do it, Luongo could never do it, Lundqvist, Miller and on and on. Goaltender is about the least of my worries here. If you want to pay top dollar for one of the "all-star" goalies you're going to take away from being able to spend money elsewhere.

I have no issue with locking up Howard for another 4-5 years. I'd be more in favor of a cap hit of about $4.5 million max, but I won't get too upset if it's about $5 million.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm surprised there's this much concern about Howard as our goalie. As many others have stated he hasn't carried this team on his back to a Stanley Cup. However, there are very few goalies who can do that. Rinne couldn't do it, Luongo could never do it, Lundqvist, Miller and on and on. Goaltender is about the least of my worries here. If you want to pay top dollar for one of the "all-star" goalies you're going to take away from being able to spend money elsewhere.

I have no issue with locking up Howard for another 4-5 years. I'd be more in favor of a cap hit of about $4.5 million max, but I won't get too upset if it's about $5 million.

Sounds like Jimmy Howards deal Is going to be worth any thing from 6 years @ $30 Million or 7 years @ $35 million so he will be getting $5 million per season we just dont know If it's for 6 or 7 years yet And Ken Holland Is still trying to lock up Brunner and Filppula as well.

Last edited:

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Any interest in Michigan hero Ryan Miller? he is signed next year, would likely take a pay cut to resign there and he he could mentor Mrazek for 2-3 more years until he is ready. Howard would obviously be going back to Buffalo. What else would you offer?

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

Some people here won't consider Howard an OK goalie until he proves that he can indeed carry the Wings entirely on his back. It bothers those people not at all that, as you've said, no goalie in the league can do so, nor that no Red Wings goalie in their lifetime has been able to do so.

Apparently they want unspecified ultra-mega-cyborg goalie #873 in net instead.

Any interest in Michigan hero Ryan Miller? he is signed next year, would likely take a pay cut to resign there and he he could mentor Mrazek for 2-3 more years until he is ready. Howard would obviously be going back to Buffalo. What else would you offer?

Miller is nothing special. He's older than Howard and if he's better, it's by a marginal amount that wouldn't justify the extra price. He is completely overrated by some Wings fans purely by stint of him being from Michigan.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's Buffalo who adds if there will be a trade. Same level goalies, and we have the younger one. Miller would fit better with Mrazek age-vise, can't deny that.

r7carlson24

Mar 15, 2013
Some people here won't consider Howard an OK goalie until he proves that he can indeed carry the Wings entirely on his back. It bothers those people not at all that, as you've said, no goalie in the league can do so, nor that no Red Wings goalie in their lifetime has been able to do so.

Apparently they want unspecified ultra-mega-cyborg goalie #873 in net instead.

Which is is ridiculous in my opinion. Look at what Jimmy Howard has been able to do since he became the starter and consider the fact he has been playing on teams that are less talented than probably any Red Wing team for the past 15 years. Not to mention he hasn't really had a competent backup since he became the starter.

I'll agree that I'm nervous of a 6 or 7 year contract for Howard. Not because I don't think he's worth it, but you never know what's going to happen in terms of injuries and other issues. It's not like the NFL where all that matters is guaranteed money and you can just cut ties whenever you please. If he all of a sudden becomes DiPietro that cap hit is going to effect us. With that said if that's what Holland and Co. choose to do I'd be fine with that. Howard has proven to be one of the top goalies in the NHL.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Do you really want to give Miller to future division rival?

Because if you want, we don't want him.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I had seriously thought about Ryan Miller, I think before he resigned In Buffalo towards the end of Chris Osgood Era The Detroit was seriously looking at Miller but he decided to resign with Buffalo. I'm just not sure If I would want to trade a soon to be 29 year old Goaltender In Jimmy Howard for a soon to be 33 year old Goaltender In Ryan Miller and It's believed that with his Actress wife out In California that he most likely would go out that way as well and some people had suggest that Ryan Miller wont waive his NTC to play In Detroit any ways.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

No interest. Maybe 5 years ago.

lkleung007

Jun 11, 2012
There are reports out there that Howard wants 6-7 million per year for at least 5 years from the Wings...ouch!!! Can we afford Howard at that price and he is not even a top 10 goalie IMO.

lkleung007

Jun 11, 2012
Not sure where you heard that the rumored deal Is for 6 or 7 years at about $5.0m to $5.5m per year and that a deal Is near.

Heard from a "hockey insider" at TSN...Howard wants in the neighborhood of $6-7 million a year for next 5 years...that would put him ahead of goalies like Luongo in cap hit.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Heard from a "hockey insider" at TSN...Howard wants in the neighborhood of $6-7 million a year for next 5 years...that would put him ahead of goalies like Luongo in cap hit.

Dont always believe what TSN says? Ansar Kahn from Michigan Live who Is much closer to the facts on the Red Wings and stays more In contact with Red Wings GM Ken Holland says It's about a $5.0 million deal over 6 or 7 years I tend to believe him more then any thing that comes from TSN Most times there a bunch of Idiots that sit around a table and speculate on heard rumors. Pretty much like Iginla rumored to only be Involved with Vancouver, Detroit or Pittsburgh and possibly Boston and the LA Kings as well I think theres more to It then that and I seriously doubt that Iginla even gets moved period.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

I doubt that is true and I let him walk for that. Not even close to worth it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like some people will never be happy with Howard unless he's dominating the league and winning the Vezina every year

and even then they'd probably whine about how a Goalie isn't worth $8 million or whatever

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I feel like some people will never be happy with Howard unless he's dominating the league and winning the Vezina every year

and even then they'd probably whine about how a Goalie isn't worth $8 million or whatever

THIS.

Howard is great. I don't care what we pay him, but i would like him for 5 years NOT 7.

These super long contracts are going to be problematic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad