We need a top 4 defenseman

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
One shut down DMan, Emelin.
One undersized and not good at shut down D Weaver.
One rookie shut down DMan who is learning, Tinordi.

The rest are PMD who have been sketchy on D (not so much Markov) to start the season. PK has been horrible on D. Gilbert is Gilbert.

That's the reason why we have Edmonton numbers right now.

Horrible is pretty harsh. He's made his share of mistakes but he's also done some great plays that obviously go unnoticed.

Our D group is fine. It's the system that is crap. There's no defensive structure.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Horrible is pretty harsh. He's made his share of mistakes but he's also done some great plays that obviously go unnoticed.

Our D group is fine. It's the system that is crap. There's no defensive structure.

I use horrible as a relative term compared to his previous seasons defensively.

With that said, I fully expect PK to regain his form defensively. And scoring two goals last night is huge. Thankfully we have been scoring goals and winning games.

The season looks pretty good for the Habs. I just wish that Weaver would sit a few games to slit in Beaulieu though.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The best thing to do right now is to be patient. There's no urgency at all. If we press the panic button we will do a Ribeiro/Niiiiiniiimaaaaa mistake again.

There's a lot of time left before the trade deadline and we are 4-1 right now.

One can only hope that Bergevin is not tempted to use Buffalo's second round pick acquired in the Gorges trade to bolster a good, but hardly a realistic contender for the Stanley Cup. Buffalo will finish probably among the three worse teams this year making their second round pick , in what is a very strong draft, very valuable. Someone has to keep whispering in his ear: good asset management, good asset management.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
One can only hope that Bergevin is not tempted to use Buffalo's second round pick acquired in the Gorges trade to bolster a good, but hardly a realistic contender for the Stanley Cup. Buffalo will finish probably among the three worse teams this year making their second round pick , in what is a very strong draft, very valuable. Someone has to keep whispering in his ear: good asset management, good asset management.

It's Minnesota's second rounder. Will be a 45-60 pick, which isn't still isn't a bad bonus pick to have and should be held onto. We'll see what deals are out thete though when the time comes.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
People who think Gilbert is bad defensively are wrong.

So far this season Gilbert has been our best defenceman defensively speaking.

He plays a ridiculous amount of defensive zone starts (like 2/3rds of his shifts) against the other teams best lines, and is still putting up an even-strength corsi of close to 50% and a positive +/-. He is very effective at playing a simple game.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
One shut down DMan, Emelin.
One undersized and not good at shut down D Weaver.
One rookie shut down DMan who is learning, Tinordi.

The rest are PMD who have been sketchy on D (not so much Markov) to start the season. PK has been horrible on D. Gilbert is Gilbert.

That's the reason why we have Edmonton numbers right now.

Tinordi is a good PMD too.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
gorges becomes available at the trade deadline, and he's picked up for a 3rd/4th rounder.

gorges will be a great shutdown guy in the playoffs in a number 5 role for a top team, maybe the bruins, caps, tampa, and haunt us with block shots.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
gorges becomes available at the trade deadline, and he's picked up for a 3rd/4th rounder.

gorges will be a great shutdown guy in the playoffs in a number 5 role for a top team, maybe the bruins, caps, tampa, and haunt us with block shots.

Or players will just go around him like they always do.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Big Buff is easily the most underrated defenceman in the league and much better than Bogo. Not sure he'd be worth the cost, but he'd upgrade our D immensely.

Markov Subban
Beaulieu Big Buff
Emelin Gilbert
?

That'd be the best D-core in the league.

Yup!! Except for me it would be...

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Big Buff
Tinordi-Gilbert/Weaver
-------------- ----------------
Beaulieu-Gilbert/Weaver

AND/OR

Pacioretty-DD-Big Buff
OR
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Big Buff
OR
Bourque-Eller-Big Buff

PK Subban, Price, Big Buff, J.Tinordi...CUP #25 here we come!!

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
And? Big Buff is going to play forward for 20 mins a game and defence for 25?

Haha!! Maybe!! (how about FORWARD for approx. 10min, especially to be parked in front of net during PPs, and DMAN for 15min!!.....just kidding!! maybe!?!).

Truth is...I'm a bit confused as to his position these days! (maybe you can help?!). Last I heard the team asked him (asked him or told him?) to switch to forward??
(I didn't check this season to see if he switched, so not sure about this!?).

Hence the defenceman ''and/or'' forward!!

At least we have the option!

Big Buff...the Babe Ruth of baseball!!

p.s.: Bogosian...too expensive at 5+mil/year (too long of a contract). Plus...isn't he overrated? and way too expensive? I like his potential, but...he has yet to deliver the goods, from what I know, and he's far from a rookie...).
Imo, Bergevin will get a #4-5 playoff warrior dman before or at the trade deadline, unless...our D-Core runs into many injuries.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5