We need better goalie

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We really have to be careful with the length of Howard's contract. Because Mrazek will come up and he could come earlier than we ever can believe. And then, if he is so great and capable to push Howard out from the starter position, we are the next Vancouver Canucks with goalie dilemma there.

So, shorter contract for Howard, for ~4-5years. I think Mrazek is at least another season down in AHL and then replaces Gustavsson (after 2014), and his ELC is on the last year at 2014-15. If we then extend him for 2-3 years we should have that extension and Howard's becoming contract ending at same time 2017 or 2018 that we can decide with whom we will continue, and avoid that Canucks-like situation.

Howard would be 34-35 then, so pretty much we go with Mrazek from that point, but you never know. Injuries can destroy careers etc, you never know. But you can plan it with a good way.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Should I also imagine Mrazek is playing for a "stronger" GRG club than Howard did?
Goalies stats are not like baseball. They rely on the team, so if GRG are in first right now, and were a 3rd or 4th place team when howard was there... I would call the 0.08 difference in save% a wash.

in his 1st year the griffins won the regular season title and had Hudler, Fil, Quincy and Kopecky.

in his second year they made the playoffs and had Ericsson and Quincy

in his 3rd year the team was 13th in the conference but his stat were only slightly worse and he has Ericsson Quincy and Helm in the lineup

in his 4th and final year the team was 4th in the conference and his stats were slightly up the team still had Ericsson and helm, but now also had abby, kindle , and leino.

in his best year at grand rapids (his 4th year) he had a .916 Save % and a 2.51 GAA at the age of 25.

Mrazek (age 20 to start the season) in his 1st year has a .920 save % and a 2.24 GAA and he started the year playing in the most competitive season the AHL has seen since at least the last lockout.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I like Mrazek.

Lets hope he keeps getting better and better.

We definitely should keep Mrazek to get good and pressure howard.

I do not like the idea of 7-8 year deals for almost anyone without 3-4 years of stellar play.

I would like at MOST a 5 year deal for Howard.

Aug 6, 2012
Howard is worth $5M for 3-4 seasons. I think he gets underrated around here, but no goalie is worth a lifetime (or anything close to it) contract.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Howard is the best starting goalie this team has had since Hasek.

Because Osgood wasn't the team's best player in the 2009 playoffs or anything, or an All-Star and Vezina contender in 2008.

Problem with this team in the net. Jimmy probably has career worst season . Team fill not comfortable with backups. Red Wings needs to trade for proven keeper and split his time with Howard

Howard is currently fifth in ES sv%. He has played very well most of this year.

In contrast, Jonas Gustavsson has been the worst player on the team - when in the lineup. He's faced an average of about 23 shots per game, and his GAA is near 3. I don't exaggerate when I say that, in my opinion, he's the worst goaltender the Wings have had on their regular roster since at least Kevin Hodson. And probably further than that; he has worse numbers than Hodson in an era more favorable to goalie stats, and he has faced fewer shots per game than Hodson did.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Because Osgood wasn't the team's best player in the 2009 playoffs or anything, or an All-Star and Vezina contender in 2008.

In contrast, Jonas Gustavsson has been the worst player on the team - when in the lineup. He's faced an average of about 23 shots per game, and his GAA is near 3. I don't exaggerate when I say that, in my opinion, he's the worst goaltender the Wings have had on their regular roster since at least Kevin Hodson. And probably further than that; he has worse numbers than Hodson in an era more favorable to goalie stats, and he has faced fewer shots per game than Hodson did.

Idk I think Gus has been ok, Wednesday was bad, but he has also played a great game, and has only played in 5 games, which is a small sample size. give him 15-20 games before we completely decide what kind of player he is. in my opinion an average backup better than Conklin's 2nd go around worse than when Mcdonald was standing on his head last year.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI

Conklin's second go-around with Detroit has to be the worst season for a goalie I've seen here. Monster has looked good in some games, he just had a bad one against Calgary. I'd give him more games before calling him horrible.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Your assessment is completely wrong. If anything, Howard has stolen 2-5 games. He is our last problem. He is actually one of our bright spots. If anything, Howard has stolen 2-5 games we should have lost. Our problem is defense and scoring.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I would argue goaltending has EARNED us somewhere between 2-5 pts this season.

Joe put up his stats.

Howard is good.

But whether or not you agree is pretty pointless...

We are stuck with Howard and Mrazek for the next 5 years, because we just don't have the assets to trade for MORE goaltending. Unless of course we take luongo for a draft pick or something. (P.S. Luongo will cost us Nyquist or Tatar or someone else we don't want to lose, maybe we can give them filppula... but IMO our team is weaker with Luongo and without filppula vs with filpulla and howard.

Howard is good enough as a starter. I rarely blame losses on him. Much easier to say goaltending is not our biggest problem right now.

(Weak defense)
(Weak offense)

1st 15 games Howard was bad/inconsistant
Last 10 games, he was good.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Problem with this team in the net. Jimmy probably has career worst season . Team fill not comfortable with backups. Red Wings needs to trade for proven keeper and split his time with Howard

Jimmy looked like good goalie last night.

MissNHL

Oct 31, 2008
Hockeytown, Michigan
If Howard can learn to control his damn rebounds I might like him a little bit more.

Never been a fan of Howard, even when he was with Grand Rapids. Only way he will truly win me over is by winning us a Cup...and I don't see that happening.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Jimmy was inconsistent to start the year but has turned it around good. He ranks top10 in all the work horse categories and the output categories are trending towards top10 too.

His starts last three weeks(4-1-2):

Yeah if you look at his performance since the beginning of March he's been very good. In 4 of those 5 games he's had a .938% or higher save percentage. The other game he was .905 SV%. I'd guess that his poor start was due to not playing during the lockout. Our defense is not good, you can no longer say that Nick Lidstrom is making him look good. Kronwall screens him better than the opposing team. :help:

He needs to be our best player in order for us to make the playoffs. Of late he's a key reason why we're winning games.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I don't exaggerate when I say that, in my opinion, he's the worst goaltender the Wings have had on their regular roster since at least Kevin Hodson. And probably further than that; he has worse numbers than Hodson in an era more favorable to goalie stats, and he has faced fewer shots per game than Hodson did.

ty conklin says hello

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
I must say Im a little surpriced about this thread. To me, Howard is the best wings goalie in a long time. Id rank him around 10´th among all the NHL goalies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Till yesterday Howard play about 80% old himself. We don’t have 2nd goalie right now . Wings always had 2-3 good goalie at the time. After game with Oilers players must respond Howard’s great game. It is all about confidence and Jimmy gave it to this team yesterday .:yo:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Because this is HFBoards, this thread will no doubt be ignored by everyone until the next time Howard has a bad game. Apparently it's not good enough that he has let in only 15 goals over his last nine games, with many of those not being his fault.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Howard has been fantastic since the Chicago game. I have no doubt in my mind that if he doesn't make some huge saves early in the game, the result of the game is completely different. He was inconsistent at the beginning of the season but goaltending is by far my least concern for the team.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Because this is HFBoards, this thread will no doubt be ignored by everyone until the next time Howard has a bad game. Apparently it's not good enough that he has let in only 15 goals over his last nine games, with many of those not being his fault.

What was so fantastic about yesterdays game? the glovesave was a tv-save, the penalty shot had him beat, hit iron. Other than that wasn't tested that much.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
in his 1st year the griffins won the regular season title and had Hudler, Fil, Quincy and Kopecky.

in his second year they made the playoffs and had Ericsson and Quincy

in his 3rd year the team was 13th in the conference but his stat were only slightly worse and he has Ericsson Quincy and Helm in the lineup

in his 4th and final year the team was 4th in the conference and his stats were slightly up the team still had Ericsson and helm, but now also had abby, kindle , and leino.

in his best year at grand rapids (his 4th year) he had a .916 Save % and a 2.51 GAA at the age of 25.

Mrazek (age 20 to start the season) in his 1st year has a .920 save % and a 2.24 GAA and he started the year playing in the most competitive season the AHL has seen since at least the last lockout.

Let's also not forget how bad the Griffins were before they called up Mrazek this year. They were 3-7 with a 3.50 GAA. Mrazek showed up and they were immediately better, ripping off 8 straight wins with a 2.38 GAA.

As for the OP, I have no comment, because it deserves no comment.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Let's also not forget how bad the Griffins were before they called up Mrazek this year. They were 3-7 with a 3.50 GAA. Mrazek showed up and they were immediately better, ripping off 8 straight wins with a 2.38 GAA.

As for the OP, I have no comment, because it deserves no comment.

Yeah, the Griffins have been a completely different team since Petr arrived. He's been awesome.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If Howard can learn to control his damn rebounds I might like him a little bit more.

Never been a fan of Howard, even when he was with Grand Rapids. Only way he will truly win me over is by winning us a Cup...and I don't see that happening.

I hate to break it to you, but you're going to have a tough time finding any goalie in the NHL that can take this current Red Wings team to the Cup.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Howard is a great goalie he's just struggled with his consistency. Some nights he's not good and let's in a couple softies and other nights he plays like he did last night against Vancouver and makes spectacular saves.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
Howard is perfect for what we need. If he had more help on defense, people here would be more prone to cut him slack. But this forum is a haven for people who think everybody sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->