We need a top 4 defenseman

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The best thing to do right now is to be patient. There's no urgency at all. If we press the panic button we will do a Ribeiro/Niiiiiniiimaaaaa mistake again.

There's a lot of time left before the trade deadline and we are 4-1 right now.

It's hard to argue against what you say.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
On the positive side, Habs only play 6 games in the next 15 days, so MT have a lot of time to practice, we'll see where he take it by the end of the month.

So far, I just think the team was poorly prepared to start the season (so it's something that can be fixed).

This is what I'm banking on when i talk about concept.
D is determined by a 5 man unit not 2 guys flinching at the blueline. :laugh:
So far I've hated the lack of elasticity in our 5 man units.
We have guys continually flying the zone breaking that elastic.
We also don't get up the ice in unison once again breaking that elastic.
The Habs best game is the high pressure force. But it needs all hands on board to make it successful.
MT uses this in the PO's but for some reason gets away from it in the regular season.
I would think practice makes perfect? I also think our players would prefer this to the rusty
trap door D we've seen so far.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Too early to make any moves, but yeah our defense doesn't look good at all.

Maybe we could spend a 2nd pick at the trade deadline to pick up a defensively minded dman. I hear that Gorges guy in Buffalo is pretty good...

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Maybe we could spend a 2nd pick at the trade deadline to pick up a defensively minded dman. I hear that Gorges guy in Buffalo is pretty good...

You heard wrong.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

I will forever miss his complete inability to make an offensive play. Yeah not really.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I say we let N8 and Tinner learn from their mistakes, in a year or two, we will be really happy we did. Funny, a month ago, most posters were ok with that plan.

If we are legitimate contenders come the trade deadline, perhaps MB can get us some depth, like he did last year, maybe he cand do even better this time.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I say we let N8 and Tinner learn from their mistakes, in a year or two, we will be really happy we did. Funny, a month ago, most posters were ok with that plan.

If we are legitimate contenders come the trade deadline, perhaps MB can get us some depth, like he did last year, maybe he cand do even better this time.

Absolutely...
There is no reason not to get this D on track...

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Our defence will look a heck of a lot better once Subban actually starts playing like a #1. Singling out Gilbert is ridiculous at this point.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
FWIW, a Boychuk type would've helped but truth be told, are we really ready to give up 2 2nds for a pending UFA?

It is what it is. We'll stick to our guns and hope beaulieu and Tinordi improve over the course of the season. If they don't, then we'll make a move.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
That is the dreaded swarmworm...
Overloading and losing = disaster.
Close in grade "A" scoring chance disaster.

It's not only losing the battles, it's also some of our players missing pretty basic assignments. I think the swarm for a team like the habs fits pretty well. It's just that now, the players seem really disorganized on bad bounces. When it's well implemented, even if they lose battles along the boards, everyone is quickly in position defending against their man. A lot of brainfarts out there, mainly our forwards. And Price is not playing with the aplomb of last year so far, but I'm not worried about that.

i just think the team needs to gel for some time.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
FWIW, a Boychuk type would've helped but truth be told, are we really ready to give up 2 2nds for a pending UFA?

It is what it is. We'll stick to our guns and hope beaulieu and Tinordi improve over the course of the season. If they don't, then we'll make a move.

I definately think the NYI overpaid but considering the result so far and all the bad move they have made, it might be consider a bargain and a great move for them. Personnaly I wouldn't give a 1st or a 2nd pick for rental unless your in the middle of a SC window because those are usually NHLer.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I definately think the NYI overpaid but considering the result so far and all the bad move they have made, it might be consider a bargain and a great move for them. Personnaly I wouldn't give a 1st or a 2nd pick for rental unless your in the middle of a SC window because those are usually NHLer.

NYI have the capspace for him and it seems to be paying off big time.

Nothing against NYI. I wish them success and sometimes you have to be aggressive to achieve that.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Only 5 games in and we're 4-1. Calm the **** down please. The only thing missing was Emelin who was out for one game and Subban to start being Subban. Once Subban starts being Subban it will be fine.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Only 5 games in and we're 4-1. Calm the **** down please. The only thing missing was Emelin who was out for one game and Subban to start being Subban. Once Subban starts being Subban it will be fine.

I'd add Price to that. He hasn't been on top of his game. When he is, everyone will look better.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

I feel so lonely right now.

I want really want to see Beaulieu and Tinordi in our top-6 this season.

Can this happen?

Les Habitants

Jul 21, 2010
Montreal

Can this happen?

Well if one of Markov or Emelin gets hurt for a long stretch I think it can happen, Therrien has been rolling out 3 RHD's and 3 LHD's so it seems injury is the only way. Love that the club made the adjustment to righty-lefty duos, in the past it seemed like they didn't care. Brings better flow to the game. Easier, safer breakouts and dumps, off the boards and out. In the past, we lacked RHD's or at least talented RHD's, and we saw lefty d-men playing right side and messing up. Emelin is a good example, 1st game of the season excluded.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

Can this happen?

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

Can this happen?
I feel better now that my question was answered before I even asked it???

lol

To be honest, one of them will make it.

Real question: can both of them be a top-6?

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Nate and Tinordi will become excellent Dmen as early as now. The vets...meh
We have to agree.

Either Beaulieu and Tinordi becomes a top4 or we are not a contender...

Gilbert and Emelin are great bottom-6.
I understand that Gilbert was punished for being a representative of the NHLPA .
But him and Emelin are barely top-4.

So we are going to be contender team when these guys will be 5th and 6th d-men.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Lol at the idea that Emelin is a top 4 d but Gilbert isn't. Then again this is the same fanbase that hated Diaz but loves Weaver.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
this team needs a player like sekera or z. michalek, michalek is an extremely underrated dman and he would probably cost a lot less than sekera

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Lol at the idea that Emelin is a top 4 d but Gilbert isn't. Then again this is the same fanbase that hated Diaz but loves Weaver.

Weaver was like a good booster shot late in the year.
He has/had his flaws but made up for it with sheer guts something Diaz had little of.
His play this year is probably more indicative of what he gave Fla. he is a true 7.
Gilbert hasn't had a chance to show his true worth in what can best be described as a muddle.:help:
Folks should come around some once he starts to show more cohesion.
That goes for our entire D...

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com

Emelin is playing better so far, now that he's on his good side. Never been a fan of his play, but again so far, he's been looking like a legit top-4.

And Gilbert has been bad so far.

We have to agree.

Either Beaulieu and Tinordi becomes a top4 or we are not a contender...

And you know that won't happen. Simply not good enough. And my gut feeling is that Beaulieu won't ever become a legit top-4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad