We need a top 4 defenseman

ThePriceIsRight44

Feb 6, 2014
And the best D core in East is.... We've played badly as a team not because of PK counting his $ not because price is too stoned or because Gilbert isn't stopping pucks on the PK with his teeth like gorges was. We have looked mediocre because we've only played 5 games, and most other teams have looked worst than we have.
We have the best D core in the East, Emelin is important to our team and Gilbert is better than gorges at everything but hitting and blocking shots so please don't compare the 2.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And the best D core in East is.... We've played badly as a team not because of PK counting his $ not because price is too stoned or because Gilbert isn't stopping pucks on the PK with his teeth like gorges was. We have looked mediocre because we've only played 5 games, and most other teams have looked worst than we have.
We have the best D core in the East, Emelin is important to our team and Gilbert is better than gorges at everything but hitting and blocking shots so please don't compare the 2.

Woke up in a good positive mood? :)

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Of the 7 D we have, 4 of them are very good with the puck on their stick, and the other 3 are quite decent too.

It's coaching strategy making them look bad.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think this whole "we need to upgrade our D" thing is way overblown.

The defense was good last year except for the odd rough patch and it should stabilize this year.

I think MB's goal for this year on defense was to free up minutes for the young guys and see where they are at(Tinordi + Beaulieu as well as Dietz Pateryn Nygren etc) possibly adding a veteran at midseason(a la Vanek). Moving Gorges was to balance the LH vs RH thing plus free up cap space down the road. Gilbert only signed 2 years and weaver for 1 year opens up room for the young guys playing bigger roles.

ThePriceIsRight44

Feb 6, 2014
McDonagh is a pretty good D man

-2, 0 points after 5 games. Busto :sarcasm:

But seriously:

McDonagh-Subban
Emelin-Markov
Gilbert-Beaulieu/Tinner

Back to reality:

We don't need to trade a D man as a panic move but I would personally be ready to keep one of Beaulieu/Tinordi and package the other for Myers. He hasn't been putting up insane numbers, but he's also been playing on one of the worst teams over the past few years.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Myers
Gilbert-Remaining Rookie?

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Of the 7 D we have, 4 of them are very good with the puck on their stick, and the other 3 are quite decent too.

One shut down DMan, Emelin.
One undersized and not good at shut down D Weaver.
One rookie shut down DMan who is learning, Tinordi.

The rest are PMD who have been sketchy on D (not so much Markov) to start the season. PK has been horrible on D. Gilbert is Gilbert.

That's the reason why we have Edmonton numbers right now.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One shut down DMan, Emelin.
One undersized and not good at shut down D Weaver.
One rookie shut down DMan who is learning, Tinordi.

The rest are PMD who have been sketchy on D (not so much Markov) to start the season. PK has been horrible on D. Gilbert is Gilbert.

That's the reason why we have Edmonton numbers right now.

This only tells part of the story I think.
Can anyone give me a name for the 5 man unit defense we are employing?
Balls to the wall Jai Lai ?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I don't find they have looked that bad...it's early season hockey, it's always a bit more run and gun the 1st month with breakdowns and funny bounces on soft ice.

They have been victimized on 3-4 goals to tis point, others were funny bounces or plays where the goalies weren't as sharp as they should have been.

Subban can be a lot better, Emelin is adjusting to a new side and Gilbert to a new team plus they have been mostly on the road so very little practice time.

In the big picture I'm not too concerned.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

The story will change once PK gets back to being PK on defense. And it will improve with Tinordi getting some experience and Beaulieu eventually replaces Weaver.

As far as the name, we can be the "Ole" (Spanish version) defense. As in bullfighting when the matador lets the bull go past him, the crowd shouts out "Ole".;)

ThePriceIsRight44

Feb 6, 2014
He's been with NYR for what, 6 years now? Time to move on, people!

If we had McDonagh we probably don't have Galchenyuk...

I didn't mean to only post that part, I edited the end. I've been over McDonagh for a while, he was mentioned so I brought up how dreamy our D would be with him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The story will change once PK gets back to being PK on defense. And it will improve with Tinordi getting some experience and Beaulieu eventually replaces Weaver.

As far as the name, we can be the "Ole" (Spanish version) defense. As in bullfighting when the matador lets the bull go past him, the crowd shouts out "Ole".;)

The best bull fights I ever saw were actually on Bugs Bunny.

PricePkPatch*

We have a cohesive defense, made of PMDs and defensemen who play physical and can make a pass.

Let Beaulieu and Tinner grow. We will be fine.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Bang on. Agree with every word.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Yeah, looking through the east defensive core, its pretty sad. Rangers have a very good top 4, but they are missing Boyle right now.

The panthers look strong in terms of name power, but too raw. The caps also have a good d on paper, its a matter of the younger guys evolving. They are obviously a bit further along than Florida in the development path.

Yeah, the habs are up there with their d core. I'm not as high on it to say they have the best D, but its not far off (as high as #2 IMO), which is a slam against the eastern conference, really.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
This is a transition year. We don't need another top-4 d-man because we are breaking two guys who have the potential of ending up on the top-4.

Tinordi and Brolieu should both play 50ish games depending on the injuries and how the season goes on. This will give us a good idea of their long-term worth, and will raise their value if we want to trade one.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
It was a stupid thread when it was made, looks even more dumb after tonight. No we don't need a top 4 D man, we already have a top 4 potential D man eating popcorn every game.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Gilbert has been ok so far. This whole thing shouldn't even be presented as Gilbert/Georges dilemma. When Georges was traded I couldn't understand how anyone can think Emelin is a more reliable player. Georges-Subban at some point was one of the best shutdown pairings in the NHL. By keeping Emelin over Josh we are now forced to use Markov as our top shutdown guy (which is reasonable) as well as our first PK choice, not to mention that he's also our main PP quarterback. So we are again riding Markov as our #1 defensman which is not very smart at this stage of his career.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

I believe the term you are looking for is Wushu, the defensive form used by Jet Li in Martial Arts, as the Habs become better few will challenge our defence strategy, IMHO.:laugh::sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad