Post-Game Talk: We lost to Nashville. NASHVILLE.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Oh definitely. Ive said in the past that he plays like he has tunnel vision. That said, he's at least forechecking

Problem is is that people are saying that McDrai et al are playing this way because they're "tired of carrying the team". All they have to do is literally simplify their game and not force plays and it will bring down the GA which they have primarily been culprits of late. It's not like any of the last 3 losses were shutouts or anything, so why do they feel the need to force plays? Because 6 other forwards can't score all the time with a paltry 5-10 minutes of play time? Wow, no shit huh

Yes yes, we all know you guys can rack up the points, and "lead by example" by doing that. How about trying to "lead by example" by backchecking here or there?

Reactions: Yuke and frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Problem is is that people are saying that McDrai et al are playing this way because they're "tired of carrying the team". All they have to do is literally simplify their game and not force plays and it will bring down the GA which they have primarily been culprits of late. It's not like any of the last 3 losses were shutouts or anything, so why do they feel the need to force plays? Because 6 other forwards can't score all the time with a paltry 5-10 minutes of play time? Wow, no shit huh

Yes yes, we all know you guys can rack up the points, and "lead by example" by doing that. How about trying to "lead by example" by backchecking here or there?
First goal last night is everything wrong with this team. Thats what I said after the first period and it was telling how that first goal was scored against our topline. It told how the rest of the night was going to play out. People should watch that goal and spot the problems. The whole line jail breaked the zone. Oh wow, Bouchard has the puck with no puck support. What could go wrong?

If a team was trying to lose it would resemble this.

Reactions: russ99 and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
First goal last night is everything wrong with this team. Thats what I said after the first period and it was telling how that first goal was scored against our topline. It told how the rest of the night was going to play out. People should watch that goal and spot the problems. The whole line jail breaked the zone. Oh wow, Bouchard has the puck. What could go wrong?

If a team was trying to lose it would resemble this.

The bottom 6 problems are part personnel but also a vicious circle of: bottom 6 doesn't score in limited minutes so top 6 played too much > top 6 played too much so they give up GA by being tired and lazy, forcing plays etc > bottom 6 played less because they need top 6 to score to make up for GA > top 6 forces more plays because of the GA > bottom 6 continues to play paltry minutes.

Something needs to break the f***ing cycle. Maybe try playing the bottom 6 a wee bit more and get them involved in the game? It seemed to work when Woody first took over and play them more. Derek Ryan was very vocal about this

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Tortorella would have bench Drai last night
and to be fair, once in a blue moon, It would be a decent idea.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The bottom 6 problems are part personnel but also a vicious circle of: bottom 6 doesn't score in limited minutes so top 6 played too much > top 6 played too much so they give up GA by being tired and lazy, forcing plays etc > bottom 6 played less because they need top 6 to score to make up for GA > top 6 forces more plays because of the GA > bottom 6 continues to play paltry minutes.

Something needs to break the f***ing cycle. Maybe try playing the bottom 6 a wee bit more and get them involved in the game? It seemed to work when Woody first took over and play them more. Derek Ryan was very vocal about this
I wish I could watch Modric and Messi some more instead of this. The Oilers are converting me into a fulltime Football fan. heh

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I wish I could watch Modric and Messi some more instead of this. The Oilers are converting me into a fulltime Football fan. heh

They need someone like Di Maria as inspiration or something too, tbh. (I guess Kane is sort of their Di Maria.)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Coaching would help. Not every line has to be a hurry up and exit, stretch pass to rush chance line. Bottom 6 players have shown in recent games they can run a decent cycle and keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Lots of benefits for this: Less d-zone time, more scoring chances, wear down opponents, reasonable minutes for top lines.

Woodcroft wants us to be a firewagon team, if he didn't, our team systems wouldn't be so bad and players lone wolfing it and chasing the puck all over the ice.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Coaching would help. Not every line has to be a hurry up and exit, stretch pass to rush chance line. Bottom 6 players have shown in recent games they can run a decent cycle and keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Lots of benefits for this: Less d-zone time, more scoring chances, wear down opponents, reasonable minutes for top lines.

Woodcroft wants us to be a firewagon team, if he didn't, our team systems wouldn't be so bad and players lone wolfing it and chasing the puck all over the ice.

I agree, but am wondering (once again) if the inmates run the asylum. They're reverting back to bad habits and forcing plays all over the ice. I don't think it's a coincidence that they look better towards the start of each new coach's tenure. Some would say 'new coach bump' but when the team plays entirely different (systems, player usage etc) I think it's much more than that.

Like you said, the bottom 6 seems to buy in to a decent cycle game and they're rewarded with less minutes. It's absurd

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree, but am wondering (once again) if the inmates run the asylum. They're reverting back to bad habits and forcing plays all over the ice. I don't think it's a coincidence that they look better towards the start of each new coach's tenure. Some would say 'new coach bump' but when the team plays entirely different (systems, player usage etc) I think it's much more than that.

Like you said, the bottom 6 seems to buy in to a decent cycle game and they're rewarded with less minutes. It's absurd

The Oilers had a top 10 D in the league with McDavid and Draisaitl in 16-17 which is the only season they've had a half way decent blue line. I don't think that's a coincidence. Klefbom was a legit no.1 that year, albiet not a superstar no.1, Larsson buoyed by Klef's breakout was a decent no.2, Sekera a good no.3, Russell five years ago was good enough to be a low event no.4, Nurse was the no.5, Benning the no.6 ... everyone right where they should be.

Also people should probably realize McDavid and Draisaitl are not the same person. They're not even that similar in terms of play style. Leon is a big, heavy power forward type of player, Connor is light thunderbolt of a player. The Oilers are hell bent on playing Leon the same minutes that Connor does, but no one can play that kind of minutes without getting gassed except McDavid (and even with him you can see it impact him on some nights) because he's a freak of nature.

Leon getting gassed in December is going to happen if you're going to play him this many minutes. We've seen this exact pattern like 3 years in a row now if not more.

Woodcroft just falls into the same trap as other Oiler coaches ... do whatever it takes to get the 1 or 2 points on any given night and who cares about long term impact, but the Oilers org and even fan base is like that too. It's all good when we win even when we play a bad game, no repurcussions, but when the same exact game bites you in the ass a week later, well now it's a problem.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad